One Workout Per Week?

I have some other things going on right now that I am training for and doing so I can only make it to the gym to lift hard and heavy once a week. I don’t want to lose and possibly gain some strength so what would be the best overall workout to hit up once a week to keep my strength at least the same?

A full-body workout focusing on very basic exercies with heavy weights and lower reps.

Example:

Squats
Bench Press
RDL’s
Rows
Overhead Press
Chins

I have a hard time believing when people use the time excuse. Good luck making progress with that.

you expect to gain strength on 1 day a week?

if you could actually do that for any appreciable length of time, i am taking out a loan, buying a ticket to texas, and kicking your ass because i will be so bloody jealous!

you might be able to sort of keep gains on once workout but doubt you will gain strenth

you might be able to sort of keep gains on once workout but doubt you will gain strenth

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
I have a hard time believing when people use the time excuse. Good luck making progress with that.[/quote]

x2

Lol @ two people double posted identical posts.

Like everyone else said, you can probably use it to maintain your current level of strength and mass for a short period of time but you’re definitely not going to be getting any stronger.

u wont gain any strength…

Thats fine. I’m still working out 3-4 times a week and doing Lacrosse as well. But actually doing heavy gym lifting can only be done once a week.

So think what you want but I’m pretty sure sticking in a purely strength workout once a week while doing everything else will at least maintain my strength if not help add some.

if you really only have one day. I’d at least make it a 2 session AM/PM day.

I am trying to shed fat right now, so I am doing a ton of GPP work as well as barbell complexes most of the week.

My only real strength day is Monday. Like others said I am just trying to maintain strength right now.

My basic template is below:

Week 1
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Row 3x5
Reverse hyper/heavy abs

Week 2
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Deadlift 2x5
Reverse hyper/heavy abs

Week 3
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Row 3x5
Reverse hyper/heavy abs

Week 4 (mini deload)
Deadlift 1x5
Bench 3x5
Leg Press for pump
Reverse Hyper/abs for moderate reps.

Nothing too fancy…I’m just trying to maintain a consistent workload and stay semi familiar with the Big 3. If I were you I would keep it as simple as possible. If you try to do 10 multi joint exercises with haphazard rep ranges just because its the only day you can go “heavy.”

If you keep a clean design approach, you will easily be able to keep track of your workload and strength levels.

[quote]Bloobird wrote:
Lol @ two people double posted identical posts.[/quote]

word!

[quote]JBPrime wrote:
I am trying to shed fat right now, so I am doing a ton of GPP work as well as barbell complexes most of the week.

My only real strength day is Monday. Like others said I am just trying to maintain strength right now.

My basic template is below:

Week 1
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Row 3x5
Reverse hyper/heavy abs

Week 2
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Deadlift 2x5
Reverse hyper/heavy abs

Week 3
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Row 3x5
Reverse hyper/heavy abs

Week 4 (mini deload)
Deadlift 1x5
Bench 3x5
Leg Press for pump
Reverse Hyper/abs for moderate reps.

Nothing too fancy…I’m just trying to maintain a consistent workload and stay semi familiar with the Big 3. If I were you I would keep it as simple as possible. If you try to do 10 multi joint exercises with haphazard rep ranges just because its the only day you can go “heavy.”

If you keep a clean design approach, you will easily be able to keep track of your workload and strength levels. [/quote]

Thanks for this JB. Lacrosse and Crossfit take up the rest of the days of my week, so I’m guessing we are probably doing the same types of workouts the other days. I will give this a shot starting next week and appreciate it.

A really good and hard routine consisting of compound exercises could absolutely give you strength gains. But I would not call it an optimal solution. Provided you train hard enough, and sleep and rest well, you can gain strength from once a week workouts.

Good exercises would be:

Squats
Deads
Chins
Bench
Rows
Millitary press
Dips
Clean and press

Obviously not everything in one workout. Most strength programs consist of more than one workout a week, but saying that you can’t gain strength on one workout a week, simply is not true.

As the others have said it is not an ideal solution. I would not be able to stay away from the gym six days in a row. But all I do is to train weights. If you do marshal arts, or anything else I can understand you.

stallion, how many people have you trained that only workout one day a week and have made substancial progress doing such for any substancial length of time?

Im suprised nobody has posted this yet but:

Use your gym session to focus on max effort/functional hypertrophy work with a full body emphasis.

Use another 1-3 assistance workouts a week made up from bodyweight exercises, things you can find at home… perhaps even GPP work.

Think repetition upper and a repetition lower day perhaps? Or 2 full body repetition days?

Could even mix in some dynamic jump based work at the start of teh sessions. You could do a complete session in 30-60 mins with ease.