T Nation

Online College Courses

Who here has taken them and what do you think of them? I hate school to be honest, its just not for me but i need it so i thought i found a loop whole when i heard about online classes.

I’ve taken one online. I didn’t like it, very hard to stay motivated, and you actually almost feel lonely not having someone to complain about the tests with.

Professors are also generally able to make material a little more interesting that the textbook.

[quote]utHAUS wrote:
I’ve taken one online. I didn’t like it, very hard to stay motivated, and you actually almost feel lonely not having someone to complain about the tests with.

Professors are also generally able to make material a little more interesting that the textbook.[/quote]

haha i understand, but wouldnt it depend on the class, also was there really a shit load of work? like alot more than a regular class

I’m taking an intro to human nutrition class online. I guess it feels like a normal class with online assignments/discussions. The only thing different is that the prof can’t monitor tests and quizzes.

I took “English 1B” over the summer when I was still in school. I have to say it was very easy… As for workload, I thought it was less than normal English classes.

Yes, it depends on which class it is. Lets say if your thinking of taking an advanced calc class online, and you suck at math… Stick with going to class. In this situation, online class would suck for this specific category. Because for me, I suck at math, and I would not learn at all from the online class.

If you can take a lot of GE classes online, you can probably pass with bare minimum effort, and probably wont retain most information learned when the online course is over. However, if you really want to learn, just go to class.

[quote]utHAUS wrote:

Professors are also generally able to make material a little more interesting that the textbook.[/quote]

Agreed on all counts, good post.

If you’re one of those who prefers the added external discipline and the social aspect of classes in general, then online courses are decidedly inferior.

[quote]aznt0rk wrote:
Yes, it depends on which class it is. Lets say if your thinking of taking an advanced calc class online, and you suck at math… Stick with going to class. In this situation, online class would suck for this specific category. Because for me, I suck at math, and I would not learn at all from the online class.
[/quote]

Spot on.

It depends on the class and it depends on your strengths and motivation. I took several general ed classes online and most were a breeze. However, I tried to take a physics class online and it ended up being the only class I ever dropped because I was struggling to learn the material.

Online courses are convenient when you need to get some credits in or cover boring requirement courses, that you’ll otherwise have to sleep in the classroom for a few hours each week. Also, if you have busy schedule, or like me live an hour away from your college, they can really help take more credits and yet not waste 20 hrs a week traveling.

But if you’re planning to take something that you’re really interested in online, I recommend not to do it.

You know your own academic capabilities, right?
If you feel like you get nothing out of a 4 hour lecture, but you learn lots alone in 1 hour, then take online classes.

I’m taking the last accounting class I’ll ever need (online) right now, and I love it. I can read the chapters in the middle of the night, while completing the assignments.

I took an online accounting class from a community college. It was pretty easy since I’d taken other accounting classes and have a Master’s in Business Admin.

We had to go to campus to take the tests. I ended up doing absolutely nothing for the class for 4 weeks and then sitting in the library from 8 in the morning until 7 at night on the day of the tests. I did this 3 times for the 3 tests. So I guess I spent as much time at campus as I would have if I’d taken the class offline.

Sure was a lot more fun not having to sit through accounting lectures though.