Opinions of Chad Waterbury Programs?

[quote]JonBlood wrote:
Professor X wrote:
JonBlood wrote:
Thanks a lot wfifer. I was going to order Metabolic Drive but it’s only 100 cals per serving. I am always eating and cannot imagine eating any more than I already do(but certainly would!) Shots of olive oil might be a good idea
I would like to know what Professor X eats on a daily basis.

Also, sticking with Total Body training after increasing calories not a bad idea?

Why would someone pushing to actually look like a bodybuilder in some way follow programs designed by people who HATE really big muscles and degrade those who work hard for it regularly?

Come on man, you’re asking me questions like I know the answers to them! I thought that because total body training promotes increased growth hormones (Or so they say) that I would earn big muscles from my hard work.
I should go back to three-four workouts per body part once a week? I have the Arnold Schwarzenegger Encyclopedia but I gave up on that once I found this website.[/quote]

Your food intake is FUCKED.

Your reliance on pre-made programs just shows you are missing the basics.

ANY program should be producing SOME results. If it isn’t, blame yourself.

However, why would someone train in a way that most of the people who were successful at building really big/strong muscles don’t train?

[quote]JonBlood wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Wait, that “18%” was taken by those wonderful scales you stand on?

From calipers done by a trainer at my gym[/quote]

Even with that, be careful of believing this is some exact science.

I used to train a guy who was read at 17%…and he had all abs visible. Based on that reading alone he started dieting and loss the muscle he had built over the previous two months.

I don’t think most beginners need to be anywhere near fat calipers unless they are OBESE.

What the fuck do you guys eat? I try to eat clean and can only fit so many calories into my stomach before it explodes.
Would anyone care to post some of their meals?

[quote]JonBlood wrote:
What the fuck do you guys eat? I try to eat clean and can only fit so many calories into my stomach before it explodes.
Would anyone care to post some of their meals?[/quote]

You are a newbie. How would my current food intake help you?

It wouldn’t.

I just got back from the store. I bought 20 t-bones about an inch thick. I eat at least two of those a day at a pound each on average along with everything else. My guess is you don’t have the resources to throw down like that nor do you need the same amount of food as me.

How hard is it to eat until you gain weight? That is ALL any of us did as beginners. Quit making this shit that complicated.

Big Macs x 4 (my record)

Pancakes with loads of syrup and lemon juice mmmmmmmm

Cans of Tuna with Mayo (full fat)

Protein SHakes

chicken…with Bumboo sauce on it…extra crispy sking

PIZZA!!!

Ice cream

Oatmeal

STEAK! with BBQ sauce

Ah man…i’m getting hungry

BTW…don’t go by bodyfat…its differes so much in different people…just go by look.

[quote]Clown Face wrote:
Big Macs x 4 (my record)

Protein SHakes

PIZZA!!!

Ice cream

Oatmeal

STEAK! with BBQ sauce

BTW…don’t go by bodyfat…its differes so much in different people…just go by look.[/quote]

I have ruled everything on that list out because I always thought it would promote a gain in fat not muscle. I haven’t had pizza in a year! i just eat a shit load of eggs chicken and veggies along with some nuts and oatmeal.

DUDE!!

how do you survive!

that must be sooooooooooooo boring!!

Tho I am 19, i don’t know your age.

OH…i’d like to add crisps to that list.

[quote]JonBlood wrote:
Clown Face wrote:
Big Macs x 4 (my record)

Protein SHakes

PIZZA!!!

Ice cream

Oatmeal

STEAK! with BBQ sauce

BTW…don’t go by bodyfat…its differes so much in different people…just go by look.

I have ruled everything on that list out because I always thought it would promote a gain in fat not muscle. I haven’t had pizza in a year! i just eat a shit load of eggs chicken and veggies along with some nuts and oatmeal.

[/quote]

Your mistake.

Go ahead, keep listening to the smallest fuckers on the board as far as how to get big.

I find it hilarious that one of the tiniest trainers here makes articles about how to get big as if he knows what that feels like.

We used to hit up CiCi’s pizza at least once every other week or even once a week during their buffet and see if we could piss off the cooking staff.

I feel sorry for you guys who think 18" arms and bigger are built from tofu.

THey are built from tofu!!!

When you go out…just wear a long sleeved shirt and tuck those suckers up there.

Better than creatine!

OOOOOOOO PEANUTS…I GRAB A SALT AND VINEGAR BAG OF PEANUTS that like 1000 claroies right there!

[quote]Professor X wrote:
JonBlood wrote:
Clown Face wrote:
Big Macs x 4 (my record)

Protein SHakes

PIZZA!!!

Ice cream

Oatmeal

STEAK! with BBQ sauce

Your mistake.

Go ahead, keep listening to the smallest fuckers on the board as far as how to get big.

I find it hilarious that one of the tiniest trainers here makes articles about how to get big as if he knows what that feels like.

We used to hit up CiCi’s pizza at least once every other week or even once a week during their buffet and see if we could piss off the cooking staff.

I feel sorry for you guys who think 18" arms and bigger are built from tofu.[/quote]

I am going to take your advice and just eat anything that’s not nailed down. For the exception of junk good like ice cream and chips. God damn I hope I don’t get fat!

I just took some pictures so I can guage my progress over the next few weeks with the change in diet and the addition of the creatine I ordered last night.

I would say that while the points made regarding eating are valid, it STILL can be concluded that the program you have been following – as you have been doing it, at any rate – does not work for you and therefore you should do differently.

Regardless that you should have eaten more, as a beginner if the program worked well for you, on these calories you should have still have made reasonable progress for strength, added some muscle, and gotten ripped or at least pretty well cut.

That didn’t happen.

(If the program were suited to an individual who was more advanced, and followed this diet, then at the least they should have gotten ripped or at least pretty well cut even if gaining nothing in terms of muscle. But the OP is a beginner.)

The program – as you have done it anyway – has sucked for you. So do something different. Including following the general advice given by many above on eating.

On a program suited to you – and as mentioned at this point most decent programs aimed at beginners should do the job for you – you will be able to eat more than this and not get fat, and gain muscle and strength at a good pace.

No prog will work if you’re not eating enough.

Check out ‘Bulking Tips for Newbies’:
www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/bulking_tips_for_newbies

Plenty of ideas in there. If you want the muscles bad enough, you will find a way to get more food into your day.

I feel sorry for you guys who think 18" arms and bigger are built from tofu.[/quote]

I do have 17.5" arms ;D

[quote]JonBlood wrote:

I am going to take your advice and just eat anything that’s not nailed down. [/quote]

I didn’t write that nor even imply it. In fact, I gave you a large part of my current diet and told you we did that once every two weeks or sometime once a week. From that you arrived at “eat everything not nailed down”? Moderation in everything should be the goal.

Lol, we need to get Shugart in here. You evil bodybuilders have converted yet another newbie to your french fry eating ways.

[quote]JonBlood wrote:
Professor X wrote:
JonBlood wrote:
Clown Face wrote:
Big Macs x 4 (my record)

Protein SHakes

PIZZA!!!

Ice cream

Oatmeal

STEAK! with BBQ sauce

Your mistake.

I feel sorry for you guys who think 18" arms and bigger are built from tofu.

I am going to take your advice and just eat anything that’s not nailed down. For the exception of junk good like ice cream and chips. God damn I hope I don’t get fat!
I just took some pictures so I can guage my progress over the next few weeks with the change in diet and the addition of the creatine I ordered last night.[/quote]

NO!!!
don’t eat everything thats in sight…THEN YOU WILL GET FAT!

Just eat more than you are…and try and eat more calorie dense food!

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
I would say that while the points made regarding eating are valid, it STILL can be concluded that the program you have been following – as you have been doing it, at any rate – does not work for you and therefore you should do differently.

Regardless that you should have eaten more, as a beginner if the program worked well for you, on these calories you should have still have made reasonable progress for strength, added some muscle, and gotten ripped or at least pretty well cut.

That didn’t happen.

(If the program were suited to an individual who was more advanced, and followed this diet, then at the least they should have gotten ripped or at least pretty well cut even if gaining nothing in terms of muscle. But the OP is a beginner.)

The program – as you have done it anyway – has sucked for you. So do something different. Including following the general advice given by many above on eating.

On a program suited to you – and as mentioned at this point most decent programs aimed at beginners should do the job for you – you will be able to eat more than this and not get fat, and gain muscle and strength at a good pace.[/quote]

The goal is to be working hard enough that the food you eat goes where you want it to, not to starve yourself thinking you need to be afraid of all fat gain.

Im not that much of a newbie I’ve been training for over three years and Ive tried a number of different programs. I do have a muscular physique but I’m trying to get to the next level.

JonBlood wrote:

I am going to take your advice and just eat anything that’s not nailed down.

I didn’t write that nor even imply it. In fact, I gave you a large part of my current diet and told you we did that once every two weeks or sometime once a week. From that you arrived at “eat everything not nailed down”? Moderation in everything should be the goal.
[/quote]

Side note, but by the way (going back a few weeks) it was this kind of thing I meant when saying that many err by reading things into your posts that you in fact did not say, and justify some absurd things in this manner such as even increasing ridiculous overfatness that is already far beyond 20%, or ridiculous eating:

That they would do well by doing as you actually are saying, but not by what they somehow turn it into.

This is the best beginner article I’ve ever read, with plenty of good stuff for people at all stages. It covers training, food, recovery, etc. You should be able to put together a solid program using this.

www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9940

Original article here:

Also, a “full body” approach is not necessarily bad (see Rippetoe’s Starting Strength), but the good ones (and most of Waterbury’s hypertrophy oriented programs) have progression built in.

So, if you weren’t progressing on your lifts, you weren’t doing the program, which is more than likely an effort and food issue (some combination thereof).