Opinions on These Motorcycles?

I had not idea that it would be considered a small bike by the pictures. Interesting. I am 5 10, 203 today.

How does it feel…your firt time (posting)?

an 883 is nutless and slow.

If you want a cruiser i’d start with a 750cc-ish cruiser. Any lower and they really don’t have the balls to run on the highway. And don’t go v-twin, get an inline twin or 4.

[quote]JGerman wrote:
I have been looking at the Harley 883 lately. Anybody have any epxeriece or information.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/2009_Motorcycles/2009_Motorcycles.jsp
[/quote]

The company recomends that bike not be ridden over 60mph. That is definitely NOT the bike for me.

How many of the people responding actually ride on a regular basis instead of simply knowing someone with a bike or owning one that has been in storage for 10 years?

[quote]mitchellh wrote:

If you want a cruiser i’d start with a 750cc-ish cruiser. Any lower and they really don’t have the balls to run on the highway. And don’t go v-twin, get an inline twin or 4.[/quote]

I wouldn’t take most cruisers on the highway…which means most are useless if you travel in a big city and actually use it for regular transportation.

There’s a difference between owning a bike just for weekend rides in low traffic…and owning one that needs to get you to work in rush hour traffic on a freeway where no one is going much under 65-70mph.

I know in heavy traffic, I sure as hell wouldn’t want a bike too slow to get out of sticky situations quickly.

not on a regular basis but yes

I currently ride a 07 gsx-r750. Do ~15k miles a year, daily commute and back roads(missouri has some amazing back roads). Been on the street for 3 years, dirt since I can remember.

Hey I am selling my bike. I started on this one and if you are not a maniac its ok. I think it is up to the driver. I was going for a Ninja 250 but I felt I would out grow it quick. I am glad I went with this one.

Although I have to say that starting small is the more logic and correct thing to do.

About the Motorcycle safety course: its a must!

http://blacksburg.craigslist.org/mcy/1258491540.html

Funny I have about two post on T-Nation one about finding a Gym in Bristol, Uk and one about selling my bike.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
JGerman wrote:
I have been looking at the Harley 883 lately. Anybody have any epxeriece or information.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/2009_Motorcycles/2009_Motorcycles.jsp

The company recomends that bike not be ridden over 60mph. That is definitely NOT the bike for me.

How many of the people responding actually ride on a regular basis instead of simply knowing someone with a bike or owning one that has been in storage for 10 years?[/quote]

I have never seen a dude ride an 883…It’s a chick bike.

I’ve been riding since 81’ and dirt riding before that.Worked my way up from a 175-250-550-current GS 1150.Still have the 175.If it wasan’t so fuckin’ ugly I would restore it.

I would really recommend getting a dirt bike first and getting plenty of time in on that. You will not be able, with a street bike, to learn the aspects of controlling a bike that you automatically learn on a dirt bike.

No dirt bike experience, then quite likely first time you slide on the street you will crash, alnost undoubtedly with high repair costs and possibly with significant injury.

Have dirt bike experience and rear wheel slides are nothing, in most cases.

On whether someone replying rides regularly: I did until last November when my ZX-12R was stolen. Haven’t been able to replace it. :frowning:

mitchellh wrote:

If you want a cruiser i’d start with a 750cc-ish cruiser. Any lower and they really don’t have the balls to run on the highway. And don’t go v-twin, get an inline twin or 4.

I wouldn’t take most cruisers on the highway…which means most are useless if you travel in a big city and actually use it for regular transportation.

There’s a difference between owning a bike just for weekend rides in low traffic…and owning one that needs to get you to work in rush hour traffic on a freeway where no one is going much under 65-70mph.

I know in heavy traffic, I sure as hell wouldn’t want a bike too slow to get out of sticky situations quickly.[/quote]

I’d be more then happy to ride a shadow 750 on the highway or anywhere else. They’ve got more then enough power to get you to 100mph quicker then just about any car and a decent cruiser(read not harley) is almost as maneuverable as a zx-14 or larger sport/sport touring bikes.

[quote]redzhark wrote:

Funny I have about two post on T-Nation one about finding a Gym in Bristol, Uk and one about selling my bike. [/quote]

You want to go to the Ace:

http://www.ace-cafe-london.com/

This is my first bike:

[photo]22827[/photo]

Aprilia RS125cc Racing Junior Full Power.

It is super fast and a lot of fun for a beginner.
I have a colleague who is a motorcycle enthusiast, professional license about your height maybe taller. He took it for a ride and said it was very light and powerful so the speed was awesome.

It loves to be reved and the engine ( 2 stroke ) performs better at high speed.

If you get it restricted it is easy to desrestrict from an Aprilia Forum racing website.

And this is what I want in future, and it has to be future as it is a prototype:

[photo]23525[/photo]

[photo]23526[/photo]

[photo]23527[/photo]

Alpha – have you seen the articles/pics on the new Aprilia 1000 V4? (Forget the exact name for it.)

I would say buy the V-star. Then when you are sick of it and you feel confident, buy a bigger bike. This said, I buyed this bike couple of week ago.It is a 2002 but it is like new.
check this out

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Alpha – have you seen the articles/pics on the new Aprilia 1000 V4? (Forget the exact name for it.) [/quote]

Yes! RSV4 1000. It is the new Aprilia superbike.
It is like my bike but on steroids.
It is relatively light weight for a 1000; 385.8 lbs dry weight: fuel tank 17L
My bike is 280lbs dry weight 17 L fuel tank - and I have pushed this thing up hill ( to push start coming down )
The engine has a whopping 4 cylinders, 4 stroke: exhaust 4 into 2 into 1…It looks like a musical instrument!
My engine has a single cylinder, 2 stroke 1 exhaust and I have to say it is the only thing that I don’t like is the “mosquito” noise. I love the roar of thunder from the 1000 superbikes!
My bike can get into triple digits speed desrestricted ( restricted it is up to 95mph ) and has six gears. The factory version of the RSV4 gets to 290mph.
The RSV4 did the fasted lap in a superbike test by Brazilian magazine motociclismoand won by over a second from second place Suzuki and Honda third.
It is said Aprilia wants re entry into Motogp and wants to start winning. They may also enter the American superbike racing in 2010.

The racer looks like a bullet! The factory version looks powerful and elegant. Very compact but streamlined. My bike is very aerodynamic: You can hug the tank like a leech and ride as if you and the bike were one. I can imagine the same for this one. It is set here in the UK at a very affordable 15.000 British Pounds ( before all the taxes ).

I am going to an Aprilia dealer next week to get a new spark plug for my bike and will check it out: You can actually book to test drive it. Well, I can’t because the law only allows me to ride 125ccs on my learner’s license but I want to hear the sound of the engine!

I won’t be ready to handle the power in one of those at least for the next 2 years and to be honest if it is that much more powerful I might become an organ donor if I play on the RSV4.

But hey, if I must die then that’s the way I want to go out, eh?

I started on the Triumph Legend (900cc triple), and later moved up to the Speed triple. Both are excellent bikes if you know what you are doing. Now that I’m older and . . .ahem. . . more responsible, I’m thinking about the Triumph Thruxton.

Real men ride British. . .

/endthread

JGerman wrote:

How many of the people responding actually ride on a regular basis instead of simply knowing someone with a bike or owning one that has been in storage for 10 years?[/quote]

WTF? Why don’t they put pedals on it?

[quote]D3HT09 wrote:

Real mechanics ride British. . .

/endthread[/quote]

Fixed that for ya:)

[quote]Alpha F wrote:
Bill Roberts wrote:
Alpha – have you seen the articles/pics on the new Aprilia 1000 V4? (Forget the exact name for it.)

Yes! RSV4 1000. It is the new Aprilia superbike.
It is like my bike but on steroids.
It is relatively light weight for a 1000; 385.8 lbs dry weight: fuel tank 17L
My bike is 280lbs dry weight 17 L fuel tank - and I have pushed this thing up hill ( to push start coming down )
The engine has a whopping 4 cylinders, 4 stroke: exhaust 4 into 2 into 1…It looks like a musical instrument!
My engine has a single cylinder, 2 stroke 1 exhaust and I have to say it is the only thing that I don’t like is the “mosquito” noise. I love the roar of thunder from the 1000 superbikes!
My bike can get into triple digits speed desrestricted ( restricted it is up to 95mph ) and has six gears. The factory version of the RSV4 gets to 290mph.
The RSV4 did the fasted lap in a superbike test by spanish magazine motociclismoand won by over a second from second place Suzuki and Honda third.
It is said Aprilia wants re entry into Motogp and wants to start winning. They may also enter the American superbike racing in 2010.

The racer looks like a bullet! The factory version looks powerful and elegant. Very compact but streamlined. My bike is very aerodynamic: You can hug the tank like a leech and ride as if you and the bike were one. I can imagine the same for this one. It is set here in the UK at a very affordable 15.000 British Pounds ( before all the taxes ).

I am going to an Aprilia dealer next week to get a new spark plug for my bike and will check it out: You can actually book to test drive it. Well, I can’t because the law only allows me to ride 125ccs on my learner’s license but I want to hear the sound of the engine!

I won’t be ready to handle the power in one of those at least for the next 2 years and to be honest if it is that much more powerful I might become an organ donor if I play on the RSV4.

But hey, if I must die then that’s the way I want to go out, eh?

[/quote]

Yes, Aprilia is turning out some sweet stuff.

I’m a Kawasaki man, but in an ideal world, after getting a Kawasaki again I would deflinitely like that Aprilia, and also as the mid-displacemet V-twin supermoto. The two-stroke you have is an outstanding piece as well. Aprilia is doing really good work.