Opinions on Rack Pulls?

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
They are good if your actually using them to improve deadlift. They get a bad name sometimes by people starting too high and using more weight than their DL 1RM.[/quote]

ROTFL at your avi…soo true!!

/ hijack.

I like them to practice getting your shoulders “behind the bar” and punching your hips forward - starting below the knee when your in position, using a small knee flexion.

And there definitely good for building some muscle on your upper back and improving your grip.

[quote]tom8658 wrote:

[quote]jacob-1310 wrote:
thanks for all the advice everyone… im doing 5/3/1 at the moment and it was deadlift day yesterday and i did my deadlifts then did rack pulls - might of over taxed. was worried about injury today but back feels quite strong… i will definitly experiment though - maybe in thhe next few cycles
thanks[/quote]

get the 5/3/1 for powerlifting e-book, he talks about how to use rack pulls.

the gist of it is

• pull from below the knee
  • don’t go for max reps on your final set of deadlifts
  • do 4x6-8, then don’t go crazy with the rest of your accessories[/quote]

yeah ive got the ebook, didnt really pay attention to the rack pulls though… thanks for the infomation!

Read my article on rack pulls. Rack Em Up — Rack Pull Variations

Where I find them most helpful is in sticking point training. As long as you start where the bar SLOWS, not where it stops. Due to various back injuries (and I’ve got an absolute crapload), there have been times when I could not get to the floor to pull. Sticking point rack pulls always resulted in me coming back to the floor with bigger maxes.

[quote]Nikhil Rao wrote:

Where I find them most helpful is in sticking point training. As long as you start where the bar SLOWS, not where it stops. Due to various back injuries (and I’ve got an absolute crapload), there have been times when I could not get to the floor to pull. Sticking point rack pulls always resulted in me coming back to the floor with bigger maxes.[/quote]

am reading now. Thanks for the infomation

[quote]jacob-1310 wrote:

[quote]Nikhil Rao wrote:

Where I find them most helpful is in sticking point training. As long as you start where the bar SLOWS, not where it stops. Due to various back injuries (and I’ve got an absolute crapload), there have been times when I could not get to the floor to pull. Sticking point rack pulls always resulted in me coming back to the floor with bigger maxes.[/quote]

am reading now. Thanks for the infomation[/quote]

Just a practical note to think about. People with back issues (e.g. older lifters like me who are really anxious to avoid them) are pretty well served by doing rack pulls (Rao’s article says it all) periodically as a break from deads. The reason – and this is my personal experience – is that training the back directly at higher loads to resist flexion is a pretty good way to help avoid injuries. Limit of a deadlift is always going to be the back, so treat that as the weak link. Rack pulls (and also RDLs) can be cycled as part of a strategy for maintaining good anti-flexion strength. Read anything by Stuart McGill on back injuries to get more of an overview.

YMMV…