T Nation

Opinions on My Workout?

Don’t usually post, but am always reading here. I was thinking after reading TCs rant on the forum that I ought to post now and see what kind of responses I get. I will greatly appreciate your feedback. Thank you ahead of time. Here is what I do every other day:

Semi-supinated pull-ups assisted matched with unassisted dips.

Deadlifts 6 or 7 sets of six reps

Bench press 6 or 7 sets of six reps matched with 6 or 7 sets of rowing

1 hour of cardio after each workout, walking up the side of a steep, steep ridge.

I’m 40 and have been working out for only 14 months. I like to work out. It gives me a great buzz. Is this enough work for someone my age? Do you see any unbalances? Thank you.

Skystud

Maybe add some kind of squats.

Ditto on the squats.

If you’re getting what you want from your workouts, then they’re fine. Do you have any specific goals?

That workout worked pretty well for me for about 4 months. Dips, pullups, clean/front squat/OH press and deadlifts. I was doing singles at the time (following a modified Steve Justa program), but I grew and got stronger on it.

If I were to do it again, I’d probably throw sumo deadlifts in to work the squatting muscles more. I lost a lot on my squat since I stuck to conventional deads.

The walk up the steep,steep ridge is an excellent addition. I’ve been doing that on a ginormous hill near my house and I can say that the resulting conditioning has been excellent for my workouts.

Keep at it if it’s working for you I’d say.

[quote]skidmark wrote:
That workout worked pretty well for me for about 4 months. Dips, pullups, clean/front squat/OH press and deadlifts. I was doing singles at the time (following a modified Steve Justa program), but I grew and got stronger on it.

If I were to do it again, I’d probably throw sumo deadlifts in to work the squatting muscles more. I lost a lot on my squat since I stuck to conventional deads.

The walk up the steep,steep ridge is an excellent addition. I’ve been doing that on a ginormous hill near my house and I can say that the resulting conditioning has been excellent for my workouts.

Keep at it if it’s working for you I’d say.[/quote]

Thanks for your input. Do you know where I can go to learn how to do front squats?

If not its no big deal, I’ll do a search but I was reading an article by Dan John and he seems to favor the Front squat too. I think I’ll try to work them in on a split or something.

Thanks again.

Skystud

[quote]Seattle_Lifter wrote:
First, good job on working out consistently. That fact alone should provide numerous benefits. With regard to your program, I think you could benefit from making some changes. Many strength coaches have been writing about major movement patterns and building a workout with those in mind. I see the major movement patters as:

Upper push (both horizontal and Vertical)
Upper pull (both horizontal and Vertical)
Lower bending
Lower squatting
Torso twisting

Of course the list above could easily be debated, it seems to work and keeps it fairly simple.

Your routine has
2 Upper push (both horizontal)
2 Upper Pull (1 horizontal and 1 vertical)
1 Lower bending
0 Lower squatting
0 Torso Twisting

Your current workout has 4 upper body movements with only 1 lower body movement. By balancing out the above structure you would end up with many exercises. A good way to incorporate this would be to create 2 workouts, A and B. You then alternate workouts each time. There are of course other movement patters than involve less joints that many or may not get hit during exercises for the majors.

Also, another factor to build into your workouts is unilateral versus bi lateral. This especially becomes more important as we age. It?s not a bad idea have a 50/50 mix for general training.

To sum it up you might use a template like the following

Workout A
Lower bending (conv deadlift)
Upper push vertical (standing alt DB presses)
Upper Pull horizontal (1 arm DB Rows)
Lower squat (Bulgarian Squat ? rear leg elevated on bench)
Calf work
Wood chopper (rotational overhead cable exercise)

Workout B
Lower squat (front squat)
Upper push horizontal (incline bench)
Upper Pull vertical (chin ups)
Lower bending (1 leg deadlift)
2 other exercises such as arms, abs, grip etc.

Good luck.
[/quote]

Thanks a million Seattle Lifter. You’re a wealth of information. I will definately work a split similair to the one you suggested.