Opinion on My Total Body Workout?

Before this i’ve been doing split workout. Now i’ve been doing total body workout and i’ve been enjoying it so far. This is the routine that i do. What do u guys think? Pretty much hypertrophy training. I’ve been doing some reading and i’ve found plenty of people prefer to do 5x5 when it comes to total body workout. I did 5x5 before but only for a week just to test it out. Doesnt feel so much ‘pump’ doing it. I often add dropsets here and there in 3 exercise per workout.

Monday (3 sets 10-12 Reps)
Flat BB Press
Close grip barbell press
Lat Pulldown
Seated Cable row
Military Press
Lateral Raise
Barbell Curl
Close grip barbell curl
Squat

Wednesday (3 sets 10-12 Reps)
Incline BB press
Dumbell Fly
Deadlift
Reverse grip lat pulldown
Behind the neck shoulder press
Upright Row
Close grip tricep BB press
Rope pulldown

Friday (3 set 10-12 reps)
Flat dumbell press
Seated Machine Chest Press
Dumbell Row
Close Grip pulldown
Shoulder Dumbell Press
Bent over lateral raise
Squat

Too many exercises, I’d personally go for something more like:

A:

Squat
Bench press
Pull-ups
curl variation

B:

Deadlift
OHP
Row
Tricep extension

Why do u think its too many exercise? If i do split workout, for example chest day. i i will do 3 sets of 6 chest exercise and 3 sets of 2 arm exercise. Total of 24 sets. Same goes to the total body that i do. 3 sets of 8 exercise per day. Dont u think so? This is what i think. Correct me if i’m wrong.

That math adds up, but you’re not looking at the big picture. If you were doing a body part split, you’re hitting that muscle group once a week (maaaybe twice). With a full body split, you’re hitting those same muscles 3x a week. So the math for the total split would be too much.

1. Put squats first in at least one of the workouts
  2. Here are some of the exercises you can cut out:

Lat Pulldown + Seated Cable row (replace these with pull-ups)
Close grip barbell curl
Dumbell Fly
Close grip tricep BB press or the rope pulldown
Close Grip pulldown

Just increase the intensity on the other movements for that day that would hit the same muscles (i.e. cut out the close grip barbell curl and just go heavier on the regular barbell curls). Full body splits are not meant for hitting every single muscle from every angle everyday.

To give you an idea of why you have too many exercises, here are all of the ones that you have each week that directly work your anterior shoulder:

Flat BB Press
Close grip barbell press
Military Press
Incline BB press
Behind the neck shoulder press
Upright Row
Flat dumbell press
Shoulder Dumbell Press

Aside from the fact that it’s completely imbalanced compared to the number of pulling exercises, 3x10-12 of each of those in a week will wreck you. Not to mention all the other exercises that still require some anterior delt activation.

1 Like

i seee. i understand what your saying. Could u give me sample of total body training? Strength with alongside hypertrophy training perhaps. Anything that u think its best.

Hmmmm, well first, what is your draw to a total body program? Does going to gym now 3x a week fit your schedule best? You say you were doing a body split workout earlier, and I’m of the opinion that anyone who can workout 4+ times a week should. Extrapolate 4x vs 3x a week over the course of a year, and you have 52 more workouts, 52 more days of pushing your endocrine system, encouraging anabolism, 52 nights of rest that are more utilized for growth.

The iron game is cumulative, but that being said, if 3x a week gets you to the gym most consistently, then that’s what will add up most.

This isn’t a set program, but it gives you a template and a selection of exercises:

This seems kiiinda similar to what you’ve doing, just cuts down on the volume and varies the intensities day to day. Maybe it would interest you to follow something more like this since you say you’ve been enjoying your program thus far. This just improves its biggest weaknesses.

It looks like you are trying to keep the same principles of a bro split into a less frequent full body work out. The volume here is not going to work well unless you are an advanced bodybuilder with a very high work capacity.

This ‘program’ doesn’t look like the work of an advanced lifter.

1 Like

It’s a list of exercises with no thought patterns whatsoever.

You are also adding lower body as an afterthought as if they don’t matter.

1 Like

Because, when you do several different exercises back to back (especially compound stuff) the latter half or third of your work-out almost always tends to suffer…of course it’s possible to pull it off, but I personally doubt it would be optimal.

Ok guys. I agree with all of you. What is the best total body workout then? Sets and reps? Thankss.

Click on the link. Read. Profit.

2 Likes