Only The Big 3 Lifts for a Month?

A guy I know told me I should only focus on the big 3 lifts (bench, squats, deadlifts) for a month. Is this a good idea? If so how should I split it up?

Don’t just take random advice from someone simply because they are a guy you know. What is this guy’s credentials in getting people big and strong? If you trust him, follow his advice. If not, don’t.

7 Likes

What @T3hPwnisher said and there is literally nothing we can do to help you cause you’re giving us nothing to work with.

Why are you told to focus on the big 3 lifts?
What is your training history(including training stats)?
What is the goal of your training?

1 Like

Well I’m guessing I would focus on them to build a decent foundation with compound lifts before moving on to any isolation exercises.
I’ve been working out on and off for about 3 years but only about 8 months with any sort of regular schedule.
Goal of my training is to stop being a fat p.o.s and get strong as fuck lol

You will find very few strong people train or advocate training in the manner you describe.

Jim Wendler squatted 1000lbs and built 5/3/1. That would be a great place to start. Same with the Cube method, Juggernaut Method and Westside Barbell for Skinny Bastards.

3 Likes

Ok I’ll look into those, it’s just the more I try to look up and read the more confused and mixed up I get lol

This is why I bring up credentials. All 4 of those programs were written by people with credentials. Limit your reading in thay way and you will be less confused.

1 Like

Lately I’ve been just trying to get as much help as possible. I’m kinda dead in the water right now

Don’t. The majority of people have no idea how to succeed. Listening to as many sources as possible will put you among their ranks. Go for quality over quantity.

6 Likes

Exactly what @T3hPwnisher said man. Just look up one of the programs mentioned earlier and follow it to a t. In all honesty, if you are overweight, starting heavy hard training will probably benefit you more than just cardio and the big three. Just eat from good sources, stay in shape by walking, and follow a good, well structured strength program like 531, cube, juggernaut or any other proven system and profit. Also, tnation has a great fommunity, so feel free to ask anything throughout your journey.

You said the exact same thing about your diet (which sucks and needs more attention than your training). I suggest simplifying everything, choosing one pre-designed plan (pretty much any workout or diet here) and following it to the letter without asking for more input about what to do.

[quote]A guy I know told me I should only focus on the big 3 lifts (bench, squats, deadlifts) for a month. Is this a good idea?
[…]
Goal of my training is to stop being a fat p.o.s and get strong as fuck[/quote]
Doing only the big three lifts for a month won’t help you drop fat and won’t get you strong as fuck. Don’t go to that guy for advice anymore.

3 Likes

@Chris_Colucci I know my diet isn’t optimal, I’m trying to figure out all this stuff when every different site throws out different percentages. If you could point me in the direction of a diet that utilizes seafood and plant based proteins I would appreciate it.

[quote=“kyleky1991, post:12, topic:226744”]
If you could point me in the direction of a diet that utilizes seafood and plant based proteins I would appreciate it.[/quote]
Pretty much any approach can be adapted to those food restrictions. Carb cycling, 100 Gram Carb Cure, whatever.

Having to focus on, or avoid, specific food groups isn’t really an issue because the majority of effective diets will tell you principles to implement, not laying out strict meal-to-meal menus. Some personal effort and individualization is always required. Whether you have tuna or chicken breast for lunch is hardly a deal-breaker.

As a heads up though, one of the biggest hurdles I see with lifters trying to use plant-based proteins is keeping a handle on carb intake. So I’d suggest carb cycling and/or a fairly high training volume that makes you “earn” the carbs.

1 Like

What are your current maxes or at least 3RM?

@Chris_Colucci I try to keep my as limited as possible, although i usually only limit the ones from bread, pasta and starches. I keep my sugars to the bare minimum as well, the sugar I get comes primarily from fruit and I only eat it in the morning or after the gym.

@oldbeancam I’m actually not sure. I work out alone so I’m forced to use alternative equipment, so I don’t know if it counts.

You should do the classic 5x5, 3x5 in the assistance lift and 3-4x8 for the isolation !

IG : Deadlift 5x5 barbell row 3x5 and chin up 4x8 or max

but for good recovery and if u want to train 6x a week ( 2xtimes each lift )

only do deadlift 5x5, squat 5x5, bench 5x5 off deadlift 3x5, squat 3x5 and bench 3x5 off repeat

with maybe 4 to 6 mins between each sets ! you will see the strenght gain is crazy, its the good old method.

1 Like

5x3 sorry and not 3x5 *