T Nation

Open Gym vs Crossfit Box

Hi coach, questioning here since you're specifically positive about crossfit for athleticism

Moronic question but I didn't have that possibility until like 5 minutes ago. I have 2 options, first one is $150 a month, second one is twice that amount for a crossfit box. These are month to month renewal, no engagement

option 1: open gym, everything included rogue platforms chalk etc. very solid gym (no sleds nor chains tho) and I wanted to run 915 but I'm uncertain about my ability to clean, and learn how to pull better by myself. Thought about running it later but I think I have imbalances.

My total is 930/188lb bodyweight, been lifting for 3.5 years. Goal is to reach 1000 before 2016 and steadily gain a couple of pounds a month just like I did since this summer

option 2: crossfit box, 100% coaching in small groups focused towards Olympic weightlifting and conditioning, most of the time one day heavy (the guy showed me their template it's basically one squat day one deadlift day up to a few heavy sets then a WoD) and one day more like bodyweight with rope + kettlebell ring work and stuff.
Coaches are miles above me in terms of strength so they would very probably know better and I never had real life coaching (just a friend writing me my first programs, but only his bench is better than mine now)

Which one would you pick?

(The question is essentially: is group coaching with advanced lifters, with unlimited access, worth an extra $150 a month?)

[quote]tontongg wrote:
Hi coach, questioning here since you’re specifically positive about crossfit for athleticism

Moronic question but I didn’t have that possibility until like 5 minutes ago. I have 2 options, first one is $150 a month, second one is twice that amount for a crossfit box. These are month to month renewal, no engagement

option 1: open gym, everything included rogue platforms chalk etc. very solid gym (no sleds nor chains tho) and I wanted to run 915 but I’m uncertain about my ability to clean, and learn how to pull better by myself. Thought about running it later but I think I have imbalances.

My total is 930/188lb bodyweight, been lifting for 3.5 years. Goal is to reach 1000 before 2016 and steadily gain a couple of pounds a month just like I did since this summer

option 2: crossfit box, 100% coaching in small groups focused towards Olympic weightlifting and conditioning, most of the time one day heavy (the guy showed me their template it’s basically one squat day one deadlift day up to a few heavy sets then a WoD) and one day more like bodyweight with rope + kettlebell ring work and stuff.
Coaches are miles above me in terms of strength so they would very probably know better and I never had real life coaching (just a friend writing me my first programs, but only his bench is better than mine now)

Which one would you pick?

(The question is essentially: is group coaching with advanced lifters, with unlimited access, worth an extra $150 a month?)[/quote]

1. Considering that a personal training session normally cost around 50-75$/hour the 150$ more per month is worth it. While group classes are not the same thing as individual coaching, if the coaches are good and you go there 4x per week it comes up to less than 10$ per session for coaching. So in that regard that’s not bad.

2. Understand that in Crossfit boxes that do not offer open gym hours you have to do the daily WOD, you can’t do your own thing. If what they offer is exactly what you want or need that wouldn’t be too bad, but if you feel like doing something else or working on a personal weakness it might not be ideal. Furthermore YOU might not like doing the “Crossfit” elements of the workout even though you enjoy the strength aspect.

So really it depends on what you are looking for.

The 150$ more per month isn’t too much considering the price of good coaching BUT I do find the monthly prices for both to be a bit high… maybe it’s the price of the market in your region. In the part of Canada where I’m at the monthly prices for a Crossfit box that includes both group coaching and also an open gym option cost 90-100$ a month. But then again Some big crossfit gyms in the US are 300$ or more per month.

Indeed in San Francisco everything is absurdly priced. I think I’ll go there for one month 4-5x per week (2 hard days, 3 easy days most probably), give it a try and see how it goes. Might or might not like it, but getting access to coaching for Olympic lifts at the rate you calculated seems interesting indeed

Thanks a lot for the help.

[quote]tontongg wrote:
Indeed in San Francisco everything is absurdly priced. I think I’ll go there for one month 4-5x per week (2 hard days, 3 easy days most probably), give it a try and see how it goes. Might or might not like it, but getting access to coaching for Olympic lifts at the rate you calculated seems interesting indeed

Thanks a lot for the help.[/quote]

The best thing to do is to try it! What crossfit box is it so that I can check it out to see if I can make any recommendations

Name is flagship crossfit, Montgomery st. @San Francisco

Appreciate that a lot !

The “negative” (it really isn’t a negative but not something in which I can offer a recommendation) is that I don’t know any of the coaches (which doesn’t in any way make them less qualified) and that from what I’ve seen there is no mention of open gym hours.

The positive is that there are several program options, not just pure Crossfit. There is a performance program based on gaining strength in the big lifts and an Olympic lifting program. So even if these also have a short metcon session in them, they are likely to provide you what you want.

In SF as well. Really would be great to learn from CT then go to any performance gym and do my own thing. Don’t need the whole WOD/team/group sessions anyways

Studio mix on van ness has nice strength equipment and reasonably priced

What sucks is I can’t get something for more than 3 months in here actually because I’ll be going to NYC in 2016, so that leaves a lot of gyms out of the equation (signup fees, 12 months engagement etc)

I’m not a member yet as I have the “acclimating” going on this week (1on1 coaching on Thursday), but looks like I’ll give it a try - I might even like the results and look for a crossfit (with open gym) in NYC in 2016 then! who knows. Right now I highly value any live-coaching advice given. I thought that experienced members from the World gym could help but coaching (even in a group session) seems more appropriate

Jim Schmitz, a former USA team Olympic coach, has a gym in San Fran called Sports Palace, I think. If you wanted to concentrate on the Olympic lifts, this may be the place to check out…

Where is that? Can only find info about a place in south SF - too far away

actually my gym just moved locations and the new place blows. One option is a crossfit gym a few blocks away for $120 a month, they will let me do whatever I want there. Definitely considering it.

In SF?

Still talking about the same gym, I hadn’t understood that they had Olympic weightlifting program specifically. Thanks coach for talking about them I hadn’t got that they did this specific program.
Considering doing these (3x a week) to learn about these movements which I’ve always wanted to learn.

Then add 2x non-barbell training (“F/Fit”) maybe, for more overall athleticism, I need some. Or once a week if intensity is over the top. And then a run or 2, one or 2 days off a week

decided to go to the weightlifting classes+mobility sessions, looks great! Funny to be a beginner once again. Hard part is to reprogram each and every thing I was doing wrong. Squats are fine, but deadlift and shoulders… need work, even if I hit PRs a lot lately. Unsurprisingly.

Humbling, funny, challenging.

So I did go to that box for one month.

Turns out that coaching for weightlifting and mobility were super useful and the value of it will be way more than the $310 spent for one month of membership.
I have a decent snatch (60kilos yesterday weee) and jerk technique now, not good at cleans at all but I’ll keep weights low and work on that anyway. Olympic weightlifting is awesome.

On the other hand, the WODs did disappoint me. Only went to a few of them but that’s not my thing.

In the future I’ll look for an open gym crossfit, or a gym with weightlifting options (I know there are a couple in NYC).

All in all a great experience