Only Land Owners Can Vote

[quote]tedro wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
Originally, individual states had the right to establish who and who could not vote. Ownership of land was, in fact, a common criterion for voter qualification as it was an accepted norm at the time. I don’t know the case law that prohibits that now.

I’m pretty sure it stems from the 24th ammendment.

The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

A better idea would be to just end welfare, but a pure democracy is not going to allow for that.[/quote]

Yes, this would be the better idea, but the national guard would be busy for a year

[quote]orion wrote:
Cockney Blue wrote:
How about only white men with more than a certain amount of money in their bank account?

Do you doubt that this would lead to a better system than the one today?

Dont know why you would exclude people p�?�´ff color, but why should people who cannot even hold on to a little bit of their own money for bad times vote on other peoples money?
[/quote]

When I lived in London I didn’t own property (because London property prices were ridiculous) at the time I was earning very good money and paying more than 40% in taxes, why should I have been denied the right to vote?

Equally, why should someone who is studying to get themselves out of their situation be exempt from voting?

Or someone who happened to be born into a poor family and hasn’t yet got out of the situation.

Whilst I am terrified of the fact that a large chunk of the people that get a vote are dumb as fuck you either give everyone the vote or you don’t even bother at the pretense of a democracy.

[quote]Cockney Blue wrote:
orion wrote:
Cockney Blue wrote:
How about only white men with more than a certain amount of money in their bank account?

Do you doubt that this would lead to a better system than the one today?

Dont know why you would exclude people p�??�?�´ff color, but why should people who cannot even hold on to a little bit of their own money for bad times vote on other peoples money?

When I lived in London I didn’t own property (because London property prices were ridiculous) at the time I was earning very good money and paying more than 40% in taxes, why should I have been denied the right to vote?

Equally, why should someone who is studying to get themselves out of their situation be exempt from voting?

Or someone who happened to be born into a poor family and hasn’t yet got out of the situation.

Whilst I am terrified of the fact that a large chunk of the people that get a vote are dumb as fuck you either give everyone the vote or you don’t even bother at the pretense of a democracy.[/quote]

Well I do not care so much for democracies.

Lets call it a Meritocracy and that the right to vote has to be earned.

That would hardly be the first time that that idea is combined with a democratic element and it would keep said element in check.

Easy problem , get around , Create property the size of a quarter and sell it for so.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
How about only those who pay taxes?
[/quote]

Didn’t you guys fight a war over something like this, once?

Although “no taxation without representation” seems a good credo, its counterpart “no representation without taxation” has much to commend it, too.

[quote]tedro wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
Originally, individual states had the right to establish who and who could not vote. Ownership of land was, in fact, a common criterion for voter qualification as it was an accepted norm at the time. I don’t know the case law that prohibits that now.

I’m pretty sure it stems from the 24th ammendment.

The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

A better idea would be to just end welfare, but a pure democracy is not going to allow for that.[/quote]

Actually, the requirement was ended quite a bit before the 24th Amendment, like about 100 years or so just before the Civil War. I don’t have time to dig up references right this second (kinda vague recollection).

[quote]Ratchet wrote:
Thoughts?[/quote]

Sounds good. In keeping with the ‘free ride’ as part of the deal, I’ll assume your constituency of landowners are comfortable footing the bill for all its government-related expenses, because I sure as hell won’t be sending 35-40% of my income to your government via taxes. In fact, since I’m not considered a contributing member of society unless I’m a landowner, I may just quit my job.

In reality, the rent on my apartment is likely more than your monthly mortgage payment, and the apartment complexes in more affluent districts of every major city contain many of society’s most productive citizens.

No more welfare? We would welcome that in Cali.

Right.

Well as long as those of us who don’t pay property taxes can’t be affected by any law that your elected government makes, then I’m all for it.

And I don’t want to pay sales tax either, or give any income tax. Basically I’ll be my own little island.

And your government can’t draft me, either, because I don’t get to pick what asshat sends us to war.

Yea. I’m OK with this. You guys have fun. I’ll be living Orion’s dream.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Basically I’ll be my own little island.
[/quote]

Do you know how often I wish the US would give New Jersey back to England? :wink:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

Do you know how often I wish the US would give New Jersey back to England? ;)[/quote]

Do you know how often I wish we’d secede? It’s about once every two and a half days at this point.

Well the OP prolly won’t be able to vote, and I won’t either…think about it. The bank owns your property.
I’m sure if such a system like the arose again, it’d be geared towards those who had their shit truly paid off.

[quote]Ratchet wrote:
What do you think? is it time to take this country out of the hands of those that are just here for a free ride? how do you do that you say? make is so only people who own land can vote (a mortage would count) but renting an apartment or what not would not…

Thoughts?[/quote]

Property owner, military veteran, or renter age > 29.

Three generations (and able to prove it) in the country to run for a federal office.

Most of our troubles would never have happened.

SteelyD wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

Do you know how often I wish the US would give New Jersey back to England? :wink:

Do you know how often I wish we’d secede? It’s about once every two and a half days at this point.[/quote]

In Pa., we’ll give you Philly and Rendell before we leave.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

Do you know how often I wish the US would give New Jersey back to England? ;)[/quote]

About as often as we fail to think of the granola eating hippies far North?

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

About as often as we fail to think of the granola eating hippies far North?

[/quote]

Excellent. I grew up in Jersey. Where ya from in “The Garden State”?

I’ll be living Orion’s dream.
[/quote]

You should be so lucky.

[quote]3IdSpetsnaz wrote:
Well the OP prolly won’t be able to vote, and I won’t either…think about it. The bank owns your property.
I’m sure if such a system like the arose again, it’d be geared towards those who had their shit truly paid off.[/quote]

actually, I straight own land in wisconsin… been in the family for 4 generations…

I do like the idea of if you recieve government money then you cant vote though… that would certainly end a lot of the hand outs…

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
I’ll be living Orion’s dream.

You should be so lucky.[/quote]

No way that he could handle the harem and the constant pressure to perform.