T Nation

Opinions On Trivium?

I just seen these guys on the television, the music video to “The rising” I think anyway. I thought “Wow these guys can play” but then they got into their thing and I thought they are terrible. Does anyone agree? What are your opinions?

The video reminded me of the video for “One” by Metallica.

Mediocre wannabe-core pseudo-metal. Not even “so bad it’s good”, just bad.

www.anus.com has good information on worthy extreme metal bands.

I disagree with you there. I felt their last album was mediocre, I feel this is of a much lower standard.

[quote]Higher Game wrote:
Mediocre wannabe-core pseudo-metal. Not even “so bad it’s good”, just bad.

www.anus.com has good information on worthy extreme metal bands.[/quote]

Spoken for truth, listen to some real metal : www.metal-archives.com will give you all that you want in extreme music.

When I was younger and more into music than I am know, we had the 4 big groups:

Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax and Megadeth.

I have all their old stuff and still listen to it rather often.

Over the years, I’ve also enjoyed the following:

Meshuggah, Sepultura, Nailbomb, Arch Enemy, Dry Kill Logic and some Slipknot and Carcass and quite a few others who’s name I don’t recall.

Now, if I was looking for something new, but with a sound that’s in a similar vein: heavy riffs, driving bass… The kind of song that makes you drive too fast and break PRs when lifting; avoiding the as much as possible the “barking” singers, who should I check out?

I’m not a musician. Suggestions where “the technique will blow me away” then to leave me cold. Smoke On the Water sounds better to me than a Steve Vai 10 minutes solo…

I like their Ascendancy album, but The Crusade fell short, in my opinion.

[quote]pookie wrote:

I’m not a musician. Suggestions where “the technique will blow me away” then to leave me cold. Smoke On the Water sounds better to me than a Steve Vai 10 minutes solo…

[/quote]

I agree. Young guitar players think speed is always better, but most people just sound so choppy. I am not saying Steve Vai is young or choppy by any means, I am mainly talking about the younger kids who idolize him.

From what I’ve heard of Trivium they are a decent band.

[quote]pookie wrote:
When I was younger and more into music than I am know, we had the 4 big groups:

Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax and Megadeth.

I have all their old stuff and still listen to it rather often.

Over the years, I’ve also enjoyed the following:

Meshuggah, Sepultura, Nailbomb, Arch Enemy, Dry Kill Logic and some Slipknot and Carcass and quite a few others who’s name I don’t recall.

Now, if I was looking for something new, but with a sound that’s in a similar vein: heavy riffs, driving bass… The kind of song that makes you drive too fast and break PRs when lifting; avoiding the as much as possible the “barking” singers, who should I check out?

I’m not a musician. Suggestions where “the technique will blow me away” then to leave me cold. Smoke On the Water sounds better to me than a Steve Vai 10 minutes solo…

[/quote]

That’s too bad because Steve Vai is my fav guitar hero haha. Umm for music, check out Nevermore, and basically any Thrash band, like Kreator, Testament, and you’ll probably like Later Death since Chuck went easy of the harsh vocals. When you mean barking do you mean growling? i.e. Cannibal Corpse?

[quote]Kreal7 wrote:
I agree. Young guitar players think speed is always better, but most people just sound so choppy. I am not saying Steve Vai is young or choppy by any means, I am mainly talking about the younger kids who idolize him.[/quote]

I don’t have a problem with people who enjoy highly technical musicianship and get their pleasure at marveling at the difficulty of a piece; I simply can’t because I’ve never played guitar, bass or drums.

I’ve had people point out to me Lombardo’s great double bass technique on Reign In Blood or explain why Jason Newsted got shafted on …And Justice for All, but these aren’t things I’d notice by myself.

I just thought I’d make it extra clear so that people who know modern metal won’t recommend stuff based on pure technique. I can’t appreciate technique, I just enjoy it if it sounds good to me.

Their Ascendancy cd i felt was great, i loved it when i got it…definitely new material i thought and i was hooked on it big time when i got it…The Crusade cd i thought sucked big time, i was pissed i spent the money on it…but id definltey drop the 15 bucks or so on their Ascendacny cd, definitley worth it in my opinion

[quote]pookie wrote:

who should I check out?

[/quote]

Mastodon and Shadows Fall. Maybe?

[quote]Welsh Warrior wrote:
pookie wrote:

who should I check out?

Mastodon and Shadows Fall. Maybe?[/quote]

Urgh, God now, why don’t you guys check out www.metal-archives.com all true metal, of all the sub genres, there’s bound to be some stuff you’ll like.

Yeah, he said he wants to avoid the “Barking” kind of stuff.

Trivium came from my highschool. They were in every “battle of the bands” the school held for the 4 years we were there - and won most. Personally, I don’t like their music, it’s just not my style, doesn’t do anything for me. But does it surprise me that their getting success?

Not really.

They were always really dedicated and you would always see Matt in the mornings handing out little pamphlets of where they were playing locally. They were always trying for more gigs and working hard on their music. I mean, what more do you have to do to be considered “hardcore” and not a “wannabe”? They loved their style of music and worked extremely hard at it, constantly, for years. How do you consider a lifter “hardcore”? They love moving more weight, and work extremely hard at it, constantly, for years.

[quote]Higher Game wrote:
Mediocre wannabe-core pseudo-metal. Not even “so bad it’s good”, just bad.

www.anus.com has good information on worthy extreme metal bands.[/quote]

True. But to even to compare them to metal is an injustice. I’m not a big metal fan, but I know what it is and they most certainly are not.

Trivium are over produced tripe. They popped up out of no where just in time to cash in on the “emo-core scene” which had been moving away from the more mainstream soft-core (funeral for a friend and the likes, and before anyone says it, FFAF’s old stuff is MUCH rawer and aggressive than what they’re putting out now) to a heavier metal-ly approach.

Emo is just goth with a bit of effort put into the hair and appearance. Instead of looking as grungy and nasty as possible, now you gotta look as nice and shiny as you can.

It’s tiresome really.

lamb of god is good american metal

I think Lamb of God should have their own thread.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
That’s too bad because Steve Vai is my fav guitar hero haha.[/quote]

No problem. Like I said, I don’t know enough to be able to appreciate his technique. To me, his unending solos are just tiresome. My loss.

I’ll check out Nevermore. Kreator and Testament aren’t really new though.

Yeah, when it sounds like the singer is throwing up into the mick. It’s rather wide-spread in extreme metal.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
Urgh, God now, why don’t you guys check out www.metal-archives.com all true metal, of all the sub genres, there’s bound to be some stuff you’ll like.[/quote]

Undoubtedly. I was simply looking for pointers on where to start. With a job and family, I don’t have that much free time available, so I’d like to separate the wheat from the chaff beforehand as much as possible.

That’s why I gave a few examples of stuff I do like and asked for similar, or at least related. And pointed out stuff I don’t like (barking) or can’t appreciate (mad guitar skillz).

Basically, I’m looking for the modern Reign In Blood, Among the Living and Master of Puppets. : )

[quote]pookie wrote:
detazathoth wrote:

Basically, I’m looking for the modern Reign In Blood, Among the Living and Master of Puppets. : )

[/quote]

You won’t get anything of that quality. If you want PM me and I can send you some music.