Opening a Hardcore Gym in N.C.

This was the best place I could think to post this. By the end of this year I hope to have opened a real hardcore gym in North Carolina. Right now i am trying to figure out where would be the best location, and would also like some input on specific equipment you would love to see in your perfect gym. Money is not an object. I plan on having a specific area for olympic type lifting along with an area dedicated to strongman athletes with strongman specific apparatuses such as, flipping tires of all weights, atlas stones, lifting logs, yokes, a couple vehicles to pull, and deadlift with.

Also, if you live on the eastern side of N.C. I would like to hear from you about locations you would think to be the best. I am looking at Goldsboro, Fayteville, and the Raleigh-Durham area. Thank you.

I think the best place to open a true hardcore gym like this would be in St Helens, Merseyside, UK. Two minutes walk from my house.

How about Charlotte? If I get into the Fire Department there I could train at your gym.

-Squat Rack
-Texas Power Bar
-Squat bar (extra long, 8’ instead of 7 I believe)
-Competition Bench Press - most commercial benches are retarded, the j hooks are too high or low, they wobble, all sorts of problems
-Safety Squat Bar
-Cambered Bench Press Bar
-Giant Cambered Bar
-GHR
-Chest Supported Row
-DBs up to … dare I be greedy/wildly optimistic and say 200? Actually, DBs up to 100 would probably be ok, then have a pair of ironmind big boys with 40 10# plates that can be adjusted up to 200
-50-100’ long track to flip tires, yoke, farmers, etc
-Yoke
-Farmers
-Tires - 400, 650, 800, 900-1000
-Atlas Stones, If I had women training there start at 100, if not start at ~230, go up to ~475, jumping in about 20 lb increments
-12" log
-2" axle
-Monolift
-bumper plates
-Bands

Thats in order of priority, and off the top of my head. As long as I’m wishing, I would also like a pony and one, ah, heck, make that ten million dollars

Reverse Hyper would be nice too.

And a stereo playing rock and heavy metal.
AC/DC
The Who
The Clash
Rage against the Machine
DMX
etc.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
-Squat Rack
-Texas Power Bar
-Squat bar (extra long, 8’ instead of 7 I believe)
-Competition Bench Press - most commercial benches are retarded, the j hooks are too high or low, they wobble, all sorts of problems
-Safety Squat Bar
-Cambered Bench Press Bar
-Giant Cambered Bar
-GHR
-Chest Supported Row
-DBs up to … dare I be greedy/wildly optimistic and say 200? Actually, DBs up to 100 would probably be ok, then have a pair of ironmind big boys with 40 10# plates that can be adjusted up to 200
-50-100’ long track to flip tires, yoke, farmers, etc
-Yoke
-Farmers
-Tires - 400, 650, 800, 900-1000
-Atlas Stones, If I had women training there start at 100, if not start at ~230, go up to ~475, jumping in about 20 lb increments
-12" log
-2" axle
-Monolift
-bumper plates
-Bands

Thats in order of priority, and off the top of my head. As long as I’m wishing, I would also like a pony and one, ah, heck, make that ten million dollars[/quote]

You gonna lift that pony or eat him?

Raleigh Durham please! Preferably Durham. There is already a hardcore gym in Clayton, which is a bit southeast of Raleigh. The Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) is an economically booming area with lots of people starved for a good gym! Also, hire me, I need a job!

[quote]BiggIrishmann wrote:
This was the best place I could think to post this. By the end of this year I hope to have opened a real hardcore gym in North Carolina. Right now i am trying to figure out where would be the best location, and would also like some input on specific equipment you would love to see in your perfect gym. Money is not an object. I plan on having a specific area for olympic type lifting along with an area dedicated to strongman athletes with strongman specific apparatuses such as, flipping tires of all weights, atlas stones, lifting logs, yokes, a couple vehicles to pull, and deadlift with. Also, if you live on the eastern side of N.C. I would like to hear from you about locations you would think to be the best. I am looking at Goldsboro, Fayteville, and the Raleigh-Durham area. Thank you.[/quote]

FAYETTEVILLE!!! I FUCKING LOVE YOU, MAN. I live no more than 10 minutes from there.

Gym Equipment: Chalk, Squat Racks(Plural, not singular), Lifting Platforms, Benches, Dumbells, varying types of barbells, medicine ball, and machines. Best I can think of off the top of my head.

In fayetteville, I haven’t seen too many hardcore gyms. Except one. Promark Fitness. Great place. Every other gym is either Gold’s gym(Only one of them doesn’t suck), World’s Gym(good place, one of the few 24hour places, but there’s only ONE world gym in the city), and a bunch of fitness spas.

If you were to take it to fayetteville, I’m not sure if we’d give you as much business as Charlotte and Raleigh. But they have more hardcore gyms than we do, I’m sure of it.

I have been thinking of getting a teaching job in North or South Carolina soon. If u open it I will definetly pick North Carolina!

Have you been in touch with anyone from the NPC? The guy who runs it in SC, Trey, seems very cool and extreamly eager to help those that are up & coming bodybuilders. So I’m sure he could give you tons of advice on where the hardcore bbers are located.

Morrison Productions puts on the majority of bbing shows in NC and Morrison is an ex-bber himself so he would probably be a great asset.

If your interested in getting contact information on any of these guys, please let me know. Just send me a PM. I have their email addresses at my office.

Also, theres a gym owner here in Columbia, SC that put on a new show this summer and they want to bring it back annually. I can get his name & number for you as well, I’m sure hed more than happy to help you out and give you some leads.

Great thing about this industry, everyone is so helpful in seeing the next person reach his/her goal!

Best of luck on the success of your new gym. I would love to be there for the ribbon cutting ceremony!!

B-3

Everything mentioned is already planned on being there, except for the monolift. Never heard of it. I did a google search and it looks interesting, I will have to do more research on it. I would also like to hold competitions at the gym like bench contests,strongman contests etc. Of course NO GAY MUSIC!!! ( No offense gay guys). I am working with a company right now on getting old school round york style dumbells up to 300 lbs. But those will only be available in the strongman area. This area will not be open to everyone for liability reasons. No squat rack curls will be tolerated, violators will be given swirlys. I am also working with a scandinavian company for the gym equipment. Very stout hardcore stuff. Chains and bands will also be available to members. I was thinking more towards Fayettville because of the military base. But I also know that the Raleigh Durham area is booming, and as far as gyms go, sucks. Time will only tell.

Greenville/Spartanburg area in SC. Pleeeease.

[quote]autodiadect wrote:
Greenville/Spartanburg area in SC. Pleeeease.[/quote]

Sorry. N.C. is the place for me. Where the sheep are safe, and they only marry cousins not siblings.

Everything mentioned is already planned on being there, except for the monolift. Never heard of it. I did a google search and it looks interesting, I will have to do more research on it.[/quote]

I like it because that way you dont have to walk squats out. SOme people consider that cheating, since you can use more weight that way. I just consider it plain old safe; besides, think of it as overloading your legs, so that the stabilizing muscles of your torso arent the limiting factor.

If you actually get all this stuff i believe you will have teh best gym open to the public in the country. DBs up to 300? even kroczaleski doesnt use those … yet.

autodiadect wrote:

Sorry. N.C. is the place for me. Where the sheep are safe, and they only marry cousins not siblings.[/quote]

Having lived in both states, I can say that they are the same as far as crazies and rednecks go.

Once you get to the Carolinas though, you will realize exactly how untrue all of the negative stereotypes that you hear about southerners really are. A great deal of the bs that gets talked about the South is completely unfounded and perpetuated by people who have never been to the South. Its a viable part of the United States, not some cultural backwater where we all drive beat up trucks and horse carts and no one has a dental plan.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
BiggIrishmann wrote:
Everything mentioned is already planned on being there, except for the monolift. Never heard of it. I did a google search and it looks interesting, I will have to do more research on it.

I like it because that way you dont have to walk squats out. SOme people consider that cheating, since you can use more weight that way. I just consider it plain old safe; besides, think of it as overloading your legs, so that the stabilizing muscles of your torso arent the limiting factor.

If you actually get all this stuff i believe you will have teh best gym open to the public in the country. DBs up to 300? even kroczaleski doesnt use those … yet.

[/quote] I know of a hole in the wall place in Chula Vista where I have been invited to come and train that has original 300lb york dumbells, and they get used. The guy is an ex Olympic lifter and teaches guys the old school way of lifting. To bad it is a two hour drive from where I live.

[quote]autodiadect wrote:
BiggIrishmann wrote:
autodiadect wrote:

Sorry. N.C. is the place for me. Where the sheep are safe, and they only marry cousins not siblings.

Having lived in both states, I can say that they are the same as far as crazies and rednecks go.

Once you get to the Carolinas though, you will realize exactly how untrue all of the negative stereotypes that you hear about southerners really are. A great deal of the bs that gets talked about the South is completely unfounded and perpetuated by people who have never been to the South. Its a viable part of the United States, not some cultural backwater where we all drive beat up trucks and horse carts and no one has a dental plan.[/quote]

I know. I used to live in Texas, and it is nothing like it is portrayed to be.

Keep in mind Fort Bragg is one of the largest bases, and it has a fitness minded demographic. I haven’t been there, but from what I’ve seen, post gyms are shiny, not hardcore. Find out what the niche is, (strongman, MMA) and I bet you could cater towards some soldiers.

I know of a hole in the wall place in Chula Vista where I have been invited to come and train that has original 300lb york dumbells, and they get used. The guy is an ex Olympic lifter and teaches guys the old school way of lifting. To bad it is a two hour drive from where I live.
[/quote]
What exercises are they used for?

What made you choose those locations?