T Nation

Opposite Lifts for Supplementary? 5's Pro w/ All Lifts?

I’m starting to different variation of 531 i’m used to now.

Leader phase (2 cycles)

Day 1 Overhead press 5’s pro + SSL Bench press 5 x 5

Day 2 Deadlift 5’s pro + SSL Front Squats 5 x 5

Day 3 Bench press 5’s pro + SSL Incline Bench 5 x 5

Day 4 Squat 5’s pro + SSL Sumo Deadlift 5 x 5

Anchor phase (1 cycle)

Day 1 Overhead press 3/5/1 + PR set & Jokers + FSL 5 x 5 Bench Press

Day 2 Deadlift 3/5/1 + PR set & Jokers + FSL 5 x 5 Front Squats

Day 3 Bench Press 3/5/1 + PR set & Jokers + FSL 5 x 5 Incline Bench

Day 4 Squat 3/5/1 + PR set & Jokers + FSL 5 x 5 Sumo Deadlift

7th week TM test

Now the questions;

1. Is it ok to hit opposite lifts on the supplementary work?
  2. Will I be hitting the main lifts often enough like this?
  3. Is it ok to do 5 pro’s with all 4 lifts instead of just Bench , Squat and DL as a 3 days a week full body variant?
  4. All around do you think it’s a good to go schedule like this for a few repeated cycles?

Thx alot,

Lately I have been leaning towards not doing this. Its better to really focus on one lift for the day and you can still work the muscle on the opposite lift with assistance. This is what Jim recommends too. It can be as simple as doing leg press or lunges on DL day, just not squats. If there was an exception to this rule I would say it would be bench press only, people seem to have good progress doing it more than once a week, more so than other lifts.

I was also wondering the same thing as the OP. I’m probably going to just do goblet squats on deadlift day and RDLs (db/bb same movement) on squat day.

Oh OK I was basing it a bit on the 351 strength challenge in the beyond book. I really don’t like to ditch front squats though.
Thx for the reply

5s Pro is basically like an over warmup for whatever you do after it. It also helps regulate the weight, if you can do 5 reps at 95% then you can probably do most other set/rep schemes with a lower %. It doesn’t really make sense to start with 5s pro, very low volume for your main lift, then do a different lift right after.

Yeah you right.

I changed it up a bit.

Let’s say I do bench press 5s pro. Then after that I do bench press ssl 5 x 5. Can I still add f.e. Incline bench press as pushing assistance for the pushing category? Or do I need to stick to dumbell work?

Another question, for the pulling category of the accessories. Do I still need to do some kind of pulling between every set of pushing? As I have now the warming up for bench, then 3 sets 5pro, the 5 sets ssl, then the pushing accessory for 3 sets. So that counts to a lot of pushing. I need to even it out with pulling right?

Its a good idea to even out your pushing with some type of pulling movement. It doesn’t have to be major. I often do band pull-aparts between or rear delt flies between sets of bench or press. I also might do pullups or chinups. I don’t necessarily “program” these in and I never do them to tire me out. They are just in there get a bit more pulling volume and activate the muscles in your upper back.