Opinions of Chad Waterbury Programs?

I have been following Chad’s programs now for almost eight months. I really do trust the guy but his programs haven’t done much for me regarding hypertrophy. Also, because his programs all differ greatly in set/rep parameters, I believe that you are not given enough time to actually get stronger and/or bigger.

Also, many of the bodybuilders still do a lot of splits and isolation work, whereas Chad and a number of other trainers firmly believe in total body training only.
I just wanted to know what you guys all thought of his programs, if you have trained under his "guidance" and if you had any recommendations. 

Thanks
Oh yeah…What do you think of replacing all of your protein shakes with egg whites?

Welcome to T-Nation.

Search is in the upper right corner.

Why would you follow a program for eight months when you’re not seeing results? I don’t think that Chad “markets” his programs towards bodybuilders and if he does I wouldn’t call it optimal. However, you should be gaining size either way. You should blame your diet or your ability to gauge progress, not Chad Waterbury.

[quote]elusive wrote:
Why would you follow a program for eight months when you’re not seeing results? I don’t think that Chad “markets” his programs towards bodybuilders and if he does I wouldn’t call it optimal. However, you should be gaining size either way. You should blame your diet or your ability to gauge progress, not Chad Waterbury.[/quote]

LOL, I think he’s just too loyal. For the OP, do some fucking split training.

I do Waterbury-type stuff with my clients who are looking for “general conditioning”. They come to me looking to lose fat and get a bit stronger with limited time to do so. TBT is also appropriate for most beginners, IMO.

I would suggest that your lack of hypertrophy has more to do with your diet than your training. This is not to say you’re not ready for a split, but don’t expect anything different if you’re not eating enough to grow. What are your lifts like?

[quote]elusive wrote:
Why would you follow a program for eight months when you’re not seeing results? I don’t think that Chad “markets” his programs towards bodybuilders and if he does I wouldn’t call it optimal. However, you should be gaining size either way. You should blame your diet or your ability to gauge progress, not Chad Waterbury.[/quote]

I wasn’t blaming anyone - I was asking for advice. Also, I was considering purchasing Christian Thibaudeau’s Get Jacked…FAST in electronic format. That seems like it might suit me better as someone striving for more of a bodybuilding physique and not so much athletic performance. Any recommendations?

1 Like

[quote]wfifer wrote:
I do Waterbury-type stuff with my clients who are looking for “general conditioning”. They come to me looking to lose fat and get a bit stronger with limited time to do so. TBT is also appropriate for most beginners, IMO.

I would suggest that your lack of hypertrophy has more to do with your diet than your training. This is not to say you’re not ready for a split, but don’t expect anything different if you’re not eating enough to grow. What are your lifts like? [/quote]

I have been lifting for three and a half years now. I started with chest/bis monday, back/tris wednesday and shoulders on friday. That’s is how I initially gained size until my progress started to slow and eventually stop. So, I looked elsewhere for advice. I came upon T-Nation and started to read all of the benefits of total body training.

Like I said, I have been doing tbt for about eight months now and I really do feel like I get more out of the workout because of the increased intensity, but I have not grown much. I am currently on his TBT workout which really does kick my ass. I eat over 2400 calories each day and train hard. So frustrating!

[quote]JonBlood wrote:
wfifer wrote:

I would suggest that your lack of hypertrophy has more to do with your diet than your training. This is not to say you’re not ready for a split, but don’t expect anything different if you’re not eating enough to grow. What are your lifts like?

I have been lifting for three and a half years now. I started with chest/bis monday, back/tris wednesday and shoulders on friday. That’s is how I initially gained size until my progress started to slow and eventually stop. So, I looked elsewhere for advice. I came upon T-Nation and started to read all of the benefits of total body training. Like I said, I have been doing tbt for about eight months now and I really do feel like I get more out of the workout because of the increased intensity, but I have not grown much. I am currently on his TBT workout which really does kick my ass. I eat over 2400 calories each day and train hard. So frustrating!
[/quote]

Gee…a WHOLE 2400 cals? A Day?

Wow.

DUDE!!!

I’ve had meals over 2400 cals…not often…but i’ve had them!

My lunch regularly is around 1800.

You just ain eatin enough!

Wow, Ive been having 600 calorie breakfasts and I thought that was a lot! Im just afraid of gaining more fat than I already have (18%BF). Although, i have incorporated three days of cardio each week into my workouts.
Aside from the nutrition. What are your favorite workout plans?

Hahaha. To elaborate on the Professor’s comment…it’s your diet. 2000 calories is considered maintenance for your average male. If you’re lifting hard (read: not an average male), this could be 3000. And if you want to gain weight, you’ll need to up that by 20%, maybe more if you’re still not gaining weight.

But you’re 18% bodyfat and that hasn’t changed in the last 8 months? What does your diet look like?

[quote]JonBlood wrote:
Wow, Ive been having 600 calorie breakfasts and I thought that was a lot! Im just afraid of gaining more fat than I already have (18%BF). Although, i have incorporated three days of cardio each week into my workouts.
Aside from the nutrition. What are your favorite workout plans? [/quote]

Wait, that “18%” was taken by those wonderful scales you stand on?

Thanks a lot wfifer. I was going to order Metabolic Drive but it’s only 100 cals per serving. I am always eating and cannot imagine eating any more than I already do(but certainly would!) Shots of olive oil might be a good idea
I would like to know what Professor X eats on a daily basis.

Also, sticking with Total Body training after increasing calories not a bad idea?

[quote]JonBlood wrote:
Thanks a lot wfifer. I was going to order Metabolic Drive but it’s only 100 cals per serving. I am always eating and cannot imagine eating any more than I already do(but certainly would!) Shots of olive oil might be a good idea

Also, sticking with Total Body training after increasing calories not a bad idea? [/quote]

Why would someone pushing to actually look like a bodybuilder in some way follow programs designed by people who HATE really big muscles and degrade those who work hard for it regularly?

Again, do some fucking split training.

seriously man. my breakfast has over 1/3 of your daily calories. i think you just need to eat more.

also, and tell me if i’m reading this wrong, did you not work legs until you started training tbt?

[quote]JonBlood wrote:

Also, sticking with Total Body training after increasing calories not a bad idea? [/quote]

Beginners forum maybe?

That’s all I could come up with after I kept deleting lines from the post I wanted to make because I sounded like a dick.

Regardless of how much TBT takes out of you, it doesn’t seem like each muscle is being stressed enough. Go back to splits.

BTW, when was the last time this debate came up? Are we due for another one?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
JonBlood wrote:

Also, sticking with Total Body training after increasing calories not a bad idea?

Why would someone pushing to actually look like a bodybuilder in some way follow programs designed by people who HATE really big muscles and degrade those who work hard for it regularly?

[/quote]

Come on man, you’re asking me questions like I know the answers to them! I thought that because total body training promotes increased growth hormones (Or so they say) that I would earn big muscles from my hard work.
I should go back to three-four workouts per body part once a week? I have the Arnold Schwarzenegger Encyclopedia but I gave up on that once I found this website.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Wait, that “18%” was taken by those wonderful scales you stand on?[/quote]

From calipers done by a trainer at my gym