T Nation

Opinion on This Set/Rep Approach?

You train all the big lifts two times a week and what you do is that you take 85% of your max and first session you do 3 reps of 3 sets with that. the next session you do 3 reps of 4 sets, then 5 sets, up to 10 sets. then you do a deload week after that you add 5 more kilos to your maxes and start over with 85% of that.

does this sound good to you for increasing strength and size? the idea is that the first sessions increase neural strength and as the sets increases its purely myofibrillar hypertrophy, which is the actual muscle fibers getting bigger and stronger.

i also have another question: i have never done a deload before i have just taken weeks off. the basic argument for deload > rest week is that you stimulate just a wee bit more protein synthesis to keep your from losing muscle and strength. my question is tough, since i normaly hit my muscles twice a week can i just hit them once since we are not trying to do more than maintain? so i get best of both worlds.

This sounds like a great system. You might be a little run down during the second week or so, but keep pushing through it and your body will adapt! For a deload week, I think you will find that you want to still do something at least 5 days a week after doing such high volume for 8 weeks. Light squatting, dumbell bench, speed deadlifts, sled work, etc will keep that small stimulation you need and get joints moving to maintain range of motion.

By the end of that week, you may even feel good enough to go for a heavy single with each big lift. I would wait until you get there to decide. My only strong feeling is that only lifting 3 days that week would be a waste of your training.

[quote]buildsomemuscle wrote:
You train all the big lifts two times a week and what you do is that you take 85% of your max and first session you do 3 reps of 3 sets with that. the next session you do 3 reps of 4 sets, then 5 sets, up to 10 sets. then you do a deload week after that you add 5 more kilos to your maxes and start over with 85% of that.

does this sound good to you for increasing strength and size? the idea is that the first sessions increase neural strength and as the sets increases its purely myofibrillar hypertrophy, which is the actual muscle fibers getting bigger and stronger.

i also have another question: i have never done a deload before i have just taken weeks off. the basic argument for deload > rest week is that you stimulate just a wee bit more protein synthesis to keep your from losing muscle and strength. my question is tough, since i normaly hit my muscles twice a week can i just hit them once since we are not trying to do more than maintain? so i get best of both worlds. [/quote]

What is your main goal? Hypertrophy or strength? Waterbury(calm down fellas…) had a routine i used to do in college that was a different loding principle but worked great for strength and size 10 sets of 3 reps and each week you add a rep so 10x3 with 200 lbs becomes 10x4 and so on. Once you get to 10x6 on the deadlift day you hate life the next morning.

When I used to train for strenght mainly, I would do strictly 3x3s and instead of upping the sets, i would up the weight.

Those suggestions being said I think you should try out what you have outlined and let us know how it works. But if hypertrophy is your goal, your reps would be too low.

[quote]l-bomb10 wrote:
This sounds like a great system. You might be a little run down during the second week or so, but keep pushing through it and your body will adapt! For a deload week, I think you will find that you want to still do something at least 5 days a week after doing such high volume for 8 weeks. Light squatting, dumbell bench, speed deadlifts, sled work, etc will keep that small stimulation you need and get joints moving to maintain range of motion.

By the end of that week, you may even feel good enough to go for a heavy single with each big lift. I would wait until you get there to decide. My only strong feeling is that only lifting 3 days that week would be a waste of your training.[/quote]

Will do, thanks.

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]buildsomemuscle wrote:

i also have another question: i have never done a deload before i have just taken weeks off. the basic argument for deload > rest week is that you stimulate just a wee bit more protein synthesis to keep your from losing muscle and strength. my question is tough, since i normaly hit my muscles twice a week can i just hit them once since we are not trying to do more than maintain? so i get best of both worlds. [/quote]

What is your main goal? Hypertrophy or strength? Waterbury(calm down fellas…) had a routine i used to do in college that was a different loding principle but worked great for strength and size 10 sets of 3 reps and each week you add a rep so 10x3 with 200 lbs becomes 10x4 and so on. Once you get to 10x6 on the deadlift day you hate life the next morning.

When I used to train for strenght mainly, I would do strictly 3x3s and instead of upping the sets, i would up the weight.

Those suggestions being said I think you should try out what you have outlined and let us know how it works. But if hypertrophy is your goal, your reps would be too low. [/quote] i would say my main goal would be strength atm( i want to beat my brothers PRs), but also want to get bigger, just not as much as i want to get stronger. Yes the reps would be too low but thats why i would be increasing the amount of sets, so that i eventually i get enough time under tension and total workload to stimulate hypertrophy while using a much bigger load than when doing 10 reps of 3 sets.

i can report back when i have gone trough a cycle, altough thats going to be a while since i am cutting fat at the moment and will not be starting this before my next bulk( around the beginning of may )

Doug Hepburn did something fairly similar. He started with like 8x2 with his 6RM. Then every workout he would add just one rep (i.e. 1x3 then 7x2) and keep the same weight. When he got to 8x3, he increased the weight. Might be interesting to try as well. I think Christian Thibaudeau and Mike Mahler have done write ups on it.

Like the above mentioned, it’s a good progression that Doug Hepburn used.

I used more of a load based progression and it has given me good gains. I started with 10x1 @ 405 and added 10lb per week until I reached 10x1 @ 475. This brought my deadlift 1RM from 475 to 515.