T Nation

Opinions on My New Workout Plan?

I,ll give a quick back drop on me

about 2 years ago i started on my weight training( alone) no real help other then sites like this. ( thanks to all those that do help )

I was 320 lbs with at lest a 50% body fat. with lots of work in the gym and diet control i,m now down to 210lbs
i was working out 5 days a week with a program i designed myself ( from lots of articles and from my life style ) i believe i have run that work out to its limits.. I also did a small cycle about 6 months ago, got some results but like i said i,m about run its course and i dont plan on another cycle for some time.. want to see what i can do with my new program..

I,m 42 and will bump my work to 6 days.. hitting each body part two times a week ( old program was 1 body part per work out doing 5 sets of 8 reps ) with at lest 8 targeted movments

I,ll post my new one and i,m hoping for some feed back..
ie.. were you would change things, add or remove..

Now keep in mind this is not some new style or work out plan.. i just tweeked things i think i need to address..
goals are lose spare tire (about 20lbs)
gain chest and leg size
gain strength

so here it is

6 day work out ( start date March 23rd end date May 9th )

Day 1 Chest/Triceps/Forarm

Incline DB Press
DB Flies
Flat Bench
Bar Push downs
cable Curls
Hammer Curls
Wrist Curls
Reverse FA Curls

Day 2 Back/Shoulders/Biceps

Dead Lift
Cable Row
DB rows
Military BB Press
Seated DB Press
Laterals Front/Side
Easy Bar Curl
Preacher Curl
DB curl

Day 3 Legs/Abs

Leg Press
Leg extention
Leg Curls
Seated Calve raises
Lunges (Side)
Cable Crunches
Leg raises

Day 4 Chest/Triceps/Forarm

DB Flat Bench Press
Incline Bench
Cable Flies
Hammer Press
Skull Crushers
Over head press
Cable pushdown
Hammer Curls
Wrist Curls
Reverser FA Curls
Day 5 Back/Shoulders/Biceps

Bent over rows
Cable PullDown
Shrugs/farmers walk
Seated Military Press
Arnold Press
Laterals Back
Cable Easy Bar Curl
One arm Cable Curl
Straight Bar Curl

Day 6 Legs/Abs

Standing Calve Raises
Leg Press
Leg extention
Leg Curls
Seated Calve raises
Roman dead lifts
Cable Crunches
Leg raises
Sit ups

5 sets of 8 to 12 reps. (first 2 sets are warm up sets with 12 to 20 reps)
Warm up 5 min run
Cardio will be done at the end of every workout 15 to 20 min ( run/stairs/ski )

Over kill… Your sacrificing quality for quantity. But that’s just my opinion.

It seems like you will be doing a lot for what may be little returns. I always use 531 programming for when not training for a meet, and believe 531 is a program that will suit anybody well

If you are looking to lose those last few pounds of belly fat sorry to say 90% of that is straight up diet.

Plus I agree with the two knuckle heads above me.

I’m with the others. Keep it simple and zero in on your diet.

Another vote for following a simple, strength-centered workout plan, coupled with a diet you can live with.

as far as what your doing this is counter productive too much volume and the frequency in which you train is too high. i would start out with 5x5 2-3 days per week workout 1 squat bench press row workout 2 deadlift military press barbell curls then repeat.

How are your joints and spine?
I like high volume pump training - easy on my older joints and the pump feels great!

T-Nation has the great Serge Nubret’s pump training program that I really like;

High volume may be tough natty. I have to switch after my CNS gets drained and go heavy & low volume again with more rest days after several weeks. Variation helps me a ton anyway.

Look into nutritional ketosis if carbs (sugar) is an issue and you want to drop the last bit of fat. Maybe try a Youtube search - Doctors; Phinney, Attia, Volek, D’Agostino et al.

thanks for the feed back…

I have done the 5x5 before ( ran it for 16 weeks ) when i started out… 3 days i believe a week
then switched to isolation work outs i.e… 1 body part per day this work out was 5
days a week around 1-2 hours per work out pending cardio training but on average
it was 1.5 hours. ran this program for a year… with little to no issues
and lost 100lbs

my joints and body have never felt better… i,m not feeling any signs of over worked body parts
thats not to say it will not catch up on me sooner or later.

i have put myself on a better meal plan… and am into my second week on this program
most days i feel i have not even worked out after leaving the gym… so my rest times will drop
and see if that works…

i will however keep a close eye on the over training part…