T Nation

Ontario Bans Junk Food In Schools

‘Ontario government moves to ban junk foods from elementary schools’

TORONTO (CP) - The Ontario government is banning pop, potato chips and other calorie-laden junk foods from vending machines in elementary schools in a bid to improve the physical fitness of the province’s schoolchildren

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1845&ncid=1845&e=5&u=/cpress/20041020/ca_pr_on_na/ont_junk_food

…Thank You

jaystyles

so instead the kids will overeat pretzels and granola bars … how about teaching them proper nutrition instead?

[quote]jgrn13 wrote:
so instead the kids will overeat pretzels and granola bars … how about teaching them proper nutrition instead?[/quote]

I agree. I remember when I was in high school and already physique/health consious, I told this girl that I want somin’ outta the vending machine but all they have is junk food in there. So this girl told me, just go for the starbursts or skittles, they are low in fat. I was like, cool, I didn’t know that. So every time I wanted a “healthy” snack in school, I’d go get some skittles/'burts. Just like my old “healthy” snack food used to be snack-wells. Wow…how much I have learned! Would be HUGE if we could give the youngsters a good base of nutrition ed.

Banning junk food is so wrong. Next thing they are going to do is ban red meat, because everyone knows it is bad for you, and they’ll only allow kids to eat tofu.

Censorship is always the wrong solution.

They should teach, give proper nutritional knowledge, they are a school! Kids should decide for themselves not to eat crap.

Yeah, but this is the educational system, and the kids are being “educated” to eat junk food.

Companies are using the schools as a tool to market to these kids.

Of course the ultimate solution would be to provide entire mandatory courses on health and nutrition, and to provide a wide variety of healthy foods as well as some “fun” snack foods, and hope that the kids will make informed, healthy decisions.

But that would be difficult and expensive to administer and enforce, and simply swapping in healthy food to replace junk food will probably accomplish more in a far more cost effective manner.

In cases such as this, I’ll accept healthy and slightly imposed upon over unhealthy and free.

It just means that if they want junk food they’ll have to cross the street and go to the corner 711.

They should make nutrition classes a must and mandetory throughout school, have banners and posters promoting healthy food, and make gym a must every year. Unfortunately in highschool, gym isn’t a must every year and I wish it was…

rames, read the book “Fast Food Nation” and maby you’re ideas about this will change. The fast/junk food industries completely exploit the children of our nation. I agree that sensorship and outright banning sometimes aren’t the best option (look at what we’re going through now with the ban on PH’s), but this is different.

Banning junk food is it right or wrong? Do you have rights when your under 18. Yes, but it’s limited. When your older and your an adult. You can eat and dirnk whenever and whatever you want. As long as the parents of that child in that school is okay with the banning of junk food I don’t see anything wrong with it. Now if the parents object to the banning of junk food then I don’t think its right.

But, doesn’t junk food (vending machines) usually help after school programs, and the athletic dept.?

Somehow, I think banning junk food is a bit extreme. Next thing you know various foods will not be allowed to be brought to school either.

Why do people think the answer is to control other people’s behavior? Is it because it costs too much money to pay for the health care costs that come along later on?

Maybe it would be easier to fight the supplement battle if we could show how much money would be saved fighting obesity and associated illnesses if everyone was forced to take prohormones and stay muscular instead of sendentary.

Sigh, but no, they’d simply strap up to exercise equipment and force us to work out instead. It’s for your own good, give me another 50 pushups slacker. C’mon, its recess, we have time to sneak in a quick Tabata workout right before our tofu snack.

Rant rant rant. The government needs to back the fuck off and let me make my own choices.

i don’t think it’s a simple topic of banning junk foods in school.
some people say using education to teach the kids how to eat healthy, but the fact is there are different nutritional opinion out there, make people confuse, which type of eating style should people follow? high protein? high carb? or even high fat? atkins diet? zone diet? or the “massive eating” (in this web)?
if there is a clear picture which diet style people should choose, then it’s easier for them to do it.

and what about politics? the food industry is huge in US, if they broken down, where is the workers go? there will be huge unemployment happen, will the government let it happen?

and most of the time people talk to me say “my doctor say keep the protein low, follow the “food pyramid”, not the high-protein diet.” that shows some of the doctors nowadays still believe the “food pyramid” is the truth. but the reality is it have problem.

Junk food in moderation has many benefits, including surplus tyrosine for that hyperactive jitter. Actually that’s all I can think of, but still.

Don’t educate the kids - educate that tub of lard you call their parents. Either that, or introduce double healthcare taxes on anyone over 20% body fat. Mmmm, money. The movivator of all :slight_smile:

[quote]Soldierslim wrote:
rames, read the book “Fast Food Nation” and maby you’re ideas about this will change. The fast/junk food industries completely exploit the children of our nation. I agree that sensorship and outright banning sometimes aren’t the best option (look at what we’re going through now with the ban on PH’s), but this is different.[/quote]

I still don’t think that banning fast food is the solution, because I can’t imagine a kid eating crap if his parents educate him on the subject. In other words, fast food industry might be bad, but irresponsible parents are worst… and banning fast food opens the door to ban things that T-men know are healthy but the rest of the world thinks is bad.

We’re just talking about banning junk food within schools here. Not banning junk food from the face of the earth.

As I said, the kids can cross the street and go to 711 if they want junk.

However, when they need to grab something quick on a hungry impulse at school, they’ll grab something healthy. This might actually make them stop and think. “Huh, an apple. I should eat these more often. What’s that the say about an apple a day?”

Junk food is not only unhealthy but it is addictive. Taking it out of schools is not a ridiculous attack on the kids’ human rights and liberties. They can still eat it at home if they choose. The school is sending a good message.

People here will argue that some form of PE should be mandatory, so why not argue that selling those same kids chocolate bars right outside the gymnasium sends an inappropriate message.

Plus, this is happening in Canada where we have universal health care. Let’s not argue about the quality of that service, but instead face the fact that an ounce of prevention to keep the population healthy is a good thing - like not selling cigarettes to kids, seat belt laws, helmet laws, and so on.

[quote]Monster Wong wrote:
and what about politics? the food industry is huge in US, if they broken down, where is the workers go? there will be huge unemployment happen, will the government let it happen?
[/quote]

Yes, I agree. the biggest problem is companies like coke and pepsi basically own the schools. My university is given millions by Pepsi so they can hold a monopoly on the vending machines. And this is the case all over Canada and im sure the USA as well.

Kids will be fat if they want to. Kids will lose the weight when they feel embarrased to be fat. It doesnt matter what teachers preach in high school. All I cared about in high school was lunch time where I could eat french fries and drink coke. Is sex ed deterring people from having sex without a form of birth control?

I think nutrition class in high school would just give kids another reason for skip class and hang out at 7/11.

another idea is even some of the kids alert that if they eat crap, they’ll become fat, how about their friends? how many of their friends share the same idea? just like bodybuilding, in Hong Kong, they want to be “thin”, but not “big & ripped”.i’m not very big, just 200lbs and around 18%fat, they call me a monster. we can’t change the situation if there is only a few people learn to eat healthy.
let’s say if you’re the only one who eat friuts, veg., chicken breast; and all your friends eatting craps, what do you think about the peer pressure will be placed on you?

peer pressure is reality of life, not a justification of doing something you know you shouldnt be doing.

Its the strong willed people that dont give a shit about what others try to force on them.

People make fun of me all the time for drinking a protein shake instead of eating crap. I say its just because theyre ignorant.

Well it appears that BC is next up. As everyone knows we just copy what Ontario does :slight_smile:

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=83083bfc-16b0-4e95-9118-dab50e937e5f

Totally missed John K’s post…oh well read the story anyways!