Oops! Maybe No Dark Energy/Matter After All

If they can’t solve “where does the light go when you close the refrigerator door” mystery, lots of fuckin’ luck getting a handle on anything in the cosmos that happened 1.6 zillion years ago. We don’t know .000001% about anything.

BG

and how does teflon stick to the pan, if nothing sticks to teflon?

Why do round pizzas come in a square box?

Why doesn’t super glue, which sticks to everything, not stick to the inside of the glue bottle?

How can there be interstate highways in Hawaii?

Why are there only flotation cushions under your seat on the plane and not a parachute?

Why are there Braille letters on the drive-up ATM?

Why is it called a television set, when you only get one?

[quote]beachguy498 wrote:
<<< We don’t know .000001% about anything.

BG[/quote]
LOL!!! This should be a T-Shirt. I’ve been sayin this forever. In every field of scientific endeavor. Not to minimize the enormous advancements we’ve made, especially in the last 100 years, but compared to what’s left, even with something like medicine? Really.

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:

Why doesn’t super glue, which sticks to everything, not stick to the inside of the glue bottle?

Why are there only flotation cushions under your seat on the plane and not a parachute?

[/quote]

I am glad I do not have a lot of time on my hands, or I would ponder these for hours. Maybe I can get a research grant from the government to work on these.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:

[/quote]

I am glad I do not have a lot of time on my hands, or I would ponder these for hours. Maybe I can get a research grant from the government to work on these.[/quote]

I have not been able to figure out why:

its a pair of underwear, but only one bra.

The problem with dark matter is that it is “something” that cannot be measured anyway. It was intuited into existence and I feel that experimentation will have to ultimately have the last word. Who knows?

I’m no cosmologist.

[quote]JoabSonOfZeruiah wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]JoabSonOfZeruiah wrote:
I created a similar thread quite a while ago about this subject and thought it might help out your thread irish Forums - T Nation - The World's Trusted Community for Elite Fitness
[/quote]

Would it cause you any problems if it did exist? The theories have validity and there is an empirical observable component. Now it may just be a misunderstand of what is going on, but then again, it may in fact be understood and real.[/quote]
To your first question certainly not.
I hold that dark matter (I am not very knowledgeable about dark energy) doesn’t exist due to it having properties that will not allow us to detect it(I am somewhat okay with the properties). And invoking its existence to explain away the gravitational rotation or spinning of galaxies especially when what one sees in the gravitational rotation of galaxies indicates that there should be ten times the mass of what we know exist in the galaxy(dust, stars, black holes) and that 90% of the missing mass comes from the dark matter. Certainly something strange is happening in the universe and our premises about gravity may be wrong(which is the view I hold), but I am certainly open to the existence of dark matter.[/quote]

I would not call it an ad hoc theory. There is evidence for dark matter, but how prevalent it is in the universe is definitely a question.

[quote]Sharp4850 wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:
It’s only a theory.[/quote]
Please don’t throw this expression around so lightly.[/quote]

I didn’t.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:

[/quote]

I am glad I do not have a lot of time on my hands, or I would ponder these for hours. Maybe I can get a research grant from the government to work on these.[/quote]

Why do we drive on a parkway and park in a drive way?

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:

[/quote]

Why do we drive on a parkway and park in a drive way?[/quote]
lol

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
The problem with dark matter is that it is “something” that cannot be measured anyway. It was intuited into existence and I feel that experimentation will have to ultimately have the last word. Who knows?

I’m no cosmologist.[/quote]
It is measured, the assumption that galaxies contain more mass than is apparent is a measurement. That this invisible shit claimed to have a mass property and therefore has â??weightâ?? . The mass measurement is a measurement, but is it â??dark matterâ?? that they are measuring? Hmmmm, It should be interesting to see.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

BG[/quote]
LOL!!! This should be a T-Shirt. I’ve been sayin this forever. In every field of scientific endeavor. Not to minimize the enormous advancements we’ve made, especially in the last 100 years, but compared to what’s left, even with something like medicine? Really.[/quote]

And yet what science does know has generally improved the quality of your life immeasurably.

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]Sharp4850 wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:
It’s only a theory.[/quote]
Please don’t throw this expression around so lightly.[/quote]

I didn’t.[/quote]

“Only a theory” is throwing it around lightly. You still don’t seem to understand what a theory is in the context of science.

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

BG[/quote]
LOL!!! This should be a T-Shirt. I’ve been sayin this forever. In every field of scientific endeavor. Not to minimize the enormous advancements we’ve made, especially in the last 100 years, but compared to what’s left, even with something like medicine? Really.[/quote]

And yet what science does know has generally improved the quality of your life immeasurably.[/quote]
No doubt it. I love the sciences. I get hung up for hours sometimes reading different areas of engineering, genetics, astronomy etc. And definitely computers technology. Scientific history too. It’ll be 2 in the morning and I’ve been reading about MIDI for 3 hours.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

BG[/quote]

And yet what science does know has generally improved the quality of your life immeasurably.[/quote]
No doubt it. I love the sciences. I get hung up for hours sometimes reading different areas of engineering, genetics, astronomy etc. And definitely computers technology. Scientific history too. It’ll be 2 in the morning and I’ve been reading about MIDI for 3 hours.[/quote]

LOL - man, I am so glad some one else admitted to that first! Found myself last nite struggling through a monograph on the PLAN’s naval modernization via IT development in C4ISR technology at 3 in the morning . . .

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:
I thought dark matter just existed to explain the stuff physicists could not explain. Should there be surprise when the stuff that physicists could not explain might be something different than the assumptions and characteristic assigned to the stuff that they could not explain in the first place? What I got from this is there is reason to continue doing research.

It is funny, those outside of science often think science has all the answers, everything is named and explained. While those in science see more questions than answers - except, of course, when applying for funding or publishing articles.[/quote]

No, this is actually an observable phenomenon. In the form of what they call ‘Null Theory’ which basically states that within a space, where no matter is present, something does in fact remain or is present, in the absence of physical matter. There super mega tiny little particles of varying polarity that “pop in and out” of existence. The dark energy is the result of the actions of these particles…
It is observable that if you devoid a given space of all matter, this is what’s left. It is therefore assumed that the same phenomenon exists where ever there is nothing, or more accurately, a lack of matter.

The problem with this experiment is it’s just one measure. The one thing that everyone is certain about quantum mechanics is that nobody really understands it. So it’s possible that measurement shows the “dark energy” is not prevalent, and yet it still be prevalent. [/quote]

I also thought the same as Tex Ag, but not in the sense that scientists were just making shit up. From what I understand of this stuff, and I certainly love this stuff, gravity has been shown to be a very weak force and gravity alone cannot explain everything that goes on in the universe. Dark matter/dark energy was used to fill in the gaps in Newtonian physics.

And then there’s string theory…

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:

I have not been able to figure out why:

its a pair of underwear, but only one bra.[/quote]

Dude, you just blew my mind with the underwear-bra thing.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:
I thought dark matter just existed to explain the stuff physicists could not explain. Should there be surprise when the stuff that physicists could not explain might be something different than the assumptions and characteristic assigned to the stuff that they could not explain in the first place? What I got from this is there is reason to continue doing research.

It is funny, those outside of science often think science has all the answers, everything is named and explained. While those in science see more questions than answers - except, of course, when applying for funding or publishing articles.[/quote]

No, this is actually an observable phenomenon. In the form of what they call ‘Null Theory’ which basically states that within a space, where no matter is present, something does in fact remain or is present, in the absence of physical matter. There super mega tiny little particles of varying polarity that “pop in and out” of existence. The dark energy is the result of the actions of these particles…
It is observable that if you devoid a given space of all matter, this is what’s left. It is therefore assumed that the same phenomenon exists where ever there is nothing, or more accurately, a lack of matter.

The problem with this experiment is it’s just one measure. The one thing that everyone is certain about quantum mechanics is that nobody really understands it. So it’s possible that measurement shows the “dark energy” is not prevalent, and yet it still be prevalent. [/quote]

I also thought the same as Tex Ag, but not in the sense that scientists were just making shit up. From what I understand of this stuff, and I certainly love this stuff, gravity has been shown to be a very weak force and gravity alone cannot explain everything that goes on in the universe. Dark matter/dark energy was used to fill in the gaps in Newtonian physics.

And then there’s string theory…
[/quote]

What is happening is they are measuring a greater mass in the Universe and subsets thereof than there should be according to how much matter we can observe to exist through traditional means. Thus they proposed a “dark matter” to exist. And dark matter is dark in the literal sense, i.e., does not interact with electromagnetic radiation.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

BG[/quote]

No doubt it. I love the sciences. I get hung up for hours sometimes reading different areas of engineering, genetics, astronomy etc. And definitely computers technology. Scientific history too. It’ll be 2 in the morning and I’ve been reading about MIDI for 3 hours.[/quote]

I was thinking more being able to refrigerate a steak, but your examples are cool too.

[quote]Makavali wrote:

I was thinking more being able to refrigerate a steak, but your examples are cool too.[/quote]

something we can agree on, Mak! - it’s awesome being able to freeze, thaw, and nuke steaks (once they’ve been grilled of course!)