T Nation

Opinions on my Lifting Routine, Getting into PLing

I’m a novice young lifter trying to get into powerlifting. I like to keep my workouts short and simple (45-60min) that’s why I only use 2 exercises per session. What do you guys think? Is this ok? or should I add more assistance work?

Monday:
-Bench Press
-Weighted chin-ups

Tuesday:
-Low-Bar Squats
-Good Mornings

Thursday:
-Standing OHP (I treat the OHP as a main lift)
-Bent-over rows

Friday:
-Sumo Deadlifts
-Romanian Deadlifts

I’d do the lifts more than once per week.

More main lift will probably be beneficial lel.

Wut are your numbers for SBD?
Why these assistance exercises and wut are your maxes on them?
Used these assistance exercises before and got good carryover?

Maybe like:

M Squat/Bench
T OHP/Assistance

T Squat/Assistance
F Deadlift/Bench

What are your best lifts? How have you been training so far?

You definitely need more focus on squat and bench, all your assistance lifts have some carryover to the deadlift but you only have OHP for a pressing variation and nothing for your quads other than squatting once a week. You probably don’t need a whole bunch of variations, squatting and benching twice a week should be enough. And there is no point in treating OHP as a main lift unless you are planning to compete in Mark Rippetoe’s strengthlifting rather than PL.

Also, don’t expect that you can get far with workouts of only 45-60 minutes. You are severely limiting how much volume you can do, and that will limit your progress. It would be nice if we could all just do quick and easy workouts and get bigger and stronger, but in reality it just doesn’t work that way.

Bench: 165lbs x 1
Squat: 205lbs x 1
Deadlift: 245lbs x 1
OHP: 100lbs x 1
Body weight: 160 lbs

I’ve been training consistently for 2 months so far

Do starting strength, or some other basic linear progression program. After one month of training there is no way you are qualified to design your own program.

I see you edited that from one month while I was typing, not that it makes much difference. Your numbers don’t suck for someone who just started, but you can make fast progress at this point with the right program so I suggest you take advantage of that.

I’ve ben adding 5 lbs for bench and OHP and 10 lbs for squats and deadlifts every single week with no problem at all. And some times I feel like I could progress much faster than this.

So squat 2-3 times a week and bench and deadlift twice. When it gets hard to add 5 or 10 lbs. then make it 2.5 or 5lbs. When that stops working, change your method of progression.

Why do you think this?

I built my deadlift from 305 pounds to 600 pounds in two years without ever spending more than 60 minutes in the gym. Most of my workouts were/are between 20 and 30 minutes.

Your dedication to speaking in absolute-know-it-all-terms is impressive, but you (should) know that half the stuff you speak as fact is not the rule.

Is that counting your warmup sets?

I’m not trying to act like I know everything, I just don’t see or hear of people with impressive lifts who do quick workouts like that and pretty much every program out there will have you spend over an hour in the gym. Since we are talking about a beginner here, take any typical 5x5 program where you are doing at least 2 big lifts for multiple sets. If you take 10 minutes to warm up (which sounds pretty rushed to me) for each lift and rest 5 minutes between work sets then you will spend an hour on the two first lifts and then you still have rows or deadlifts and any other assistance work. If you look at what some of the top coaches in this sport have their lifters doing, such as Boris Sheiko, Mike Tuchscherer or Bryce Lewis, and actually talk to some of their lifters, you will see that workouts taking 2+ hours are then norm. But I suppose they could learn a thing from you.

You seem to like to jump into conversations where you have nothing to add just to make rude remarks to people. Perhaps you should offer some advice or at least constructive criticism rather than acting like an asshole, but I suppose you can’t help yourself.

I was just looking at your training log, you have a decent deadlift but I don’t even see you squatting anything close to 400 and you don’t appear to do any benching or other upper body work. What qualifies you to give advice to aspiring powerlifters?

Not enough time to get much volume in. It could work for a while, but if you put an arbitrary limit on how long you will train then you are obviously limiting yourself. How much volume you need or can recover from is going to vary from person to person, and this is definitely on the low end of the spectrum. Empirical evidence has shown that a standard 5x5 program is close to optimal for beginners and it will take over an hour to complete each workout, assuming you are squatting and either benching or pressing every day followed by rows or deadlifts and possibly other assistance work.

It’s a fair question, and I do not compete in the sport of powerlifting, nor do I intend to in the near future. I have said, in pretty much any conversation I’ve been part of on this website, that I am merely a “guy that lifts some weights for enjoyment and self-satisfaction.”

With that said, along the way I have advanced to a sufficient level that I feel qualified to loosely comment on the pursuit of strength, or at least a few aspects of it. Enough to know that some things people speak of in absolutes are not as absolute as they are presented.

Yes, that is literally from the time I walk into the gym to the time that I leave (or, more recently, the time that I walk into my garage to the time that I walk back inside), including the time it takes to put on my shoes if I’m squatting.

This is (kind of) arguing against a strawman. I did not say that it was optimal or that the world’s elite coaches would program short workouts. I am pushing back against the belief that one cannot “get far” with workouts of only 45-60 minutes - especially beginners.

EDIT: not that it’s any skin off my back, but the reason I think this is especially important is that frankly, tools like you are what push people away from the sport. Telling a novice lifter that’s been training for 2 months, with a 205 pound squat and 245 pound deadlift, that workouts 45-60 minutes are not going to cut it is not especially helpful. This guy can easily add 100-200 pounds to each of those lifts over the next 12-18 months without spending more than 60 minutes in the gym. Once he gets a little further along, he can start worrying about what can take him to the Elite level. But this shit just pushes people away.

Would you like to have a forum-wide vote on which of us is more likely to act like an asshole?

Yes, some aspects of it. Which apparently doesn’t include squatting or benching.

I never said he wouldn’t make any progress at all, my point is that eventually he will have to spend more time in the gym. Unless he just wants to deadlift and do nothing else. And if you yourself admit that your style of training is suboptimal then why would you recommend it to others? Andy Bolton says he pulled 600 the first time he ever deadlifted, if we are to follow the example of one single person then maybe you don’t even need to train at all to pull 600.

I don’t know what else you do on this forum, but every time you post in the PL section you are just being rude and starting arguments. There is a way to disagree without being insulting, and it seems that you haven’t figured that out yet. I’m just trying to help people out and learn a thing or two at the same time, the only time I behave like an asshole is in response to other people.

So you say that someone can easily go from complete beginner to a 405 squat in under two years while spending less than half an hour once a week actually squatting?

Right now he can obviously make progress with what he is doing, but training each lift more frequently (which will take more time) will allow him to progress faster and improve his technique. If he doesn’t want to get too good at anything and likes to progress slowly then that’s his business, I’m not recommending anything more than a typical beginner program.

Go look at Pwn’s, Alpha’s and even Brady’s log. All of them do fairly quick workouts and get amazing results. I was not saying it is optimal to train fast. You are right, most elite level people do not train in 45-60 minutes. Most people are not elite though. As far as warm ups go, most of them are overrated and people take much too much time between them. For deads I go 1 plate, squat 1 plate, 2 plates, then squat 2 plates, 3 plates, squat 3 plates. Then I’ll front squat 3 plates for a single rep for 5-8 singles with about 30 seconds between. Then I’ll pull 4 plates, then start my work sets. Two weeks ago I did 455 for 6 sets of 3 with an wheel in between each set. All of that took about 15-20 minutes. Then an AMRAP of RDLs, which took me to ~25 minutes. The a continuous sets of single leg ham curls, barbell spilt squats, reverse hyper and cable rows for 5-8 sets. I’m at ~40 minutes here, then I finish with double overhand holds for time. All in all I’m finished with a minimal warm up of bw squats, pull aparts, dislocates, etc and a session in around 50 minutes. Ahain, not saying it’s optimal, but it does work.

I don’t think the point was on frequency though. It was mostly towards the time management. No one is trying to attack anyone, just conversate