Opinions on HST

Just wondering what’s peoples opinions on HST for packing on some size?

Looks good on paper. But I don’t know…

Try it out and make a thread following your progress, I don’t think there’s been a one like that, that has actually followed through

It should work. Its a great way to train, follows the concept of progressive overload, training all body parts and using a variety of rep ranges.

IS it the be all and end all of bbing the way he hyped it, nope!

It should work ok if you have your head on straight. But if you haven’t managed to make any progress on your own thus far, then you won’t make any on HST.

And hell I can’t stand the HST guy…

I used it 4 times in my first 2 years of training. I like it for a change of pace. I will probably do it again in the near future. I am just having too much fun doing different splits for the last year. There are just so many ways to progress with splits.

With HST its nice to have the workouts almost completely planned for 6-8 weeks in advance. You go in, hit your numbers and get out.

I used it recently with good success. I have to say that I actually made increases on the tape measure as well as some modest new PRs.

Probably not the best routine for raw power development but it did produce hypertrophy. A new lifter or intermediate would probably benefit the most although I see no reason why anybody couldnt benefit some from it.

I decided to do it out of curiousity. The layout was similar to 5x5 as far as TBT three days per week and it started light which was what I wanted to get back started after my injury.

You can see my progress in the logs on their forum. I was going to run a second cycle but my workout partner preferred a split. I am making great progress on a split but I would consider using HST again in the future. Maybe a cycle after a heavy 5x5 to allow for some recovery while still progressing.

Well not necessarily. Most weight training nitwits have no concept of progressive overload…or fighting for that additional rep or getting all the reps with the heavier weight or whatever. They repeat every session with exactly the same weight as before and end up making no progress.

IMO HST will work well for these guys because IIRC the trainee is forced to increase the weight from session to session (while eventually lowering reps but still).
Of course for someone who doesn;t have a clue about HOW to exploit the PWO window, protein intake, caloric surplus etc…I agree. He won;t make much progress no matter what he does.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
It should work ok if you have your head on straight. But if you haven’t managed to make any progress on your own thus far, then you won’t make any on HST.

And hell I can’t stand the HST guy…
[/quote]