T Nation

Only Two Aesthetic Goals: Traps and Arms

Given the above goals, can someone please give feedback on the below template?

Day 1
Squat, 5s Pro
Bench press, 5x5 @ 75%
Pull-ups
Shrugs
Curls

Day 2
Deadlift, 5s Pro
Press, 5s Pro
DB rows
Pushdowns

Day 3
Bench press, 5s Pro
Squat, 5x5 @ 75%
Chin-ups
Shrugs
Curls

How will squats give you better traps or arms?

:smiley: had to

It depends how advanced you are as a lifter. It looks fine as a basic template, but besides the shrugs doesn’t really suggest a trap/arms focus. And personally I don’t like shrugs much – better to power clean and/or high pull. Also farmer’s walks.

Have you read this:

[quote]craze9 wrote:
It depends how advanced you are as a lifter. It looks fine as a basic template, but besides the shrugs doesn’t really suggest a trap/arms focus. And personally I don’t like shrugs much – better to power clean and/or high pull. Also farmer’s walks.

Have you read this:

[/quote]

This. High pulls and farmer walks have done way more for my upper back development than shrugs ever did. Plus, you get some conditioning work from both of those.

[quote]oguruma wrote:
Given the above goals, can someone please give feedback on the below template?[/quote]
That might work as a general training plan, but I totally do not see it focusing on traps and arms.

As was said, cleans and pulls are killer for the traps and whole shoulder/upper back area. Also, you’re only doing one triceps exercise once a week and one biceps exercise twice a week. That’s minimal work, not a plan for someone trying to prioritize arm growth.

Also, for context, what’s your current height, weight, and general fat level? And what are your maxes on the squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press, pull-up, and row?