T Nation

Opinion of this Powerlifting Workout

I recently came across this workout on a UK powerlifting website and i was wondering about your thoughts?

Monday

Pushing

Bench press

5 x 10

Press behind neck

4 x 10

Military press

3 x 10

Dips

3 x 10

Lying tricep hammer curls

3 x 10

Tricep press downs

3 x 10

Tuesday - REST

Wednesday

Pulling

Bent over rows

4 x 10

Deadlift

8/6/4/2/1

Lat pull downs

4 x 10

Lat pulley rows

4 x 10

Upright rows

4 x 10

Bicep curls

3 x 10

Shrugs

3 x 10

Hyper extensions

Thursday - REST

Friday

Legs

Squats

5 x 10

Leg press machine

4 x 10

Leg extensions

4 x 10

Leg curls

4 x 10

Weekend rest

I highly doubt that is any sort of successful powerlifting protocol. there is NO low rep stuff. It looks like a mediocre bodybuilding split

Yeah, it’s way too much volume at too-low intensities. How long have you been lifting? Stats?

im on a high rep phase such as this and while its not the most effective to increase ones maxes it still does slighty while adding size, and its good to have periodzation i think

What? Why would anyone focus on size if their interested in powerlifting?

I mean, I realize that different people have different goals, but why would you worry about size when the goal is to be as strong as you can possibly be? Wouldn’t you want to use the fastest most effective program to get there?

Then again, I know nothing about setting up training cycles. I just go in and do what the big guys say to do.

OP, why not just do something like sheiko or westside?

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
What? Why would anyone focus on size if their interested in powerlifting?

I mean, I realize that different people have different goals, but why would you worry about size when the goal is to be as strong as you can possibly be? Wouldn’t you want to use the fastest most effective program to get there?

Then again, I know nothing about setting up training cycles. I just go in and do what the big guys say to do.

OP, why not just do something like sheiko or westside?[/quote]

Some people (myself included), feel that we gain strength faster with a combination of hypertrophy and max effort work. It’s been working for me! Changing rep schemes from high/moderate reps down to lower reps after a few weeks is a pretty old method. Just look at the assistance work on coan-phillipi if you don’t believe me.

the routine looks ok, the rep ranges need to be changed though.

Powerlifters would focus on size because they need to go up a weightclass (or several to even out their leverages), there’s not many people who enter the sport in their ideal weightclass most have to gain a good deal of weight (Coan, Karwoski, Vogelpohl all gained at least 50 pounds to get to their highest totals, while Donnie Thompson, Frank, Gillingham and Siders all gained close to 100). I’ve done similar programs before to gain weight (going from light 198 to a full 220) with good results.

I think the program looks fine for an offseason program for a low level lifter who needs some muscle and practice doing the lifts, I would probably make the following changes:

1: move deadlifts to monday so you have a couple of extra days rest between squat and deadlift

2: I would do less sets with a little higher reps on deadlift day, its going to be hard to recover from singles and doubles with all of the other volume, I would do something like 2x8 followed by 1x8 on still legs

3: On bench day I would do only one type of the overhead press, doing both is overkill, and I would probably drop one of the tri exercises and/or substitute something a little more compund like only doing dips
and close grips for tris.

4: I would only train like this for a limited period of time, say 5-8 weeks and you would have to periodize it make it through say 1st couple weeks relatively light and jumping 10 pounds a week.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
buckeye girl wrote:
What? Why would anyone focus on size if their interested in powerlifting?

I mean, I realize that different people have different goals, but why would you worry about size when the goal is to be as strong as you can possibly be? Wouldn’t you want to use the fastest most effective program to get there?

Then again, I know nothing about setting up training cycles. I just go in and do what the big guys say to do.

OP, why not just do something like sheiko or westside?

Some people (myself included), feel that we gain strength faster with a combination of hypertrophy and max effort work. It’s been working for me! Changing rep schemes from high/moderate reps down to lower reps after a few weeks is a pretty old method. Just look at the assistance work on coan-phillipi if you don’t believe me.[/quote]

I’m not saying that high rep is bad. My assistance work involves sets of anywhere between 10 and 20 reps. I just don’t understand why one would do as much as is in the program the OP posted.

And bignate mentioned doing a high rep phase that he doesn’t feel is the most effective way to increase strength. That just seems silly to me.

EDIT: of course, if size is your immediate goal it would make sense, but generally speaking, I don’t see how something like 5x10 on the big 3 would be the best way to go.

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
buckeye girl wrote:
What? Why would anyone focus on size if their interested in powerlifting?

I mean, I realize that different people have different goals, but why would you worry about size when the goal is to be as strong as you can possibly be? Wouldn’t you want to use the fastest most effective program to get there?

Then again, I know nothing about setting up training cycles. I just go in and do what the big guys say to do.

OP, why not just do something like sheiko or westside?

Some people (myself included), feel that we gain strength faster with a combination of hypertrophy and max effort work. It’s been working for me! Changing rep schemes from high/moderate reps down to lower reps after a few weeks is a pretty old method. Just look at the assistance work on coan-phillipi if you don’t believe me.

I’m not saying that high rep is bad. My assistance work involves sets of anywhere between 10 and 20 reps. I just don’t understand why one would do as much as is in the program the OP posted.

And bignate mentioned doing a high rep phase that he doesn’t feel is the most effective way to increase strength. That just seems silly to me.

EDIT: of course, if size is your immediate goal it would make sense, but generally speaking, I don’t see how something like 5x10 on the big 3 would be the best way to go.[/quote]

I agree.

It doesnt get u the fastest results to a higher max but doing reps still helps, and i felt i needed more muscle size and mass to be more effective at low rep stuff, it was just what was right for me right now eveyrone is diff.