T Nation

Opinion on Myo-Reps

CT, what is your opinion on myo reps to build muscle and save time? Do they have to be periodized or can they be used indefinitely?

**Why is it not seen a lot in training programs?

He discusses myo reps here.

Borge (inventor of Myo Reps) is a friend of mine (we are in fact planning a joint seminar). I love Myo Reps. Very effective approach.

When it comes to “bodybuilding”, or traning strictly for visual changes (muscle gains, getting leaner) there is no real need to “periodize”. Periodization refers to dividing training into “periods” or phases where you focus on some specific elements to develop.

I think that a lot of people use periodization too broadly: for them “changing program” = “periodization”. It’s not as simple as that. If you keep the same type of approach or training dominance (e.g. if you stay in the “muscular” dominance zone) even if you change the methods and/or exercises it’s not really periodization.

Anyway, I don’t want to get into semantics, it’s not important. But when the goal is physical improvement… when strength, power, endurance and athletic performances are not of prime importance, there is much less need to periodize. That doesn’t mean that you should stick to the same program forever. Heck some guys (me included) training specifically form muscle mass change something at every session. I’m pretty sure that in my life I never did the exact same session twice.

So in that regard, myo-reps do not need to be periodized.

That’s a tricky question. In theory, yes.

The world is full of examples of successful individuals in strength/body sports who did pretty much the same peogram for their whole careers (or made few changes). BUT some people NEED change and variation to stay motivated.

So the answer to your question depends on your neurotype/personality