Online Coaching Prices?

What’s a typical price for online coaching? I see many big name powerlifters offering coaching, how much are they or their trainers charging?

Why don’t you just send the one’s you’re interested in an email?

A 12 week block for personalised programming and feedback can be $600+ from the more popular coaches.

I pay 100 for nutrition, 50 for my bodybuilding training per month.

I write my own powerlifting programs and I write them for my team but bodybuilding is new to me so I pay.

Haha, I didn’t want to hit them all up directly when I’m not interested in buying at the moment.

$600 is crazy, but that level of coaching would be more likely something I’d be interested in for the future.

“No one can coach you without seeing you lift. They don’t know if you’re an introvert/extrovert… if they take your money, it’s fraud.” Louie Simmons.

You probably don’t need a coach TBH. I’ve read some of your earlier posts and from what you’ve said I would guess you to be somewhere between novice and intermediate. This is the level where you’re going to have to figure some things out for yourself. Find a program and follow it. Keep a journal and figure out what works and what doesn’t. Try things and READ. If you listen to the big names in the industry, they all pretty much advise the same assistance work and variants on the main lifts to bring up the competition lifts. Most use either linear periodization or concurrent. Other than that, your best bet is to figure a lot of this out for yourself. Just my $.02

2 Likes

I think the starting strength coaches are somewhere between the $150-200 per month (I know it is not exactly powerlifting). A guy I know has used them in the past. That is inline with the $600 for 12 weeks price.

In my opinion, that is too much.

Word of mouth is worth a lot here. I received lots of good reviews for the guy I use, and I am not paying anywhere near $200/month. Look for someone who has a good track record of getting results with all their clients.

A coach in the very top of the powerlifting game (Mike T, and a few others) is going to cost more, but being at the very top of the powerlifting game doesn’t necessarily mean they are the best coach (BTW I think Mike T is a good coach, not trying to say otherwise, just an example). Maybe they got there with good genetics, lots of PEDs, etc.

Obviously, the coach needs to have achieved something in powerlifting (don’t hire someone with a 1000 lb total, if you want to total 2000), but they maybe don’t have to be at the very top to give good advice, form checks, and programming.

Haha, good observation. That’s exactly where I see myself right now and that’s what I’m doing off season.

I’m doing my own programming at the moment to see what works for me/what I enjoy, but when I get closer to meet time, I want to get more sport-specific and leave it to the discretion of an experienced/qualified trainer. I have a good training community, so I’ll most likely work with them, but want to plan ahead for a higher level. I have a meet in December where I’m looking to qualify for USPA Nationals and I’m also looking to qualify for USAPL Raw Nationals next April.

Good luck with your goals I hope you accomplish them. Maybe after the meet you could create a thread detailing your experiences and results with online coaching and what you take away from the experience. Good luck

Yeah most definitely! I started a Training Log Topic, but haven’t updated it in a while haha

What are Boris Sheiko’s best lifts?

I’d also be interested in knowing Boris Sheiko’s rates for online coaching :lol:

I personally wouldn’t be interested in hiring somebody who’s only “achieved something in powerlifting”. Dave Tate recently had an interesting series of instagram posts asking what the minimum squat/education/coaching experience a powerlifting coach should have. In all reality, I don’t know how much Boris Sheiko best lifts are, but he’s lifted enough to relate to high level strength athletes and to understand the process that they need.

Like anyone who doesn’t advertise prices, you gotta expect some tyre kickers.

1 Like

I think you are getting at my point. The coach doesn’t have to be a top lifter. Not everyone passionate about powerlifting is going to have awesome genetics and a 2000 lb raw total. However, I think even with bad genetics a male coach should have a decent strength level.

I know a coach that is a pretty small guy (150 lbs after training a couple years), but he still is pretty strong (benches in the low 300s). I would take his advice.

A coach’s personal accomplishments are pretty much irrelevant, there are plenty of strong guys whose training is more or less incoherent and wouldn’t work for the vast majority of people but gets them good results. The thing that matters when choosing a coach is what sort of results you can realistically expect to get by working with them and the only way to know is by looking at other people they have coached. Of course there are not many people who would take advice from some guy who doesn’t lift and has never coached anyone (and rightly so) so it would be difficult for non-lifters to get into coaching. Other than Sheiko, I can’t think of any other coaches who aren’t lifters themselves but he is proof that you don’t actually need to lift to be a good coach.

He used to exclusively coach weightlifters (he still coaches a few) and it’s possible that he may have competed in weightlifting at some point but he has never competed in PL and I have never seen him lift anything more than an empty bar. What he himself can lift is irrelevant because he knows more abut lifting weights than just about anyone and is the most successful PL coach in the history of the sport.

Look it up on his site. I believe it’s $400US/month for personalized coaching, less for a written program with no consultation or feedback. The only coach I know of that charges more is Stan Efferding.

1 Like

Id say average is $100 a month for programming closer to $150 a month for programming and nutrition. I have paid up to $500 a month to work with Stan Efferding which is his listed price on his site. But that diet, supps, “supps”, programming, you name it still extremely expensive. Chris Duffin was around $250 a month I believe and that wasn’t to actually work with Duffin but to work with some on who worked with Duffin ha.

1 Like

Chris Duffins actually in my area (long as hell in rush hour though). The guy who runs my gym used to train at Kabuki and now does his programming through them. I attend local workshops whenever available, and most powerlifters in the area have some lineage to Duffin.