Only a Few Last Sets to Failure?

for example i do 4 sets 6-10 reps with the same weight

i do db incline press:

1st set: 10 reps (probably could have done 2-3 more)
2nd set: 10 reps (struggling with this one but probably could have done 1-2 reps more)
3rd set: 9 reps (really hard set, struggling for a couple of seconds with 9th rep but barely completed it by myself)
4th set: 9 reps (very hard set, done 7 reps by myself, used little partner ssistance for last 2 reps)

next workout if i hit 10,10,10,10 reps each set, ill add weight next time

do you think it is good method?

upppp

you added reps at the same weight, you then plan on adding weight after achieving these reps, and repeating the process. Sounds like progression to me.

Forced reps really tax the CNS a lot, gotta be careful with recovery.

I don’t go to failure some workouts, others I take my last set to failure. One thing I do know is that training close to your max and taking a lot of sets to failure is a good way to over train or plateau.

You know your method is effective when you are adding reps or weight to the bar each month. If you are stagnating or losing strength, you’re probably overdoing it.

Lookin’ good, brah.

Thick. Solid. Tight.

Any changes since your last update in the arms thread, or just more of the same grind?

[quote]anonym wrote:

Lookin’ good, brah.

Thick. Solid. Tight.

Any changes since your last update in the arms thread, or just more of the same grind?[/quote]

Yeah Ive been more or less focused on solely powerlifting since mid January. I feel like the training is getting me thicker than I was doing my other rountine. I’ve been hovering around the same bodyweight, but have been doing a lot of cardio in the forms of MMA and basketball 3-4 days per week so I feel I am in a state of adding mass and leaning up. Kinda cool.

Thanks for the compliments.

x2 on what Austin said.

Going to failure will tax your CNS a good deal and going beyond will not only tax it, but also put a good deal of stress on your joints. I would recommend programming in going to failure and forced reps with a cyclical approach (not to sound too sophisticated, most do it instinctively lol). What I mean is that you should have periods in your training where you go to absolute failure and beyond, and periods where you leave a rep or 2 in the tank for next time.

Cycle intensity along with volume and exercises and you will probably see a difference in your training effectiveness.

but this approach would be like cycling intensity on its own

for example it would look like this:

1st workout: 225x10 reps (FAILURE), 225x9 reps (F), 225x8 reps (F), 225x6+2 forced reps (F)
2nd workout: 225x10 reps (3 reps shy of F), 225x10 (2 reps shy of F), 225x10 (1 reps shy of F), 225x8+2 forced reps (F)
adding weight next week
3rd workout: 230x9 reps (F), 230x8 reps (F), 230x7 reps (F), 230x6+2 forced reps (F)

so you see how it looks. there is some kind of failure/no failure cycle

when i mean failure it is CONCENTRIC FAILURE

and my whole routine looks like this (rather conservative volume, yeah?)

MONDAY:
Squats 5x5-10
Leg Extensions: 3x15
Stiff leg Deads 4x10

TUESDAY:
Incline DB Press 4x6-10
Weighted Dips 4x6-10
Cambered bar Skullcrushers 4x6-10

THURSDAY:
Weighted Chins 3x4-6
BB Rows 3x6-8
Deadlifts 3x8-10
BB Curl 4x8-12

FRIDAY:
Seated BB Press 3x6
Seated DB Press 2x8-10
Seated Calf Raise 2x15 (or just 4 sets standing and no seated)
Standing Calf Raise 2x10

abs cable crunches+hanging leg raises 3 suepersets 1-2x aweek