T Nation

Opinions: Alpha's Strength and Physique

** I am NOT starting another TBT vs splits thread. Just answer this one simple question and let that be the end of it.**

For all those who prefer splits over tbt, what do you think about Alpha’s strength and physique? He is(was) arguably the strongest on the site. Maybe didn’t look like a IFBB pro, but was pretty big.

He had very specific training goals that weren’t directly related to either maximal strength or maximal size.

He was also a complete freak of nature.

He would bench 500 and deadlift 600 in the same work out in a high volume, no rest circuit. He also had his inserts/extracts before evolving to this Warrior Athlete workouts.

Like Jab said, he was a freak of nature, so it’s hard to compare anyone else here to him.

What he did clearly worked for him, and I also believe that TBT splits do work, but too often people try and use them for something that they’re not intended for, namely bodybuilding. If you’re looking to build strength and condition yourself, like Alpha, I believe you could successfully utilize a TBT split; however, when we’re talking physique/bodybuilding goals, it isn’t optimal IMO.

That being said, saying you could achieve Alpha’s strength/conditioning from TBT is like saying you could be as elusive as Barry Sanders by doing speed and agility drills…there’s something there that few of us can or will ever have :P.

-There is more than one way to reach a goal
-Some people you see in the gym will do everything ‘wrong’ and still make better progress than you
-Some people will make progress due to variables that you do not see, or are not aware of
-When I was at my ‘strongest’ I was not at my biggest (let that one sink in a bit -lol)
-Alpha is a freak :slight_smile:

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
-There is more than one way to reach a goal
-Some people you see in the gym will do everything ‘wrong’ and still make better progress than you
-Some people will make progress due to variables that you do not see, or are not aware of
-When I was at my ‘strongest’ I was not at my biggest (let that one sink in a bit -lol)
-Alpha is a freak :slight_smile:

S[/quote]

Big yes for the second to last point :).

Anyone who can do a flat-backed 500lb bench press, 605 squat, and 645 deadlift, is going to have a lot of muscle mass. Alpha is big because he is very strong, and he also happens to be very lean (and all natural, last I heard).

However, he does not have a great physique for bodybuilding competition, which is unsurprising because he doesn’t train for that. Yes he is “pretty big”, but he doesn’t just “not look like an IFBB pro”… lol. Alpha could not just step on any amateur bodybuilding stage and take the show, come on now. There are bigger guys at my own gym, and guess what: they do not train with a full body routine.

How was this going to be the end of it even if Alpha did look like an IFBB pro?

He’s made amazing progress. I would personally choose to pay a tad more attention to what produces the most extremely built people…and generally not where you have to find only one guy you think is impressive to prove something works ignoring the rest.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
How was this going to be the end of it even if Alpha did look like an IFBB pro?

He’s made amazing progress. I would personally choose to pay a tad more attention to what produces the most extremely built people…and generally not where you have to find only one guy you think is impressive to prove something works ignoring the rest.[/quote]

True. I know he is an exception, not the rule. I was just wondering what some of you guys thought of what he achieved with his unorthodox methods.

I am mostly interested his training because I am in the same line of work.

[quote]ANIMAL M0THER wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:
How was this going to be the end of it even if Alpha did look like an IFBB pro?

He’s made amazing progress. I would personally choose to pay a tad more attention to what produces the most extremely built people…and generally not where you have to find only one guy you think is impressive to prove something works ignoring the rest.[/quote]

True. I know he is an exception, not the rule. I was just wondering what some of you guys thought of what he achieved with his unorthodox methods.[/quote]

His methods are done because of the job he has and the level of performance he is after. The way he looks as a result is genetic. I doubt anyone would say he doesn’t look built. That also doesn’t mean much as far as how he trains.

I believe Alpha is a Terminator. But I don’t think it all boils down to him being a strength freak, Alpha always “wanted it” a lot, at the time he was posting here he had a shitload of injuries, then he’d go train and would tweak his back while deadlifting, and regardless he would still go in the next day and max out on front squats and military press, sleep 3 hours then go ruck for 2 hours with 100lbs on his back and deadlift the other day, never backing out regardless.

Strength wise, I made my best gains emulating his kind of training. I also did put on amazing size, (150\160 to 220 in about a year ). I absolutely love his style of training and I still do some Alpha inspired stuff once in a while.

what ever happened to the kid anyways?

[quote]hipsr4runnin wrote:
what ever happened to the kid anyways?[/quote]

He started writing for his own site exclusively, but he hasn’t been on there in months.

Alpha’s lifted heavy shit with a physique to show for it.

What is Alpha’s site?

[quote]SRT08 wrote:
What is Alpha’s site?[/quote]
www.5100block.com/Warrior-Athlete

No posts for quite a while.

[quote]samoth2 wrote:

[quote]SRT08 wrote:
What is Alpha’s site?[/quote]
www.5100block.com/Warrior-Athlete

No posts for quite a while.[/quote]

Yeah checked it out again the other day, hope Alpha’s okay (given his line of work, ongoing health issues etc) and just too busy to post.

I still go back and check out his log every so often for a kick up the ass - an absolute beast.

As others have said, he was a freak. Some due to genetics no doubt, and some due to his insane work ethic. Not even gonna throw any abstract percentages out there as to how much each had an effect. His levels of strength and conditioning are something VERY few people on this planet will or even can accomplish simultaneously (For that matter, even individually). Muchos respect to that man; whatever it is he’s up to these days, he has my best wishes.

sad, but the truth is not all men are created equal. there are some truly gifted people on this website, alpha, synergy, come to mind as people who are special.

there are others, but I am tired, just got off work, and kentucky bourbon is on board.

truth is, and i have said it hundreds of times… that in general, the people on this site who look like “bodybuilders” tend to train with body part splits, fairly high volume and moderate intensity.

best bet if that is the “look” you are trying to achieve, train like that.

my arms have EXPLODED since my latest injury several months ago has ended my usual type of training that i have been doing for 20 years, and i have a dedicated 20 set arm day every week.

i know this because never before in my life have I had lay-people frequently comment me on my arms, are you a bodybuilder, etc.

even though i used to be MUCH MUCH bigger, stronger, and more athletic.

last but not least, holey jesus, e-bomb and hungry4more have my vote for the best wheels on this site, no?

I imagine anyone training for the length of time and with the intensity he did would make progress no matter what they did.

Clearly it wouldn’t be very smart to mimic his training if you didn’t know how to push yourself and did it at a low intensity.

e.g. I know plenty of really lean strong people who do Hiit, but I’m never going to be able to do it to a high intensity as they do, I just cant motivate myself to do it. However I can motivate myself to do steady state cardio (5-10k runs) with a reasonable intensity for the exercise, so I do those as I get more out of it.

If you can push yourself more on a bodypart split, just do that. imo gains = intensity and commitment more than exercise selection or order