T Nation

Opinion on My Routine

First off...I'm 6'3" 180 lbs. I do masonry for a living, which, as you may know, consists of a lot of continuous lifting, carrying weight, throwing around 80 lb bags of cement etc... The only break I get is about a 20-30 minute lunch so it's pretty constant.

With that out of the way, my routine, which a buddy of mine developed for me, looks like this:

Monday

Back Squat
5 sets of 5 reps each
rest 3 min. between each set
Look straight ahead. Go down until your ass touches the backs of your legs. Keep your back straight!

Deadlift(standard)
5 sets of 5 reps each
rest 3 min between sets.
Keep your back straight, especially your mid back. Do not bounce the weights.

Calf Raises
3 sets of 12 reps each
rest 1&1/2-2 min. between sets
Set the balls of your feet on a 2x4 and lift yourself moving only your ankles.
Calves respond better to higher repetitions than your thighs.

Hanging Leg Raise
3 sets of as many reps as possible(this is called lifting untill failure)
rest 2 min. between sets
Hang from a pullup bar and lift your STRAIGHT legs high as possible

Saxon Side Bend
3 sets of 10 reps
rest 2 min between sets
Hold a plate or dumbell overhead to add resistance to sidebends. Be careful not to bend too far. Maybe 50-60 degrees?

Wednesday; pushing muscles

Wednesday

Benchpress(standard)
5 sets of 5 reps
rest 3 min. between sets

Shoulder Press(barbell or dumbell)
10, 8, 6 reps
rest 2 min. between sets

Close-Grip Benchpress
10, 8, 6 reps
rest 2 min. between sets

Twisting Crunches
3 sets to failure

Friday; Pulling Muscles

Power Clean
5 sets of 5 reps
rest 3 min. between sets

Wide-grip pullup
3 sets to failure
rest 2 min. between sets

Barbell Curl
10, 8, 6
rest 2 min. between sets

Hanging Twist
3 sets to failure
rest 1 min. between sets

The reason it may look odd to you, is that I don't have a gym membership, and at my house all I have is an EZ curl bar, an olympic barbell, a bench with the leg extension attatchment, a preacher curl thing, and a pull-up bar. The downside to all this is I only have about 180 lbs of weight, which I plan on picking up more as soon as I have the dough. When I can I'll check out my bf%. Because of my job, I've had some compliments on my bi's which measure out to 14 1/4 inches right now...I'm pretty damned skinny though for my height, or so I think, lol. Anyway, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. If you need any more info on me let me know.

thanks

Yeah this looks ok,

But I’ll say it before anyone else does-

Why not go with a program written by a proffesional. There are just too many good, time tested routines out there.

However if you are determined to stick to this program…

Personally I’d hit the deads on the friday, going hell for leather on a 5x5 DL straight after squats is just impossible. You’ll just never hit the deads as hard as you could or should.

What’s with the 10,8,6? Why not just 5x5 or 3x5 on everything? Curls and calves maybe 3x 10-15, and I can see and argument for doing ab-exercises 3x failure. With the pull-ups, add weight so that you can do just 5 reps. Your lats will thank you for it.

But I would seriously consider doing a well-written beginners program. I’m sure you’ve heard of starting strength? It basically involves all the lifts you’ve listed. And you can add your precious curls and something for your tri’s (my suggestion is close grip dips), to the end of your workout.

[quote]tassietaekwon wrote:
Yeah this looks ok,

But I’ll say it before anyone else does-

Why not go with a program written by a proffesional. There are just too many good, time tested routines out there.

However if you are determined to stick to this program…

Personally I’d hit the deads on the friday, going hell for leather on a 5x5 DL straight after squats is just impossible. You’ll just never hit the deads as hard as you could or should.

What’s with the 10,8,6? Why not just 5x5 or 3x5 on everything? Curls and calves maybe 3x 10-15, and I can see and argument for doing ab-exercises 3x failure. With the pull-ups, add weight so that you can do just 5 reps. Your lats will thank you for it.

But I would seriously consider doing a well-written beginners program. I’m sure you’ve heard of starting strength? It basically involves all the lifts you’ve listed. And you can add your precious curls and something for your tri’s (my suggestion is close grip dips), to the end of your workout.

[/quote]

It doesn’t involved any more equipment than what I have?

Ive done stronglifts 5x5, which is kinda like starting strength.

The equipment you need is:

• Power rack / squat rack
  • Bench press
  • Barbells
  • 2.5 lbs plates (and the rest of the weight plates)
  • some free space
  • a bar you can hang from for pullups/leg raises
  • dumbells a big plus, (though I remember using them only for reverse crunches.)

and your pretty much good to go. The workout can be done in less than an hour. Starting strength has like only 3-4 exercises. Very quick.

@tassietaekwon:
same advice I got on the strength sports column. So, I decided to follow a tried and tested program and leave the DIY programming for the advanced lifters. Makes sense anyway.