T Nation

Opinions On This Workout

I am a beginner wanting some feedback on this workout I found and tweaked a little. Looking to gain muscle and burn fat.

4 DAY SPLIT WORKOUT :
Cardio - 10 mins on Bike Pre Workout / Basketball or Sprints After Workout
Monday - Shoulders & Triceps & Abs
4 Sets of 10,8,6,4 Shrugs 3 Sets of 25
Alternate Cable Shoulder Press
Arnold Dumbbell Press
Dumbbell Reverse Fly ( under legs )
Shrugs ( Smith Machine or Dumbbells ) HEAVY
3 Sets of 8,6,4
Cable Tricep Pull down ( Straight Bar )
Close Grip Bench Press
Rope Pushdown
Tricep Dumbbell Extension Overhead
ABS - 3 Sets Of 15

Side Ab Machine
Ab Crunch Machine

Tuesday - Back
4 Sets of 10,8,6,4 Shrugs 2 Sets of 15
Close Grip Pulldown ( Hex Bar on Lat Machine )
Bent Over Row ( Barbel )
Dumbbell Row
Shurgs ( LIGHT )

Wednesday - Cardio

Thursday - Chest & Biceps & Abs
4 Sets of 10,8,6,4
Bench Press
Incline Dumbbell Flys
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
Pushups 3 Sets to Failure

3 Sets of 10,8,6
Dumbbell Curl
Dumbbell Hammer Curl
Preacher Curl 

ABS -     3 Sets of 15 
Side Ab Machine
Ab Crunch Machine

Friday- Legs
Leg Press 3 Sets of 15 12 10
Seated Calf Raise 2 Sets of 12, 10
Leg Curl 2 Set of 10

• Any replacement lifts for better results? What days should I do squats?
  • Sets to Rep ratio?
  • Feel free to fill in Cardio activites which I have not set yet. I usually get on a stationary bike before and after workout, then play basketball.

How new are you? New as in completely new and have never done any sort of lifting/strength based activity new?

If so, starting strength or stronglift 5x5 is about the only relevant answer. That looks like a very poorly designed bodybuilding program, and bodybuilding programs only work when you already have a great base of strength and can power through the large amount of reps.

Your leg day is shit

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
Your leg day is shit[/quote]

Everyday is shit.
Get yourself on a proper program.

And, exactly what did you eat yesterday?

tweet

I would do this:

Lower:

B Squat
leg curl
Split squat
Calf raise
Leg press

Upper
B Ress
Single arm row

Inc DB press
W chin

Military Press
Cable row

The above for upper are supersets.

Do this Mon and Tue then cardio wed, just 20-30 min steady state. Repeat cycle and have sunday off. Rep range is 6-8 and 4 sets each. Do this, eat well and rest well and you’ll do well. Do what you are doing and you won’t. Good luck!

I created a post a few days ago called “Antagonistic Training Split”(in the beginner forums), it might be worth looking into if you wanted to. I’m currently trying it out and providing feedback.

However, it isn’t really optimal for a total “beginner” as it does require a good foundation and a huge willingness to focus on form on each rep.

In addition to all this training(the training really doesn’t matter in terms of what you do, do anything), the nutrition is really the big one. If I was you(and if you are a total "beginner), I’d spend a considerable amount of time googling nutrition and all that follows.

I made a .doc for my “Beginner” friends who saw me blow-up in size and definition, and the first thing I say is

“you spend 6%-7% of your day working out, 60% of being awake, and the remainder being asleep. Your BIGGEST priority should be in the “being awake”(nutrition) portion and sleeping portion”. <— Any human experienced in the lift-style will attest to this being the biggest truth. Don’t ignore it, embrace it.

Good luck!

Your program is terrible .
Read this thread and learn a bit about training.