T Nation

Opinions About Jump Squats?

jump squats, what do you think about them? safe? efficient for velocity and power improve?

I like 'em. Lots of variations, too. Regular, concentric, ISO-concentric, reactive. You could probably even use bands!

yes

What about depth? In that video he’s barely even quarter squatting.

That’s pretty much the basic jump squat. Just like a jump, just with a bar.

To be honest, I have never really seen any improvements that I can attribute to jump squats, at least in relation to my vertical. How were you planning on using them and where are you at with your training at this point?

in a jump squat i’d only ever go to a 130degree angle for depth…same angle i shoot for for my olympic pulls, and the same angle i’d use for a standing vertical leap…it should be your strongest possition and the one to practice for those sorts of things

well, im looking for a ballistic exercise in order to improve my athletic ability, mainly sprint running and velocity.
jump squat is my only option, because i dont have any coach that can teach me power clean/snatch.
my concern is that this drill seems a bit hard on the knees…

I think they are a pretty shitty exercise, for one its dangerous and the weight you can use is so light because even if you do go higher it just increases chance of injury.

Want to improve your vertical, and sprint running? Do atg squats, and plyometrics. Do lots of box jumping, this is one of the best things you can do to improve vertical not silly jumps with a bar on your back. For sprints, along with full squats, do SPRINTS. Seems simple huh? Its not rocket science, want to get faster run more, want to jump higher jump more.

Those type of drills supplemented with simple heavy lifting will give you results.

I think the jump squat has it’s uses. I have seen it be effective at certain times. It’s not something that is routinely part of the training program but there are times when I have seen them to be very useful.

[quote]redivote wrote:
well, im looking for a ballistic exercise in order to improve my athletic ability, mainly sprint running and velocity.
jump squat is my only option, because i dont have any coach that can teach me power clean/snatch.
my concern is that this drill seems a bit hard on the knees…[/quote]

Keep getting strong as hell, run sprints, med ball throws and starts, box jumps/vertical jumps and depth jumps in small doses occasionally. Programmed correctly, those things will get you quite far.

What are you trying to improve about your sprinting? Acceleration or top speed? If it’s acceleration, the jump squat will be appropriate. I would start from a dead stop at the bottom in order to better train RFD against a static object.

Also remember that even though they can be effective, power results will tend to dry up in about 2-4 weeks, so don’t hammer it to death.

If you do them, make sure its off a rubber mat or something thats padded on the ground to absorb the shock. Jump squats and concrete are a big NO NO for long term knee health!!!

I like jump squats. I prefer to use dumbells in each hand versus having a bar on my back. I think jump squats while holding the bar in front squat position could help in the jerk part of the Clean & Jerk.

I believe in Kelley Baggett’s Vertical Jump Bible, he recommends using 30% of your 1 rep max on the squat.

It is also recommended that you don’t do more intense plyometrics, such a weighted squat jumps, until the athlete can legitimately squat at least 150% of their body weight.

By being able to squat that amount of weight, it is in indicator that the athlete has a strong enough strength base to handle the force of weighted jump squats.

[quote]redivote wrote:

They do seem really hard on the knees! As far as I know power cleans are pretty good for what you’re looking for and I think you could get half decent without a coach–some people do pretty good with a camcorder and post their videos for feedback. Just don’t use any weight at first. That said I don’t have a coach or a camcorder so I’m probably not the best person to give advice!

[quote]shizen wrote:
I think they are a pretty shitty exercise, for one its dangerous and the weight you can use is so light because even if you do go higher it just increases chance of injury.

Want to improve your vertical, and sprint running? Do atg squats, and plyometrics. Do lots of box jumping, this is one of the best things you can do to improve vertical not silly jumps with a bar on your back. For sprints, along with full squats, do SPRINTS. Seems simple huh? Its not rocket science, want to get faster run more, want to jump higher jump more.

Those type of drills supplemented with simple heavy lifting will give you results. [/quote]

Ditto

You have to be pretty uncoordinated for the jump squat to be dangerous.

I think that if you use an appropriate weight the jump squat works well. The most I have ever used a jump squat with positive results is once per week using a 120# sand bag for 5X5. I supposed that this was a little under 50% of my body weight and about 20% of my squat max. It was not a weight that was real heavy for me. I jumped on my yard on the grass and had no knee problems. Can you benefit from higher frequency? I think temporarily you can but if you approach it as a once per week or once every other week item it may benefit you over the long haul.

I think that I have seen a recommendation for doing them every ten days and working in a 3 legged triple jump workout (un-weighted at first on a very forgiving surface, go easy) in between jump squat sessions. I’ve done this but do what works for you.

I don’t think that they improved my lifting strength much but they did help with my jumping and sprinting.

My vertical was up around 38 inches with one step at this time. My bodyweight was 245# or so.

I have also experienced good explosive increases from just doing powercleans. Start light and go for it you’ll get the hang of it. Chances are you may find a person who does not know much about the technique but is sure willing to help you learn it.

Good luck.

[quote]redivote wrote:

People, for the love of all thats holy, stop buying into the BS that the clean and the snatch are some sort of arcane knowledge known only to the initiate. This is a pet frigging peeve of mine, but if you can do a deadlift, an RDL, a front squat and a vertical jump, then why the heck can you not clean? Watch videos of olympic lifters, they’re all over the internet, and right now there is literally HOURS of footage from the games on NBC’s website. Will your form be perfect? No, but guess what, neither is your squat form (or any other number of exercises,) and I hope you’re still squatting.

You wanna clean? Then I don’t care if there isnt a coach within a thousand miles of you, teach yourself - you wont be the first, nor the last.

If you do decide to learn an olympic variant powercleans are easy to learn and very good. Also, try to learn to do a power snatch, from a hang, with no pre-tensing or loading. It’s all in the triple extension.

And yes sprinting can help you get faster if you are not doing that already. Playing games involving chasing something i.e. racketball can help a great deal as well.