Opinions Needed About Weight Class

Im having a debate on which weight class I want to compete in at my RPS meet in 4 weeks. Right now I’m in the junior age group and current body weight is 280.I was going to cut the 5 pounds off and compete at 275, but once I looked at state records I debated trying to gain weight and compete 308 since at 275 id only break the bench state record but at 308 id set all the records. (seems cool to me)

My current “gym” maxes are:
Bench- 460 friend gave me commands so it was paused and done like I was in a meet
Squat- 645 a guy that judges said I would have gotten all white lights
Deadlift 645…also just did 675 off a 2 inch block since my lockout sucks and i can pretty much launch anything off the floor to the knee.

So Id just make elite at 308 with a 1750 total. (most likely will get a little stronger til the meet)

Lets hear opinions and suggestions

is this your first meet?
if it is i dont think it really matters
if you have done meets before i would go up

its my first meet but the ego side of my lifting thinks it would be cool to hold state records on the first meet

Well, I had the same feeling at the meet I was supposed to compete at. Couldn’t compete in the end due to a bunch of reasons, was pretty much in the same shoes. I wanted to break some of the sub junior records. Maybe I’m just trying to make myself feel better but it doesn’t actually matter. “Breaking a ?teenage record? is an accomplishment based around simply starting your training earlier than everyone else. It?s not worth getting worked up about.” That being said, it’s your first meet, I would say just go in and have fun, do it for the experience.

I feel like this is all about your own priorities, but to me, if you can hit the same numbers at 275 that you can at 308, it makes zero sense to compete at the higher class. Hitting bigger numbers at a lower weight class is better, period. What you’re saying here is that the 308 lifters who have competed in your state are weaker than the 275 lifters. Which means you want to set a record in a weaker class. I can’t appreciate that mentality.

That being said, my approach would still be to add as much strength as possible over the next few weeks (not enough time to do much), and not even worry about your bodyweight until a few days before the meet. A water cut from as much as 290 to 275 would be the easiest thing in the world to do. Helll, I’ve cut 15 lbs in the 181 class, so that cut should be cake. Worst case scenario would be missing the cut and setting the records at 308. Seems like a win either way.

Best of luck at your meet, btw.

Kinda lame, if you ask me, knowing you already won before you even compete. Essentially you’re just going in there to collect your record certificates. Doesn’t sound like much fun to me.

Yeah it’s cool to set records (although they’re junior state records, like that’s not THAT cool IMO), but I feel like it would be much more challenging, exciting, rewarding and just a lot more fun to compete against stronger guys and higher records.

[quote]Haldor wrote:
Kinda lame, if you ask me, knowing you already won before you even compete. Essentially you’re just going in there to collect your record certificates. Doesn’t sound like much fun to me.

[/quote]

Tell that to the guy standing next to you in your avatar.

You could make 275 with a 4 day water cut. That would be easier than eating your way to 308, and healthier.

Everyone who competes in RPS has a record. Your numbers are impressive regardless of that.

Were I in your situation, I’d find the weight class with the best competition and choose that one. It’s more fun to get pushed by hard competition than to just cherry pick records.

The information is up on the meet and no matter if i go to 275 or 308 Ill be the only junior in the weight classes so I take first no matter what sadly no competition :/. Ill probably just water cut to 275 no matter what ill have first and records set.

im the only junior in 275 and would be the only junior in 308 so im competing against myself and take first in my class no matter what…plus records state records are personal achievements and can eventually help get my name out there is possible future opportunities appear

Why not just compete in the open instead of as a junior?

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
Why not just compete in the open instead of as a junior?[/quote]

because clearly he wants a trophy

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Haldor wrote:

[/quote]

Tell that to the guy standing next to you in your avatar.[/quote]

He’ll probably agree with me. What’s the point of competition if there’s no challenge and no risk?

[quote]GodlyCadaver wrote:
im the only junior in 275 and would be the only junior in 308 so im competing against myself and take first in my class no matter what…plus records state records are personal achievements and can eventually help get my name out there is possible future opportunities appear[/quote]

If this is what you’re after, get the 275 records… Anyone who recognises you for that will be aware that the lifts also smash the records in the heavier classes.

[quote]tsantos wrote:

[quote]GodlyCadaver wrote:
im the only junior in 275 and would be the only junior in 308 so im competing against myself and take first in my class no matter what…plus records state records are personal achievements and can eventually help get my name out there is possible future opportunities appear[/quote]

If this is what you’re after, get the 275 records… Anyone who recognises you for that will be aware that the lifts also smash the records in the heavier classes.[/quote]
Yeah im just cutting to 275 …I have 2 years left as a junior so may as well dominate there before going to the open class. Hopefully by the time im in open ill have the strength to dominate there as well.

[quote]Haldor wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Haldor wrote:

[/quote]

Tell that to the guy standing next to you in your avatar.[/quote]

He’ll probably agree with me. What’s the point of competition if there’s no challenge and no risk?[/quote]

I was making a joke, since there were no humans on the planet who could touch his lifts in his prime. There was no competition available, lol.

[quote]cavemansam wrote:
is this your first meet?
if you have done meets before i would go up[/quote]

Agree with this. Just try and have fun your first meet. You don’t even know if you enjoy competing yet.

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:

[quote]cavemansam wrote:
is this your first meet?
if you have done meets before i would go up[/quote]

Agree with this. Just try and have fun your first meet. You don’t even know if you enjoy competing yet.[/quote]

I agree, especially if it’s the first meet.

OP: If it’s not your first meet then it still doesn’t really matter. Choose whatever weight class allows you to push yourself the hardest. IMO, breaking a low record doesn’t mean much if it isn’t going to last long, unless you’re content with just being able to hold it for a short period of time. Strive to make it unbreakable. I don’t think you can go wrong either way. It’s definitely fun to compete against others but it still comes down to being able to push yourself.