T Nation

Online IQ Test

I just took an online IQ test and it came in at 120.

Is this good or bad? I don’t know. If someone can tell me, I would greatly appreciate it.
I hope it doesn’t mean that I’m dumb as a bucket of mule piss!

I wouldn’t worry too much. Looks like you are just fine.

Either way, VERY intelligent people score disappointingly on IQ tests. Especially if it was that 10-20 question test people send to each other via email that then directs you to another site where you pay a fee to take a “real” IQ test

It’s usually claimed that the average (mean) IQ score is 100 with a standard deviation of 15. A score of 120 therefore would put you in the top 5% or so of the population, in other words it’s a very high score indeed.
Before getting too excited, however, keep in mind that IQ scores are valid only if the tests are administered under controlled conditions - which definitely excludes online tests.

As a Psychology Major, I will do my best to tell you that you are above average in intellingence, good job. I do believe that 116 is something like the upper 76% of the populus in intelligence.
Being above 132 is in the upper 5%. But I must add that not all IQ tests are equal, you may want to get at least a few estimates and then average them out to see “exactly” where you fit in.
But 120 is quite respectable.
Get back at me when you take a couple more tests and we can discuss a few more variable that are involved in these tests.
Take care,
Jay-B

It depends on several factors, but 120 isn’t bad (Bush’s is reportedly 124, Kerry 120, and Gore 134). Most I.Q. tests are normalized to the population with a 15 point deviation. So, 115 makes you better than 68% of the test-taking population, 130 is better than 95%. At 120, you can probably calculate your exact percentile. If you’re really interested, you might take 1 or 2 more tests just to get a better idea of the real number. I’ve found the tests can vary by up to 10 points.

120? Geez, I’m surprised you’re able to dress yourself in the morning. Remember it’s underwear first, then pants, then socks, then shoes. You don’t want to mess that up!

Okay, I’m just messing with ya, hehe. 120’s not bad at all, but like they said online tests are kind of iffy. So don’t worry about it.

I took the emode one and got what I thought was a pretty good score. I then looked in the personal section and saw some girl who’s quote was “I like fake boobies” and had an I.Q. test score in the same general range as mine.

Lovely

In addition to the issues specific to online IQ tests, there’s some serious debate as to whether the tests measure anything other than the ability to do well on IQ tests.

If someone knows, are there different IQ test scales? I thought that over 150 was genius, but that could just be the upper echelon of the same scale you guys are talking about. Some people tried to tell me that 130 was genius, but they might just be over-extending that top 5% category.

I think IQ test are fun!! On what site did you find it?

Can hardly wait :wink:

Heh, okay, but I have to poke fun, if you don’t know what the hell a 120 means on the IQ test you can’t be all that smart… :wink:

No offense, but you guys don’t know what you’re talking about. An average IQ can’t be 100! I have consistently scored between 70 and 80 on different IQ tests and have been considered “special” my entire life. Also, everyone tells me that people who say the average IQ is 100 are just jealous because they are not special.
Think about THAT!

Cheers

i just got a score of 145. hahahaha

Have fun!

[quote]veruvius wrote:
If someone knows, are there different IQ test scales? I thought that over 150 was genius, but that could just be the upper echelon of the same scale you guys are talking about. Some people tried to tell me that 130 was genius, but they might just be over-extending that top 5% category.[/quote]

I believe 140+ = genius.
I just miss out…sigh…

The website ‘Tickle’ has a fairly accurate test. It’s fun too.

There is a lot of debate about IQ tests. The only relevant thing for me is, that I just edge my gf on every test we take! Whew.

Holy shit that girl on the left is so fucking hot.

What was the question again? 120? Hell yes, on a scale of 1-100 she’s at least a 120. Maybe even 125. Show me another pic.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
No offense, but you guys don’t know what you’re talking about. An average IQ can’t be 100! I have consistently scored between 70 and 80 on different IQ tests and have been considered “special” my entire life. Also, everyone tells me that people who say the average IQ is 100 are just jealous because they are not special.
Think about THAT!

Cheers[/quote]

HA!

Ok, now THAT was funny.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Think about THAT!

Cheers[/quote]

LMAO!!!

[quote]veruvius wrote:
If someone knows, are there different IQ test scales?[/quote]

Yes. Right offhand, there’s the Wechsler battery and the Stanford-Binet, but I haven’t paid any attention to this subject in well over a decade – so I think it’s safe to assume that there are now other scales, as well. Both the Wechsler and the Stanford-Binet consider 100 average, 120 exceptional, and 140 genius. (This is from memory, so any corrections are welcome.) The major difference is in how the scale treats a given performance in terms of being average or otherwise; while answering more questions faster is clearly a higher IQ on any such test, there are innumerable ways to say that answering a number of questions Q over a period of time T gives a score of X.

IQ testing has also come under a lot of fire because it doesn’t really seem to be an accurate indicator of intelligence; it’s distinctly skewed in favor of people with good verbal and spatial skills who can answer arbitrary theoretical questions rapidly. This may make someone look smart, but it’s not a good measure of how they’ll perform in any real-world capacity.

For example, I can accept that when I am presented with a puzzle I can correctly assemble in a few seconds, this gives me a higher score on the test. Unfortunately, this does not seem even remotely relevant to anything real people might need to do in their day to day lives. It doesn’t solve any useful problem. So I’ll take the high score, but I really don’t think it makes me particularly smart or in any way “better” than someone else.

bigflamer: that seems to be a pretty good IQ test; it doesn’t appear to inflate your mark like many online IQ tests do.

I scored 139 because I didn’t have the patience to work out the “which shape can’t be created from this net” puzzles.