T Nation

Opinions After Getting Off V-Diet

I’m on day 11 of the V-Diet and doing great, down 11 pounds, but had a question about after I transition off the diet. I’ll be around 15% body fat after the diet is over and am looking to get down to 8%-10%. I would just continue the V-Diet again but I’m going to start playing basketball again and those two don’t exactly mix.

I need a diet that gives me enough calories to lift and play basketball. Is this just something that needs to be done with lean protein, veggies, and low carbs or is there some sort of actual diet to follow (I’m a big fan of guidelines to keep me focused)?

Only reason I’m asking now is because I want to be completely ready when the time comes and I don’t revert to my old ways.

[quote]Higgins wrote:
I’m on day 11 of the V-Diet and doing great, down 11 pounds, but had a question about after I transition off the diet. I’ll be around 15% body fat after the diet is over and am looking to get down to 8%-10%. I would just continue the V-Diet again but I’m going to start playing basketball again and those two don’t exactly mix.

I need a diet that gives me enough calories to lift and play basketball. Is this just something that needs to be done with lean protein, veggies, and low carbs or is there some sort of actual diet to follow (I’m a big fan of guidelines to keep me focused)?

Only reason I’m asking now is because I want to be completely ready when the time comes and I don’t revert to my old ways.[/quote]

Seeing that you are going to be playing basketball, if you want to perform optimally you may need to adopt a more balanced approach with your diet. Something like 40% protein/30%carbs/30%fat. However, I think you’ll need to transition slowly into this, as per the directions Shugart outlines when transitioning off the V-Diet.

Of course, it goes without saying that not only should you transition the shift to greater carbs, but you need to make your caloric transition slow as well.

However, if you find you perform fine with a fat dominant diet, then you may not many more carbs anyways. If you’re going to be at 15% bodyfat after the V-Diet, however, and you’re looking to get down to 8-10%, low-carbs would be the best way to get there if you weren’t doing such intense activity in playing basketball. Considering that, somewhat higher carbs is most likely going to be the way to go so that glycogen levels don’t fall so low that too much muscle mass is lost. As far as the exact amounts, you’ll most likely have to experiment a bit.

To reiterate, I would transition as per the V-Diet guidelines, and gauge how you perform and look once you start playing basketball again. Most likely, you will benefit by adding in more carbs in the form of fruit and vegetables in the morning and post-workout/ post-basketball.

Good luck.