T Nation

Opinions

I am in my fourth year of college, and have been in athletics all four years (Track and Football). I have been surrounded by kids in the weightroom who are all taking some type of steroid. I am 6’1 and weigh around 170 pounds at 5% bf. I have lifted intensly since my freshman year of high school.My bench is right at 305 and my squat is 425. Hang clean is 275x8. I have been questioning whether or not to take any steroids the past year and a half, mainly for the gains. I was just wanting a few more expirienced opinions on what you think i should do, start now or wait. If the opinion is to wait, do you have any alternate routes to gain more size?

eat more.

[quote]MHMillion wrote:
I am in my fourth year of college, and have been in athletics all four years (Track and Football). I have been surrounded by kids in the weightroom who are all taking some type of steroid. I am 6’1 and weigh around 170 pounds at 5% bf. I have lifted intensly since my freshman year of high school.My bench is right at 305 and my squat is 425. Hang clean is 275x8. I have been questioning whether or not to take any steroids the past year and a half, mainly for the gains. I was just wanting a few more expirienced opinions on what you think i should do, start now or wait. If the opinion is to wait, do you have any alternate routes to gain more size?[/quote]

stop worrying about your bodyfat percentage and eat.

[quote]MHMillion wrote:
I am in my fourth year of college, and have been in athletics all four years (Track and Football). I have been surrounded by kids in the weightroom who are all taking some type of steroid. I am 6’1 and weigh around 170 pounds at 5% bf. I have lifted intensly since my freshman year of high school.My bench is right at 305 and my squat is 425. Hang clean is 275x8. I have been questioning whether or not to take any steroids the past year and a half, mainly for the gains. I was just wanting a few more expirienced opinions on what you think i should do, start now or wait. If the opinion is to wait, do you have any alternate routes to gain more size?[/quote]

170 lbs is skinny for someone 6’1" …shit, you’ll still be thin at 200 lbs…

maintaining a 5% bodyfat level is unhealthy…

you can take all the AAS in the world and you won’t gain any muscle or strength if you don’t eat enough food…so no I don’t recommend starting any AAS until you’ve taken care of your food consumption first…

the experience you gain learning to put on muscle before you ever use is very important to later progress while being on…

good luck!

[quote]MHMillion wrote:
I am 6’1 and weigh around 170 pounds at 5% bf. I have lifted intensly since my freshman year of high school.My bench is right at 305 and my squat is 425. Hang clean is 275x8.

If the opinion is to wait, do you have any alternate routes to gain more size?[/quote]

(1) awesome #s. 275 x 8 is ridiculous … 1.6xBW clean for 8 reps … i almost don’t believe it.

(2) eat

(3) more volume

you have the strength foundation to put on some size. don’t turn to anabolics. read up and get after it.

Bastard

I actually was obsessed with keeping my bf% around 5% for the longest time. I didn’t gain all that much LBM during that phase, because I was so obsessed with being ripped to shreds. Juice20 and the other guys are right… eat more and don’t obsess about your bf… that is, if you are obsessing… You don’t really need AAS to get over that little obstacle. Surplus of Calories is the key.

You sound like your naturally strong,you dont need roids just do like the other guys said eat more and keep training like your doing and as you grow bigger and stronger you can can feel you acomplished more doing it on your own.especially later in life,the guys i new that did it natural still looked like they had trained as they aged.the guys i know that got it from juice all shriveled up and dont even look like they trained,and a few now have high voices and sound like little girls compared to the way they used to talk.

Thanks, it is a big help. I have never obsessed the bf% it has just stayed that low, due to the intense wrestling practices back in high school. I have really just been eating the three main meals a day, i guess that is what is limiting me. But i really do appreciate your guy’s advice.

Well, I know this post is late in the discussion, but here goes: If you are an athelete and entering your senior year? bad time to think about this. Hate to make you feel regretful, but maybe you should have thought about this when you were a sophmore before junior year football season started (no track that year … or the other way around-whatever your better sport was). Sure your lift numbers are good because you have been training with what I call “athletic lifts” probably since high school. What you really need to ask yourself is what your goals are. I was a collegiate athelete too, I was drug tested. Do you want to get busted and sit out your senior year? What about after college? Is that it? Are you looking at a professional career in sports? Graduate school? So maybe wait on the juice, from an athletic strategy standpoint. But do whatever you want.

I do suggest that you up your calories. Check out some of Berardi’s nutrition articles. He even addresses student life and how to eat properly (since at the time he was pursuing his PhD … still might, don’t know).

Here are my stats when I was a senior: 8-10 hrs sleep every night (very important and hard to do when in school) your senior year should be cake though, all your hard classes out of the way; well over 6000 calories a day (6000 was my mark, anything over was icing on the cake) make sure you are getting good sources of fat (flax oil, fish oils, olive oil); and I was at 270 lbs and stayed around 10% bf. But then again, I was one of those guys you talk about that was on some kind of steroid … actually a lot of different steroids. But that was almost 3 years ago. I did lose some weight, life tends to do that to you (a real job, car payments, house payments) kind of hit me hard and I have been clean since (no juice). Getting back on the horse though. If you care. Hope this helps.