Opportunity to Train as a Pro Weightlifter

[quote]kilpaba wrote:
I understand that my numbers are not world class yet by any stretch, but I would like to think for a lifetime natural lifter who has not been training to be a weightlifter specifically (always for another sport) my numbers show a solid foundation. I have achieved those numbers despite breaking my back in high school, tearing an ACL, snapping my bicep tendon and crushing my heels. According to my doctors I was never supposed to do anything athletic at a high level after each of those injuries. I was never supposed to squat for the rest of my life or even straighten my arm properly after my bicep.

I have also achieved quite a lot in other sports (I am a NGA Pro Bodybuilder and accomplished rugby player). I realize Glenn has his pick of much stronger and talented people than myself, but I can guarantee you that he will never find a more committed athlete than myself. I believe with the time and ability to train intensely, I could become very competitive much as John North did despite not having a weightlifting background. I have two jobs and a young family which limits my gym time at present, but I have made significant progress regardless. If I was devoted full time I am sure I could make a dent at the US records by the time I reach my 30’s. [/quote]

Don’t let some random who’s been her less than a month get you down. You squat and press more than I do at a lower BW than me (though I can clean and snatch more, but that’s what I’m training for).

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

[quote]kilpaba wrote:
I understand that my numbers are not world class yet by any stretch, but I would like to think for a lifetime natural lifter who has not been training to be a weightlifter specifically (always for another sport) my numbers show a solid foundation. I have achieved those numbers despite breaking my back in high school, tearing an ACL, snapping my bicep tendon and crushing my heels. According to my doctors I was never supposed to do anything athletic at a high level after each of those injuries. I was never supposed to squat for the rest of my life or even straighten my arm properly after my bicep.

I have also achieved quite a lot in other sports (I am a NGA Pro Bodybuilder and accomplished rugby player). I realize Glenn has his pick of much stronger and talented people than myself, but I can guarantee you that he will never find a more committed athlete than myself. I believe with the time and ability to train intensely, I could become very competitive much as John North did despite not having a weightlifting background. I have two jobs and a young family which limits my gym time at present, but I have made significant progress regardless. If I was devoted full time I am sure I could make a dent at the US records by the time I reach my 30’s. [/quote]

Don’t let some random who’s been her less than a month get you down…[/quote]

x2

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

[quote]kilpaba wrote:

Don’t let some random who’s been her less than a month get you down. You squat and press more than I do at a lower BW than me (though I can clean and snatch more, but that’s what I’m training for).[/quote]
Yeah, fuck that guy. Kil (as I will refer to you from here on out), you are one of the strongest dudes in this Olympic lifting forum, so… yeah.

Thanks for the kind words fellahs. I am not particularly worried about what the kid has to say, but he is right in the sense that I have a long way to go. That last post was really just to say that I have the drive that it would take to hang with Pendlay’s guys if such an opportunity arose. I have heard the whole “you won’t be able to/should just give it up” bullshit more times than I can count from a lot of different people and I have proven them all wrong. Undoubtedly if you want something bad enough, you can get pretty damn close to getting it even if you just miss it. I can live with that.

It would probably be a rash decision to go even if Glenn did want me with my family situation and all, but once you get a taste for competition and the iron it is tough to let it go. Regardless I am going to shoot for at least a 1500lb. 100% raw PL total (600/400/600) and a 400lb. cj and 315lb snatch within the next year or two. I think this is feasible if I can get to where I am down to one job. All you can do is get out there and work your ass off and try and improve. Once you stop doing that you might as well pick out your favorite hole in the ground. Keep training hard fellahs and thanks for the positivity. I know all the cool kids are cynical these days, but that’s why the cool kids never get shit in life.

kip, can you get coaching at a club?

Whats stopping your joining and Olyclub and training with them? Your f0cking strong. Whats your vert like?

Koing

Koing- Unfortunately there are not a lot of really good coaches in my area and zero Oly lifting gyms (Birmingham, AL, USA). The gym I go to currently has bumpers and something akin to a platform with eleiko training bars.

The owner is a former world powerlifting champ and he is very knowledgeable in terms of general strength training and has all the certifications from USAW. The issue is I don’t believe he has ever really competed at a high level in the sport. He trains with a higher volume/lower intensity approach which I generally do not like.

That said, he does train an Oly lifter currently but it is a college student who will only train at 2 or 3 in the afternoon. No way I can pull it off at present. I am trying to get the Birmingham Barbell Club started again so I can have some like minded folks to train with but a lot of these guys are past their prime and don’t really have the fire in their bellies anymore. I work two jobs currently which means I am stuck training during lunch at my office (yes I convinced my boss to let me put some squat stands and a bench in a storage room) so no olympic lifting can be done except for 1 or 2 days a week. I do own bumpers and use them at the office. Once I have only one job I can start Oly training in the mornings again.

Vert is decent, but nothing crazy. To be honest I have zero point of reference as I never had to be tested on it. I haven’t done a vertical leap test in ages and can’t remember exactly what it was, but I believe it was something over 2 feet @ ~230 BW.

I see about your situation. That sucks mate.

Just lift with the dude when you can. Some coaching will be better then no coaching and you can get your basics down mate.

THE BASICS GO A VERY VERY LONG WAY MATE. I think most people forget this in their goal for the ultimate technique/ routine.

See what your standing long jump is. That’ll give some info and it’s easier to measure reliably.

Hopefully you can get on it!

Snatched 106kg yesterday after 4months of no OLifting, missed 110 twice. Not bad at all! Back felt great, knee felt great, no issues front squating 100 for 6! booyah! I’m going to proper ramp it up this year! I’ll be more smart and not do 'tarded stuff to get myself injured again when not lifting!

Koing