Opinions on these Numbers? 16 Y/O 181lbs

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Those are almost elite numbers. Damn fine work.

But, uh, vids or it didn’t happen. [/quote]

I don’t know if the standards are different for juniors, but you’ve gotta get like a 1478 total as a 181 to be elite nationally, and its at least 60 lbs heavier internationally, in the open class. I’m pretty familiar with the class since I nearly totaled elite in it (1470) a few weeks ago. That took a 512 squat, 374 bench, and 584 deadlift. OP’s over 150 lbs off.

That being said, the video sufficiently proves to me that your strength is where you said it was, OP. I’m impressed. That’s huge for your age and size. I would DEFINITELY do some meets asap, and get those lifts in the books while you’re still 16! In a few year, you’ll be in the open class, where you’ll need to be much stronger to be highly competitive, but obviously you’ve got the potential to do it. I sincerely hope you stick around and let us follow your journey!!!

[quote]andy7411 wrote:
I’ve been lifting weights for about 2 years now, but just started strength training for powerlifting a couple months ago. I’ve been utilizing the 5/3/1 system of training, but it is very low in volume and frequency so I’ve been looking for a new program to run.[/quote]

I meant to address this as well. Along the lines of what pwnisher said, you have to figure out what your goals are, and whether the program is helping you meet them. 5/3/1 isn’t the highest volume/frequency program in the world, but if you’re still seeing results, does it matter? Now that being said, if your lifts have stalled, you need to figure out where the problem lies. It could be programming, and it could be eating. Those are the most likely culprits everytime. Just some things to think about. Don’t do a program because it suits what you think a program should look like, do it because it’s effectively making you stronger.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

I don’t know if the standards are different for juniors, but you’ve gotta get like a 1478 total as a 181 to be elite nationally, and its at least 60 lbs heavier internationally, in the open class. I’m pretty familiar with the class since I nearly totaled elite in it (1470) a few weeks ago. That took a 512 squat, 374 bench, and 584 deadlift. OP’s over 150 lbs off.[/quote]

Lol. Just offering some words of encouragement since he was wondering whether he’d be a beginner or intermediate. 150lbs is a long way, but with his potential at 16, there’s no reason he shouldn’t be able to get there within a few years.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

I don’t know if the standards are different for juniors, but you’ve gotta get like a 1478 total as a 181 to be elite nationally, and its at least 60 lbs heavier internationally, in the open class. I’m pretty familiar with the class since I nearly totaled elite in it (1470) a few weeks ago. That took a 512 squat, 374 bench, and 584 deadlift. OP’s over 150 lbs off.[/quote]

Lol. Just offering some words of encouragement since he was wondering whether he’d be a beginner or intermediate. 150lbs is a long way, but with his potential at 16, there’s no reason he shouldn’t be able to get there within a few years. [/quote]

100% agree.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

I don’t know if the standards are different for juniors, but you’ve gotta get like a 1478 total as a 181 to be elite nationally, and its at least 60 lbs heavier internationally, in the open class. I’m pretty familiar with the class since I nearly totaled elite in it (1470) a few weeks ago. That took a 512 squat, 374 bench, and 584 deadlift. OP’s over 150 lbs off.

That being said, the video sufficiently proves to me that your strength is where you said it was, OP. I’m impressed. That’s huge for your age and size. I would DEFINITELY do some meets asap, and get those lifts in the books while you’re still 16! In a few year, you’ll be in the open class, where you’ll need to be much stronger to be highly competitive, but obviously you’ve got the potential to do it. I sincerely hope you stick around and let us follow your journey!!![/quote]
IPF subjunior 83kg world records:
Squat - 225kg/495 lbs.
Bench - none set, “world standard” is 155kg/341 lbs.
Deadlift - 270kg/594 lbs.
Total - 622.5kg/1370 lbs.

OP’s total adds up to 1305 lbs. - 475/300/530, he’s pretty close to WR levels. He would definitely be competitive in IPF worlds.

Elite, master, class 1 and all that don’t really mean anything in IPF. In CPU (Canadian IPF) those are just qualifying standards for national and provincial championships the same chart is used for raw and equipped but of course you need a higher class to qualify as an equipped lifter. For example, to qualify for nationals you need class 2 as a raw lifter and class 1 for equipped.

[quote]chris_ottawa wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

That being said, the video sufficiently proves to me that your strength is where you said it was, OP. I’m impressed. That’s huge for your age and size. I would DEFINITELY do some meets asap, and get those lifts in the books while you’re still 16! In a few year, you’ll be in the open class, where you’ll need to be much stronger to be highly competitive, but obviously you’ve got the potential to do it. I sincerely hope you stick around and let us follow your journey!!![/quote]
Squat - 225kg/495 lbs.

OP’s total adds up to 1305 lbs. - 475/300/530, he’s pretty close to WR levels. He would definitely be competitive in IPF worlds.

Elite, master, class 1 and all that don’t really mean anything in IPF. In CPU (Canadian IPF) those are just qualifying standards for national and provincial championships the same chart is used for raw and equipped but of course you need a higher class to qualify as an equipped lifter. For example, to qualify for nationals you need class 2 as a raw lifter and class 1 for equipped.[/quote]

great info. definitely puts this kid’s lifts in perspective.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

Squat - 225kg/495 lbs.

Elite, master, class 1 and all that don’t really mean anything in IPF. In CPU (Canadian IPF) those are just qualifying standards for national and provincial championships the same chart is used for raw and equipped but of course you need a higher class to qualify as an equipped lifter. For example, to qualify for nationals you need class 2 as a raw lifter and class 1 for equipped.[/quote]

great info. definitely puts this kid’s lifts in perspective.
[/quote]

Damn I didn’t realize his lifts were that good either. Bring the title back to the US! Haha. I’d love to follow the OP’s journey as well.

Very nice on the DL. Likewise to me that’s enough proof of your ability.

So, those are very impressive numbers for your age and weight. Keep working hard and don’t get caught up with whether those are elite or master or anything. Just get stronger and you’ll total elite, and most probably way before I do.

"The two most harmful words in the English language are ‘good job.’ " ~Whiplash

You’re strong, that’s for sure. My advice to you: don’t follow what other people are doing. Don’t keep track of the records. Just try to work your ass off and do the best you possibly can. Do what you’ve been doing to get where you are and make small changes where needed. If you look at the records your mindset might change; you might think “I’m doing a pretty good job, I just need to put X more pounds onto a lift to get a record” and you’ll think that that’s good enough. If you get your squat up just enough to get a record when you had the potential to increase it 50 pounds more than that in the same time, you didn’t do your best. Always do the best that you can do, no matter the performance of everyone else around you.

You make bunch of people envious (me at least).

You are really, really strong for your age, size and experience. You’ll have plenty of years ahead and time/possibilities to become much stronger.

Now, do everything you have done smarter and harder and keep pushing!

[quote]Rattus wrote:
You make bunch of people envious (me at least).

You are really, really strong for your age, size and experience. You’ll have plenty of years ahead and time/possibilities to become much stronger.

Now, do everything you have done smarter and harder and keep pushing![/quote]
Thanks man I really do appreciate your kind words. Things like this keep me motivated.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

Squat - 225kg/495 lbs.

Im in the states. Do you know where I can go to find out what I need to do to be able to qualify for nationals then worlds?

[quote]andy7411 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]JayPierce wrote:

Squat - 225kg/495 lbs.

Im in the states. Do you know where I can go to find out what I need to do to be able to qualify for nationals then worlds?[/quote]
Look up USAPL, that’s the American IPF affiliate. They should have all the info on their website.