Openers Prior to Meet

If your meet is on Saturday is it OK to work up to your squat opener the Sunday before or would that be too close to the meet?

I would assume your opener to be something you could easily hit for a triple if not another. Now that being said if your gearing for a competition you should already be aroud that % to your 1RM

[quote]Pipes06 wrote:
I would assume your opener to be something you could easily hit for a triple if not another. Now that being said if your gearing for a competition you should already be aroud that % to your 1RM[/quote]

Yeah today I had my last heavy day, next week I was thinking of just hitting an opener, which like you said would be something around 90% or so just for a single.

Everyone is different with regards to how they need to supercompensate for a meet.

Personally, I only need a few consecutive days off. I may even hit my openers or something slightly lower in the 80%-85% the Mon or Tues before a Saturday meet.

I know some guys that will try their openers roughly 10 days out and not lift again until the meet. That would totally screw me up but it works for them.

I guess you’re just going to have to play around with it and figure out how your body responds best.

prior to both the meets I’ve done I maxed on the squat and DL 10 days out and on the bench 12 days out . I question the wisdom of that now that I look back on it .

I’m thinking this next meet I’ll hit my openers 14-18 days out , and my 2nd attempt weights 8-12 days out ; no lifting sub-7 days out.

1 rep maxes will be tested 10 weeks out , just prior to beginning of pre-meet peaking cycle.

but yes ,I would consider the sunday before to be too close for squatting. bench maybe o.k.;but squat/DL I would aim for 8 to 12 days out.

but I’m far from experienced enough in this matter to be giving advice on it , so thats just my opinion…thats it

[quote]marlboroman wrote:
but yes ,I would consider the sunday before to be too close for squatting. bench maybe o.k.;but squat/DL I would aim for 8 to 12 days out.
[/quote]

Not necessarily…it all depends on the lifter.

I’ve seen some training footage of the Bulgarian Team (Olympic Lifting) leading up to various meets, and they will typically work up to 80%-85%, the day before the meet.

[quote]Joe Grim wrote:
If your meet is on Saturday is it OK to work up to your squat opener the Sunday before or would that be too close to the meet?[/quote]

You’ll be fine with that, just as long as that’s all you do. Shut things down (don’t train) from that Monday all the way up to the meet. Stretch, walk around the block, get your gear together, visualize yourself hitting PR’s…that’s about it.

I work up to a double at my opener the sunday before a saturday meet. Just did 215kgx2 yesterday, and will open on that.

does everybody avoid working past thier opening weight ?

I’m opening between 300 and 320 on my squat in two weeks, and worked up to 370 on Saturday. I won’t lift heavy again until the meet, but I will still lift.

12 days out I will work up to my opening Squat, or possibly a little heavier. 10 days out I do the same for my bench.

5 days out I go through my warmups for Squat working up to two singles at 75%, and 3 days out I go through my warmups for Bench, again for two singles at around 75%. I do this just to make sure everything is dialed in, and also because I’ve found that if I take a full week off, I’m a little stale the first day back. But these two days are very low effort.

DL opener on the Saturday before
Squat opener on Monday
Bench opener on Tuesday, and call it a week.

That’s what works for me.

Personally, I don’t do anything after the Thursday before meet week giving me 10 days prior to the meet. You aren’t going to get any stronger and If you have trained correctly the rest will come in handy while handling big weights.

As everyone has stated it really depends on the lifter. For me it also depends on how far I am going to have to travel as well. If the meet is local then last deadlift 7-10 days out, last squat 5-6 days out, and last bench 4-5 days out is my goal(depends on my work schedule).

If I have to travel more than a few hours (with in the states) the above is about the same. If I am traveling out of the country then every thing backs up by about 4 days or so.

This is something you will really need to figure out by trial and error…cause every one and every meet is slightly different.

Malinda