Opinions of Ab Machines?

Do any of you guys use them at your gym? If so what’s your opinion on them?

[quote]BabyJR wrote:
Do any of you guys use them at your gym? If so what’s your opinion on them?[/quote]

Specifics?

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
BabyJR wrote:

Specifics?[/quote]

LOL

If you want to use the ab machines, use the freaking ab machine. Your question implies you think some exercises are either “great for everybody” or “bad for everybody”. Until you find what is right for you, no one could answer that question…in fact, no one should but YOU.

If someone was competing and worried about their waist measurement, you would probably never see them work obliques. If a bodybuilder already had huge abdominal muscles, they may cut back on the resistance training of them.

Why are YOU using the machine and should that even be your primary focus right now?

It has nothing to do with my PRIMARY FOCUS. I asked what do others think about the use of an ab machine. Leg Raises, Crunches and sit ups are universal but does anyone use the ab machines and has gotten good results.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
BabyJR wrote:

Specifics?

LOL

If you want to use the ab machines, use the freaking ab machine. Your question implies you think some exercises are either “great for everybody” or “bad for everybody”. Until you find what is right for you, no one could answer that question…in fact, no one should but YOU.

If someone was competing and worried about their waist measurement, you would probably never see them work obliques. If a bodybuilder already had huge abdominal muscles, they may cut back on the resistance training of them.

Why are YOU using the machine and should that even be your primary focus right now?[/quote]

Nice to see you back Prof! (still talking sense, I see).

Now to my point, lots of ab machines are really hip-flexor machines and only work abs (rectus) stically. However they are fine for this.

[quote]BabyJR wrote:
It has nothing to do with my PRIMARY FOCUS. I asked what do others think about the use of an ab machine. Leg Raises, Crunches and sit ups are universal but does anyone use the ab machines and has gotten good results.[/quote]

It has everything to do with your primary focus because who the hell is going to log in and write, “Ab machines are HORRIBLE!”? They have a place just like nearly every other piece of equipment in the gym. The only question is if it is right FOR YOU. You sound like a newbie. What gets to me more than anything is newbies who think they already know more than those who have been in this for longer.

Wait, let me guess. You think your question still hasn’t been answered.

I’ve never seen an ab machine that didn’t “work”. Then again I have a simple incline ab bench in my basement that also works. In fact, like Professor X said, I don’t know if I can think of any piece of equipment off the top of my head that was utterly useless. However, that little voice is telling me that using or not using ab machines is not the key to your training life. The point is, learn how your body works and try stuff out. Pretty soon you’ll not only know what works for you, but won’t care what anybody else thinks of it.

I must say, while I’m more of a fan of doing “standard” ab workouts (medicine ball decline sit-ups and “Death” for the win), I do enjoy my gym’s oblique machine. Definitely helped my obliques and abs.

However, like Professor X said, what works for me might not work for you.

Yep exactly try a lot of different things out, thats the best way to find what you like. I’m constantly trying out new exercises I read up about and mixing it around with ab workouts especially since there are so many different exercises for them.-including machines-