Opinions: My Lifestyle

Natural Nate- Honestly, I don’t want the journey, i want the results and the prize.

Aquat Man- From what I’ve seen and done, I’d rather compete or train then hang out with friends.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
I don’t date, don’t party, don’t club, don’t drink, don’t smoke, don’t have sex, never had a relationship, and got one good friend (who i only hang out with to lift weights)Don’t socialize with people unless I need to and mainly don’t like them em:male or female.

My hobbies and pastime: Weight lifting, eating at college cafe, and coming up with different training routines and ways to get stronger.

Non training fun- Halo, Madden, and 2 dollar movie theatres…ummm…that’s about it.

I’m 19 at the moment and i’m pretty much used to this routine. Just want opinions if any on myself.
[/quote]

I also am 19 and seem similar in some ways to you. Our similarities are not smoking/drinking, halo, and training. We differ in the fact that i still find time for friends and a girlfriend, which none of them have stunted my progress, and have actually helped as far as i can see. I think you should continue what your doing for the most part, but go out there and find a girl atleast, but one that shares your interests.

[quote]playmaker08 wrote:
WolBarret wrote:
I don’t date, don’t party, don’t club, don’t drink, don’t smoke, don’t have sex, never had a relationship, and got one good friend (who i only hang out with to lift weights)Don’t socialize with people unless I need to and mainly don’t like them em:male or female.

My hobbies and pastime: Weight lifting, eating at college cafe, and coming up with different training routines and ways to get stronger.

Non training fun- Halo, Madden, and 2 dollar movie theatres…ummm…that’s about it.

I’m 19 at the moment and i’m pretty much used to this routine. Just want opinions if any on myself.

I also am 19 and seem similar in some ways to you. Our similarities are not smoking/drinking, halo, and training. We differ in the fact that i still find time for friends and a girlfriend, which none of them have stunted my progress, and have actually helped as far as i can see. I think you should continue what your doing for the most part, but go out there and find a girl atleast, but one that shares your interests.

[/quote]

I’m pretty similar to both of you in a couple respects. I’m 19, too, but a girl…I have a serious boyfriend, we’ve been together for about a year and a half. I’m at college, and love school, but hate the lifestyle: I don’t drink, smoke, party, etc. Occasionally I’ll go out to a club, but that’s pretty rare.

I mostly train, sleep, study, and read. That’s what I like doing, so that’s why I do it. I have a close group of 4-5 friends who I spend time with, but don’t really enjoy being ‘social’ (the college lifestyle of boozing it up isn’t my fit).

There’s nothing wrong with it as long as you’re happy, and you’re not stagnant. If you’re still learning, thinking,a nd growing, then all the power to you.
I think the real danger comes when you stagnate, and don’t change, and don’t think, and become indelibly set in your ways.

Just my .02

If it’s not to personal, what extreme adversities or hard times have you experianced so far in life? Ie. someone you love died, killed themself, was murdered, is killing themself, you dad beats you mom, you’ve been discriminated against badly, ect. ect. Just wondering.

WB,

I?m a little concerned that other people seem to be only a nuisance to you…

The older I get, the more I learn from other people…

Plus, get a girlfriend… What good is weight-lifting if a pretty girl doesn?t grap your ass every now and then and pulls you into her?

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

[/quote]

Since your goals are to get stronger, then you seem to have yourself all figured out. If you’re happy with yourself, then that’s all that matters. However, human relationships are vital to learning more about life in general. Now if your life is just about training, eating, and sleeping, then you might consider becoming a Shaolin Monk. Or you might as well triple major and learn as much as you can while in college, too.

Also, do you have family (mom,dad,bro,sis,grandparents,etc) who you talk to?

Take care.

-ton

What ae you going to do when you are older and can’t train at your current level? Also what would you do if you had an accident/injury and could no longer train?

What are you taking in college?

If you are going to work anywhere after college, you’ll probably need social skills. You may find that by avoiding social interaction now, it makes it harder for you to relate to the masses later.

I only say this, because where I work ( in a factory, basically ) we have several university educated supervisors, who simply cannot communicate with us simple / uneducated types. One of our supervisors is nicknamed ‘beaker’ because he looks like the muppets character. I swear, the guy must practice his speeches in the mirror, before he even attempts to communicate with one of ‘us’.

Don’t be a beaker. <:-)

|/ 3Toes

Sounds like you have quite a personality. You could use me for my xbox anytime.

[quote]WideGuy wrote:
If it’s not to personal, what extreme adversities or hard times have you experianced so far in life? Ie. someone you love died, killed themself, was murdered, is killing themself, you dad beats you mom, you’ve been discriminated against badly, ect. ect. Just wondering. [/quote]

Good call. I’m thinking anti-social to full blown sociopath.

Sounds strange to me…but then I dig drinking, partying, and just being out and around people. I try to live like a weightlifting version of Jack Kerouac.

I love lifting and making myself stronger. I also have lots of qualities that one might call, “self-destructive”. But either way, its a hell of a life, and a hell of a world. While there is always something to be said for training, there is also something to be said about living life to the fullest extent possible. There is life beyond the gym. It’s a pity not to see it man. The world is a fucking fascinating place.

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn burn burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everyone goes, “awww”.

"Come on out, stop fucking the blonde! Come on out and have a drink!

• Jack Kerouac

You gotta burn…burn with life. Not with Madden.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
Honestly, I don’t want the journey, i want the results and the prize.
[/quote]

To start off with, it is your life…

but whether you like it or not, life is more journey than goal. Say you want to bench 400#. Say you make it, WOW, great, take a deep breath, puff up your chest and say you’re a bad ass, now set your next goal. Gee, that took all of about 10 minutes.

Now what about the year and a half it took you to get from your last goal of 300# to now. I guess that was just a total waste of time and oxygen. Who needs it!

Like it or life is one journey after another and reaching the goal, or not, it just a very small part of it. Set 'em and go after them, but don’t think that goals are all there is to life. :slight_smile:

I might not have thought that when I was twenty but at 40+ I now KNOW that is the way it is.

Next subject. You combine your singleminded obsessed life with your choice of avatar, A great fighter in his day, but a psycotic convicted rapist the rest of his life… Maybe he was only focused on the goal at 20 as well.

Just something to think about.

Everyone goes through “reclusive” times in their lives, that’s ok (or maybe it was just me and you).

Fortunately for me, my reclusive experience was when I was fairly young. I never really hung out with anybody while I was in middle school and the end of elementary school. While yes, I had friends at school, I usually didn’t care if I did anything with anyone after school, or on the weekends.

I did play baseball and had a lot of friends on the team, but I really didn’t hang out with any of them outside of that arena. Same goes for my karate, golf, bowling and basketball experiences. Granted I was a young kid, I still felt like I was too mature for most people around my age.

My only real friend was my neighbor who was a couple years older than me. In the summers we would play wiffleball and basketball day in and day out. I was probably the only 12 year old kid doing plyos, just so I could beat my neighbor on vertical jump contests. Did I hang out with anyone else?

no. not really.

So in a period of 4 or 5 years, I had one friend who I hung out with, and it mostly involved baseball and basketball streetgames. Sure, we’d have other neighbors get involved, but we were the cornerstone of playing the street games. kids from allover the neighborhood were flocking to where we were to play our games. Don’t ask me how they found out about it, it just happened. We were a big deal, and I started to realize what it was like to have friends around, people I could connect with all the time.

This soon changed and I went back into being slightly reclusive for my first year of highschool.

Enter street rollerhockey.

I found a group of guys who just enjoyed competing. It was like old times. I never had really played before, but hey, I had the basic equipment and it was competition. I strive for it. I live for winning. This constant vampirous thirst to succede and win, wether I realized it or not kept pointing me towards people with similar mindsets.

Little did I know, but I was surrounding myself with Achivers.

We all grew up, graduated highschool, most of us went to college, some played college sports, others went on to serve this great country in the armed forces.

What I’ve come to notice though, is that those who’ve succeded the most so far in our short lives have all kept one thing in common, we’ve all surrounded ourselves with like minded people.

While you may not be very outgoing, be open to others and the friendships you might build. Some people actually are worth it. The sooner you realize this, the happier you’ll be, and the faster you’ll achieve your own goals.

Good Luck and keep your head up high.

I think you need to open your eyes to the world around you… travel a bit, experience new things, talk to people, etc.

There’s a quote that I like, “You do not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but rather by becoming aware of the Darkness”

Behavior like your’s tends to be as a result of not wanting to be hurt… which you’ve come to learn is a certain future.

Rather than closing yourself off, and imagining that something one day will come that will make all your current actions justified (your figure of light)do not only become aware of the dark…embrace it.

Realize that people are going to let you down but still strive to bring out the best in them and learn what you can from their failure to you (or better yet your failure to them).

…Alternatively,

You could just not give a fuck.

Which is perfectly fine and a damn near enviable state. If you are happy the way you are, if you don’t ever wonder what it would be like on the “other side”, if you don’t use your regular activities (video games, working out, etc) as machinations to distract you from the fact that you’re not doing “normal” activities.

Then more power to you, live your life and enjoy it and never let anyone tell you that you did it wrong.

as TC said in one of his past articles, “I wouldn’t not presume to know the meaning of life, but I do know the way that I was meant to live it”… to string it together with another quote, “…life life hard, and fast so that when the potholes of life come you just glide right over them” (paraphrasing a bit).

(fyi::Take what I say with a grain of salt, I’m young and dont know a fucking thing.)

That’s NOT AT ALL where I was going with my question. I was alot like this man when I was younger, except I was probably more hostile and violent. But I not talking about myself here.

I asked because if/when he does come into these “hard times” and bro you will. You might realize people are less worthless then you think. Maybe you won’t feel that way though? Guess you’ll have to wait and see.