T Nation

Opinions on CrossFit for Martial Arts

What do you guys think? GSP's S&C coach John Chambers said he doesnt like it because the goal is too broad, and not tailor made for the athlete.

I think Cross Fit workouts would be good to do but not too close to a competition, with more specific training going on then, ideas?

It might be good purely for a conditioning workout every once and a while but I agree with Chambers. Individualized training is necessary for any top level athlete with their own specific demands and problems.

BJ Penn used to do crossfit a while ago but as far as I know he's droppped it.

I believe it probably is too general and the goals are too broad. For someone who already has a general base of "fitness", more specific work could be more beneficial.

You are better off critiquing the weak area's in your own "fitness" and work on these.

Rob-jitsu is also right, that some of the crossfit workouts could be great as conditioning workouts.

But the overall aim and planning/structure of crossfit seems too random to me.

Although for a beginning level martial artist, crossfit might actually be brilliant to bring up their general level of fitness, instill a good work ethic, improve their ability to work for a period of time at high intensities.

I do Crossfit once or twice a week because my school offers it & lets me take the classes for free. Its a good, brief conditioning workout & I like that we do different stuff every session, buts its just a little something extra I do to keep things interesting. When I come close to an event, I drop it and add lots more bag work & sparring.

Lets not take Chaimberg out of context- if you are going to quote you should do it correctly.
he said its not linear with no periodization.

That's different from it being too general-.
he is dealing with athletes going into a fight prep- not weekend warriors.

So he wants to have them peak at a certain date, and has plans and phases that are geared for the different phases- strength, power, power endurance and endurance Crossfit does train all of those, but not in a fashion
that lends itself to any kind of linear programming.

Cross fit is good conditioning for GPP and truth be told pretty hard.
If you are a beginner- and I would say that you are and thats fine.
or looking for some conditioning its a good start.

kmc

I think it is better than what most people do, wandering around the weight room aimlessly. For all the critics, most Crossfit gyms do one thing that 99.99% of gym goers don't do, and that is work hard. If it's what you have available and you don't yet feel comfortable designing your own routine or have a coach to do it for you, then give it a shot. Personally there are quite a few aspects that I don't care for. Including having a Grand Genius who doesn't look like he can make it through a single one of the workouts he designs.

kmcnyc & Donut62 basically nailed it on all points. can't say it any better.

If you want you could try emailing John, he's a member of the nation. And responds when he's not too busy wtih fighters.

Not to pile on Crossfit too much or turn this even more into an anti-crossfit post, but for me one of the biggest reasons I don't like it is the people who believe that Crossfit is the end all and be all of everything in fitness.

I think that most top trainers would agree that there is not one system that does everything for everybody. The lack of openness to understanding how their system fits into the big scheme of things is a huge turn off for me.

Also , there's a crossfit across the street from my work and they've had 3 ambulances come to their gym in the last 3 months since they opened...maybe the "results" speak for themselves.

seems like a pretty retarded reason to dislike crossfit. that's like saying "i hate mma because of all the tough guys wearing affliction and tapout shirts thinking they are fighters".

The fact of the matter is alot of Crossfit trainers don't do the WOD every day. That way, they can tailor workouts for certain trainees goals. I bet most people who hate on Crossfit don't actually talk to any gym owners/trainers to figure this out.

The WOD's are good for GPP as stated many times before, but it is possible to tailor the idea, call it what you will (Crossfit, RossTraining, Caveman Training) to a wide range of training goals. Increasing "work capacity across a broad range of time and modal domains" is a must for any athlete. Now, how broad that range is will vary for a football player, a triathlete, a wrestler, a mixed martial artist or whatever.

Finally, anyone who states their 'style', ranging from sport to martial art to training ideology, is the end all be all, comprehensive way of doing things is wrong.

I'm sure that most guys who wear tap out and affliction shirts are open to enjoying other sports and understand that different systems have different qualities that make them better at some things more than others.

My point was, a lot of crossfit users/believers don't seem all that open to trying different programs or even accepting that there are benefits to non-crossfit programs and anytime you try to disagree with them, they usually try to point out how retarded you are.

Chambers is right on that fact that its too broad. You would end up just mediocre at the things you need to be the best at. But if you go to a crossfit facility who has a good crossfit trainer he should be able to tailor the program to meet your needs.

The coach at the crossfit place I go to knows Im getting ready to add more size and strentgh so what he is goin to have me do on the wod is cut the reps in half and up the weight.

I also agree with hugh. Alot of the crossfit people are cocky and think this is the end all of fitness and theres nothing better. Well 3 months ago when I started I was told Id give up my normal gym stuff well guess what Im still at my gym doin what Id normally do.

As for the injurys hey you can get injuryed doin anything thats always a risk of lifting. But if they had a good crossfit trainer chances are they wouldnt have so many injurys there. Im lucky to have one of the top crossfit trainers he is huge on proper form and he will stop you to make sure your doin it right.

let me tell you this, i give it a 10/10 on conditioning and explosiveness.

hell you can do it for a month to two months, and notice a difference.
i noticed it after doing it for 3 weeks, and my conditioning sky rocketed

that's all true. but i fail to see how the closed minded nature of crossfit's following, impacts upon the training protocol that crossfit itself promotes.

OP for mma purposes i wouldn't follow the main site workouts. i would look up the "hero" workouts or the "crossfit girls" workouts and do these maybe once or twice a week, either that or any decent metcons that come up on the main site.

the most important part and bulk of your training and cardio should come from drills and sparring in class.