Opinions On Plan

They’re higher rep squats. It’s not on a strength day. But they would be easy to move if it becomes a problem. So I will definitely look out for that.

Face pulls, pull aparts, and abs don’t really count as exercises. Those things aren’t meant to be loaded heavy. They’re maintenance for shoulder health. As pushdowns for elbow. And abs are self explanatory. There are 4 real working exercises each heavy day.

And like I said, Friday is s body building day. I already did bench/incline Monday and press/dips Wednesday.

From Beyond 531, “When doing a pushing exercise (the press or the bench
press), also choose a pulling exercise”…press example, “• All warm-­­up sets supersetted with band pullaparts for 20 reps (5 sets of 20
reps
total)…All workout sets supersetted with dumbbell rows for 10-­­20 reps (3 sets of 10-­­20
reps total)… All sets supersetted with barbell curls for 10 reps (3 sets of 10 reps total)”

This goes from warm up, work sets, joker’s, to fsl

I havent maxed out ub probably a year because I has stopped for a while.

[quote=“arch7angels, post:22, topic:224070, full:true”]
Face pulls, pull aparts, and abs don’t really count as exercises.[/quote]
???

I don’t understand guys like you who want advice but refuse to listen to anybody. You just want someone to tell you that you’re right when you’re not. Do whatever you want.

Arch7angels

One of the most important things is total dedication to the plan :slight_smile:

What is your 1rm?
Bench
Squat
Deadlift

And maybe OHP?

Sorry man. I didn’t intended to come off that way.

The point about chins and squats totally makes sense. I’m not just looking for validation.

i really only disagree with the too many exercises. One for one is great for internet debates. I appreciate the help.

That’s very true.

I haven’t maxed in quite some time.

My last rep maxes were as follows with maybe 5 left in the tank on upper, and 3 on lower.

Squat: 245x6
Bench: 175x10
Deadlift: 250x8
Press: 130x7

The real question is how do you want to gauge that you are getting stronger? Reps/sets/weight? Rep maxes, reps for time…etc.

If you aren’t going to compete, then do whatever you think will work. You don’t really need the opinion of the PL side of this forum. If you aren’t going to compete, I think what ever you do will be fine. If competing isn’t the focus, just about anything will work for general strength and health.

Good luck to you.

Good question. I would say a combination of both. Rep maxes and tonnage. When one stalls you have Theo there to play with.

Yea, definitely no competing for me. Really just about general health and strength.

Thanks for the support man. Best of luck to you too!

Maybe those don’t count as exercises either since you’re not really trying. Or maybe you’re just weak. You seem to like Jim Wendler a lot, go ask him what he thinks. He has a forum on this site.

Have fun playing with Theo!

Hey no need for attitude man. I was respectful to you.

Face pulls and pull aparts are recommended in plenty of programs for shoulder health. If you can’t do that and some light pushdowns without it affecting your main lifts, I wouldn’t go around calling other people weak. But last i checked, this isn’t a dick measuring contest.

I’m sorry that I want to do a little more than squat, bench, and deadlift every day.

I still wouldn’t shit on anyone who did want to though.

You’re only saying that because you know you would lose.

Just pick a few lifts that you want to get good at and do them. Pull aparts and pushdowns won’t affect your main lifts unless you do ridiculous volume on them, they are mostly just a waste of time - especially for someone like you. If you aren’t doing much bench volume and you are already doing chin ups and rows then I don’t see why you need band pull aparts and face pulls. I do those because I am benching five days a week and I don’t want to waste my energy on chin ups and rows, I do enough of those already. Just get your priorities straight, your program brings to mind the saying “jack of all trades, master of none”. That’s what the first few people who responded said, what advice do you actually want to hear?

Lol if you’re concerned about the size of anyone else’s dick, you have more issues than winning an argument with someone on the internet can help with.

I did pick a few lifts. Squat, bench, deadlift, and press. And essentially two accessory lifts for each. Like a million popular programs suggest.

It’s funny how you can say what is a waste for me. I sit at a desk, and have wonky shoulders. They help my posture and my shoulders feel good. Therefore, are not a waste. Chins and rows are for muscle and strength. Face pulls an pull aparts are for health and mobility. This is pretty commonly agreed upon stuff.

My priorities are clearly different than yours, as I see no need to bench five days a week. But if you do, and it works, that’s fucking awesome man. There’s a huge difference between having different goal from someone else, and what is logically sound programming. Different goals, involve different programing. And that’s okay. Lol

I just wanted opinions. An extra set of eyes doesn’t hurt. And out of the two you gave me, I completely agreed with one. Take it and move on man. Again, programing for powerlifting and programing for general strength will look different. My goals are not powerlifting based. I’m not going to die if I do incline db press instead of bench 5 days a week.

Different strokes for different folks. But if you have a problem with a main lift and two, or even three in some cases, assistance lifts…you have a problem with way more plans than just mine.

Why not just do 5/3/1 or another set programme/method and make progress with it until you no longer can? Seriously, from experience I say don’t write our own programmes, you’ll only be biased to yourself. If you want “personalised” then hire a coach

Exactly what I have been trying to say. Thank you very much!

I absolutely would if I had the money, but sadly that’s not an option right now.

As far as 531, I prefer working with straight across sets. It’s a mental thing for me. Which is why I like his 531 advanced from the beyond book.

5x5 @ 75%
5x3 @ 85%
5x1 @ 95%

But I also like sticking with rep maxes, and using some autoregulation as far as when to move to the next phase. Why change if you’re still progressing ya know?

I also just enjoy programing and using myself as a guinea pig.

But you’re not wrong, obviously a personal plan from a coach would be best. But since I can’t afford that I tried to use the knowledge I’ve gotten from others.

Sounds more like you’re the one who’s concerned, I haven’t typed the word “dick” until now.

I’ve not read many of the replies. I just found myself spending too much time on minor details and overlooking basic principals of training when I programmed for myself. Too many goals at one time which seems the case now but no one ever got better by just always doing what they’re told by others, he’ll learn best from his own experiences. This programme might be the next 5/3/1, you don’t know until it’s been tried

Except you apparently disagree with a lot of the concepts from it. So I’m not sure why you would say that.

Super common. Majoring in the minors. To quote Wendler again haha.

I tried to stick with things that either help my numbers, or physically make me feel better.

Here’s to trying and learning though. Thanks man.

1 Like

You asked for opinions and they’ve been given. I’m not saying don’t do it, I’m just saying your efforts are better invested in outlets that are already proven. If you want to run your own programme then do so, just don’t ask for people’s opinions on it if you’re going to do it anyway otherwise you’ll never actually do it as intended