T Nation

One Thing that Changed Everything


#1

Sup,

This summer I'll be transitioning from Judo to Muay Thai. Just for the summer, though. I've never really had any moments of clarity other that weight training really is just GPP and that I need to train more.

Anyone here have some moments of clarity they'd like to share?


#2

I’m not sure what you’re asking…

…but Muay Thai kicks ass.


#3

Maybe I explained it poorly. Basically, there is a moment in your life as a fighter, where you came to a realization about something, and that something completely changed the way you fight.

What is that realization?


#4

Yeah, I realised very early on MMA fighters are 99% bitches. Occassionally you get serious bad asses who fight and have all round skills, but the general majority are bitch made fuckers who hate being hit in the face, hate being kicked in the legs and certainly hate being hit in the body by a true stand up guy.

Fuck them and thumbs up to the few that are men.

Oh yeah, most MMA fan boys are also faggot wannabe bitches. Some admittedly and most in denial until someone smacks them in the teeth.


#5

[quote]humble wrote:
Yeah, I realised very early on MMA fighters are 99% bitches. Occassionally you get serious bad asses who fight and have all round skills, but the general majority are bitch made fuckers who hate being hit in the face, hate being kicked in the legs and certainly hate being hit in the body by a true stand up guy.

Fuck them and thumbs up to the few that are men.

Oh yeah, most MMA fan boys are also faggot wannabe bitches. Some admittedly and most in denial until someone smacks them in the teeth.[/quote]

Wow. Someone seems to not be able to get over the fact that grapplers beat strikers 99% of the time…unless that striker learns how to grapple. So someone like Karelin is a bitch because he chose wrestling over boxing?


#6

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]humble wrote:
Yeah, I realised very early on MMA fighters are 99% bitches. Occassionally you get serious bad asses who fight and have all round skills, but the general majority are bitch made fuckers who hate being hit in the face, hate being kicked in the legs and certainly hate being hit in the body by a true stand up guy.

Fuck them and thumbs up to the few that are men.

Oh yeah, most MMA fan boys are also faggot wannabe bitches. Some admittedly and most in denial until someone smacks them in the teeth.[/quote]

Wow. Someone seems to not be able to get over the fact that grapplers beat strikers 99% of the time…unless that striker learns how to grapple. So someone like Karelin is a bitch because he chose wrestling over boxing? [/quote]
MMA fighters usually participate in mixed martial arts competitions where various striking and grappling techniques are allowed. Wrestlers participate in competitions where no striking techniques are allowed, and guys compete against one and other using only the allowed grappling techniques. See the difference?
Karelin never competed in MMA and he was never hit in the face by world class standup fighter in competition, so who knows what would’ve happened. Then again he competed in wrestling so who gives a fuck? MMA fighters on the other hand get hit in the face in competition, and for obvious reasons most aren’t as comfortable taking hits as guys who devote their whole training time to stand up arts.


#7

Cue the “That escalated quickly” gif.


#8

[quote]humble wrote:
Yeah, I realised very early on MMA fighters are 99% bitches. Occassionally you get serious bad asses who fight and have all round skills, but the general majority are bitch made fuckers who hate being hit in the face, hate being kicked in the legs and certainly hate being hit in the body by a true stand up guy.

Fuck them and thumbs up to the few that are men.

Oh yeah, most MMA fan boys are also faggot wannabe bitches. Some admittedly and most in denial until someone smacks them in the teeth.[/quote]

Hah, kickboxing fan-boy :wink:


#9

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]humble wrote:
Yeah, I realised very early on MMA fighters are 99% bitches. Occassionally you get serious bad asses who fight and have all round skills, but the general majority are bitch made fuckers who hate being hit in the face, hate being kicked in the legs and certainly hate being hit in the body by a true stand up guy.

Fuck them and thumbs up to the few that are men.

Oh yeah, most MMA fan boys are also faggot wannabe bitches. Some admittedly and most in denial until someone smacks them in the teeth.[/quote]

Wow. Someone seems to not be able to get over the fact that grapplers beat strikers 99% of the time…unless that striker learns how to grapple. So someone like Karelin is a bitch because he chose wrestling over boxing? [/quote]

No I think you’re missing the point.

I think he’s saying objectively striking sports are harder to tolerate. I’d be biased but its something I’d agree with.

Thats not to say grappling isn’t without its own hardships, but I think overall if you compared the rate and intensity of damage sustained by a boxer or kickboxer compared to a wrestler or BJJ student it would paint a concerning image for the striking sports.


#10

[quote]humble wrote:
Yeah, I realised very early on MMA fighters are 99% bitches. Occassionally you get serious bad asses who fight and have all round skills, but the general majority are bitch made fuckers who hate being hit in the face, hate being kicked in the legs and certainly hate being hit in the body by a true stand up guy.

Fuck them and thumbs up to the few that are men.

Oh yeah, most MMA fan boys are also faggot wannabe bitches. Some admittedly and most in denial until someone smacks them in the teeth.[/quote]

Not sure of your age, but every kid who ever steps foot in a gym says,"I train MMA, or I fight UFC, or embellishes their skills. Most suck at it, haven’t put in their time training, or like the idea rather than the actual process. A boxer can’t fake this. If you train in a boxing gym, not cardio boxing class, and get in and spar you can’t fake it. Karate went throught this in the 70’s and early '80’s with the “my hands are registered with the police” bs.

Probably an element of truth in both sides of this argument.


#11

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]humble wrote:
Yeah, I realised very early on MMA fighters are 99% bitches. Occassionally you get serious bad asses who fight and have all round skills, but the general majority are bitch made fuckers who hate being hit in the face, hate being kicked in the legs and certainly hate being hit in the body by a true stand up guy.

Fuck them and thumbs up to the few that are men.

Oh yeah, most MMA fan boys are also faggot wannabe bitches. Some admittedly and most in denial until someone smacks them in the teeth.[/quote]

Wow. Someone seems to not be able to get over the fact that grapplers beat strikers 99% of the time…unless that striker learns how to grapple. So someone like Karelin is a bitch because he chose wrestling over boxing? [/quote]

No I think you’re missing the point.

I think he’s saying objectively striking sports are harder to tolerate. I’d be biased but its something I’d agree with.

Thats not to say grappling isn’t without its own hardships, but I think overall if you compared the rate and intensity of damage sustained by a boxer or kickboxer compared to a wrestler or BJJ student it would paint a concerning image for the striking sports.[/quote]

To Irish’s point, the head and face contact of boxing is way more intense for a beginner to deal with than tapping out of an arm bar. I’ve seen this for years as a karate practitioner. What separates the real deal from the wannabe is getting hit, usually in the face, and continuing. Unless this is trained in the gym or dojo it just isn’t going to suddenly happen in a real confrontation. Boxing trainig methods are what give it the advantage in real cnfrontations. In self defense mindset is over 90% of the battle and a well trained boxer has that. Boxing, not cardio boxing class members. It’s all about the person but the way one trains creates the fighter’s character and heart.


#12

Hmmm to the first point

I thought I was working hard - til I trained with better people

read that one a few times.
or in even plainer words - pack up your shine box
and go to train with people who are just flat out better

humble-
I think grapplers have more frequency- and even duration to their training
I speak on College wrestlers- vs tap out kids on the weekends.
on average you practice 3 -4 hours a day 5 to 6 days a week
and compete at least once a week 2x if your worth a shit and take it seriously.

also in a formal ( college - pro - or semi pro)
there is no ‘gearing up for a fight’
you are always training and competing
those hours take a serious toll on your health

after college - I trained full time for a bit and its
wear and tear is pretty intense.

all your sessions are live if you are a wrestler- or grappler
there are few few drills that you can do by yourself.
I could stop there - but I will spell it out

we aren’t albe to hit pads or heavy bags or shadow box.
not saying those are easy but no one is hitting back
nor are you carrying their weight during those sessions.

there is less protective gear- far less - if any save ear guards for wrestlers.
Matts arent really that soft.
Tatami less so.

just my two cents.


#13

[quote]humble wrote:
Yeah, I realised very early on MMA fighters are 99% bitches. Occassionally you get serious bad asses who fight and have all round skills, but the general majority are bitch made fuckers who hate being hit in the face, hate being kicked in the legs and certainly hate being hit in the body by a true stand up guy.

Fuck them and thumbs up to the few that are men.

Oh yeah, most MMA fan boys are also faggot wannabe bitches. Some admittedly and most in denial until someone smacks them in the teeth.[/quote]
too bad someone with rudimentary wrestling would make you look like a little bitch


#14

Thanks for a post that was actually on topic.


#15

A lot of you have crossed your wires. I didn’t say anything about Wrestlers. I didn’t say anything about judoka’s. I did say MMA fighters.

I’m 35 for those interested. 18 pro fights, 14 wins. Training for 20 years and fighting on and off since 1999. Not the most stellar record but all the MMA fighters I have worked with two who are in the UFC now too, are mostly bitches. Every single stand up fighter I have worked with has more heart in his left nut than 10 combined MMA fighters. It’s something you cannot fake. Some in the K1 now. A few pro boxers too.

Learn the difference between me calling an MMA fighter a bitch and the stupid reasoning some of you are putting forth. Some of you moronically jump to stupid comments like ‘until you get taken down’. Haha, ok, news flash, the whole reason you’re taking me down is because you’re a bitch who doesn’t want to take a licking. Even if you did take me down, which mind you is pretty hard since my back ground is Muay Thai and we rag doll cunts standing up, if I got into a fight with an MMA guy, guaranteed he’d be dead and I would walk away. Whilst he was busy trying to take my legs I’d be busy biting his fucking ears and nose off his face. Keep ‘competing’ in the street. See how far you’ll get. MMAers really take to the idea of ‘sport’ and carry it with them even through to real life.
Another news flash, take me down in the street and I won’t forget you have balls, eyes, a nose, ears, throat and mouth and I will make you regret paying for your ‘UFC’ training.

Carry on.


#16

In reflection, I probably could have worded my ‘moment of clarity’ a little more eloquently but here I was thinking we’re all mates and can talk freely.

Ok here goes.
In my humble experience as a Pro Muay Thai fighter and trainer and sparring partner who has worked with many fighters of all calibres, boxers, Muay thai fighters, MMA fighters, Karate guys etc., I have come to the conclusion that MMA fighters don’t really have the mind and spirit fortitude of boxers and Muay Thai fighters.

Whilst their athletic abilities might be broader if not similar to their fighting brethren, they do not posses the same gut wrenching toughness.
Some may argue that they have a broader skill set but I disagree. Application of a higher quantity of techniques does not raise one person above the other as being more skilled. The actual skill set of boxers is far superior as they fine tune nothing but their two hands, footwork and body movement. An MMA fighter by comparison cannot and it is rather stupid of them to ever think that they can have the skill set of someone who specialises in a particular technique. This is comparable to a MMA fighter thinking he can just waltz into a Judo competition and take out their best or a Muay Thai fighter thinking he can flip a switch and automatically be better than a boxer, just because he also knows how to kick and grapple.
Sure, they do have a few more techniques they can rely on but this is not the definition I give to ‘skill’.
Back to the point, that being as eloquently as you would like to put it and convey it, explain it or justify it either way, compared to a stand up fighter, the mentality of an MMA fighter, the heart and spirit is mostly (note I didn’t say every single one of them) is that of a…


… Bitch!


#17

A couple moments that come to mind are:

-the first time I boxed full contact with a good boxer and realized that all that Traditional Martial Arts and most of the JKD stuff that is out there wasn’t worth crap (there is some legit TMA and JKD stuff, but most is not IME). If you want effective punching skills, boxing is your surest bet (again, there are some others out there, but boxing is the most consistent and easily accessible).

-my first belt test, which completely changed my perspective of what it meant to be “in shape”. Consequently, this same realization happened with each subsequent belt up to black.

-the moment I was awarded my black belt (after a 24 hour long test) and realized that I indeed could do anything I put my mind to and that I indeed had developed an indomitable fighting spirit, but that I could not rest on my laurels and still had much development, learning, and growth ahead of me as a martial artist and person

Honestly, I’m lucky enough to be training with world class instructors on a regular basis, so I’m having “ah ha!” moments fairly regularly (even though I have come a long, long way from where I started and have already learned a fair amount), so these are just a few note able ones.


#18

Humble seems to just be having a tough time due to something that happened that he’s not telling us. I don’t blame him - I got no use for MMA and the culture surrounding it either. But I’m also not forced to be around it, as someone who does muay Thai or kickboxing might be. It’s kind of like they stay in their own little world and I stay in mind… kind of like the threads on MMA that pop up on this board. If they’re about fights or fighters, I just pretend they don’t exist.

That being said, I don’t think it was ever one, single game changing moment for me - more the slow realization that even with all my years of weightlifting, I STILL couldn’t take care of myself any more than the average guy on the street in a real fight. I mean, I’ve always known WHERE to hit, but I never truly knew how, and that bothered me. Especially when I was living a more raucous life then I am now.

If I had to name one moment that could be considered a real “change of thought process” moment, however, I’d say it was training the first time with my buddy who was an excellent grappler and a good striker. Working out with him, and realizing that the skills that I thought I had were absolutely pathetic compared to someone who had truly trained, was both disheartening and inspirational.

Since that first workout almost four years ago, I’ve always been studying some fighting art in one way or another.


#19

[quote]humble wrote:
A lot of you have crossed your wires. I didn’t say anything about Wrestlers. I didn’t say anything about judoka’s. I did say MMA fighters.

I’m 35 for those interested. 18 pro fights, 14 wins. Training for 20 years and fighting on and off since 1999. Not the most stellar record but all the MMA fighters I have worked with two who are in the UFC now too, are mostly bitches. Every single stand up fighter I have worked with has more heart in his left nut than 10 combined MMA fighters. It’s something you cannot fake. Some in the K1 now. A few pro boxers too.

Learn the difference between me calling an MMA fighter a bitch and the stupid reasoning some of you are putting forth. Some of you moronically jump to stupid comments like ‘until you get taken down’. Haha, ok, news flash, the whole reason you’re taking me down is because you’re a bitch who doesn’t want to take a licking. Even if you did take me down, which mind you is pretty hard since my back ground is Muay Thai and we rag doll cunts standing up, if I got into a fight with an MMA guy, guaranteed he’d be dead and I would walk away. Whilst he was busy trying to take my legs I’d be busy biting his fucking ears and nose off his face. Keep ‘competing’ in the street. See how far you’ll get. MMAers really take to the idea of ‘sport’ and carry it with them even through to real life.
Another news flash, take me down in the street and I won’t forget you have balls, eyes, a nose, ears, throat and mouth and I will make you regret paying for your ‘UFC’ training.

Carry on.[/quote]
compete in mma and then open your mouth, training is just that


#20

“A life changing moment”: After a “skinny” tried to kill me at 6 yards with a rusty AK , I have had a different perspective on all my training, whether its empty hands or weapons. Real life situations tend to cut through the bullshit…