One Running Shoe in the Grave

It’s such a load of bullshit its unbelievable.

WHat can possibly come of this article other than people not exercising?!

Anyways as always in the medical profession (especially researchers and Americans) there is a complete lack of common sense, and a complete lack of integration with other studies to form a hypothesis. It is utterly certain that the results of this study, when plotted against the innumerable other studies detailing the effects of obesity, mental health etc will be proven to be completely null and void.

This paper is only relevant for the particularly bizarre group of people who want to live for as long as possible, are committed to do everything they possibly can and have the money to do it. If everything is absolutely bang on and you have your perfect ‘looking 50 at 70 plan’, then the advice in the article may be really pertinent for you. Unfortunately uneducated and indiscriminate people will apply it to everyone, when for 99% of people it will have absolutely no relevance.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
I thought you were anonym for a minute there. I love it when he searches the original articles in the scientific journals and analyzes the stats for us.[/quote]

Cool! Glad to hear at least one person out there approves of my ramblings.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
I’d assume there’s a sweet spot where lifting is good for you as you age, and where it would have diminishing returns. It would be interesting to know what that is.[/quote]

You know some interesting factors to consider though are things like the increased bone density and connective tissue strength gained from lifting heavy weights. There may come a time in someone’s life when they should be considering things like fasted, calorie restricted diets, but for someone in their 20’s, perhaps more longevity of life on average could be gained from building a strong body. I’ve heard more than a couple stories of people hospitalized after bad car accidents whose doctors told them if their musculoskeletal structure hadn’t been so much stronger than normal, they’d be dead. You can take it all the way from that, to smaller stuff like being strong enough to fall out of a hammock without tearing your damn rotator cuff and needing surgery.

“If you think lifting weights is dangerous, try being weak. Being weak is dangerous.”
-Mr. Contreras

[quote]anonym wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
I thought you were anonym for a minute there. I love it when he searches the original articles in the scientific journals and analyzes the stats for us.[/quote]

Cool! Glad to hear at least one person out there approves of my ramblings.[/quote]

Ha! Glad you were reading along. :slight_smile: I completely appreciate your mad math/ statistical analysis/ put it in layman terms skills.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
I’d assume there’s a sweet spot where lifting is good for you as you age, and where it would have diminishing returns. It would be interesting to know what that is.[/quote]

You know some interesting factors to consider though are things like the increased bone density and connective tissue strength gained from lifting heavy weights. There may come a time in someone’s life when they should be considering things like fasted, calorie restricted diets, but for someone in their 20’s, perhaps more longevity of life on average could be gained from building a strong body. I’ve heard more than a couple stories of people hospitalized after bad car accidents whose doctors told them if their musculoskeletal structure hadn’t been so much stronger than normal, they’d be dead. You can take it all the way from that, to smaller stuff like being strong enough to fall out of a hammock without tearing your damn rotator cuff and needing surgery.

“If you think lifting weights is dangerous, try being weak. Being weak is dangerous.”
-Mr. Contreras[/quote]

Some good thoughts. And that’s a good quote. How often do we see older people who are too weak to get out of a chair, so they have to hold onto something to stand? I hope to never be in that place. And as a woman, avoiding osteoporosis is also huge. Of course, I don’t need to do really heavy squats and deadlifts into my 60’s to achieve that goal. I guess at some point we all have to weigh the benefits against the possible wear and tear on the body.

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]batman730 wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]batman730 wrote:
This just in: Moderation is good for you. Who knew?[/quote]

Does that include weight training intensity, duration, and frequency?

;)[/quote]

Yeah, I would definitely say you can overdo lifting, HIIT, protein/calorie consumption, sports and pretty much anything else until it stops being good for you long term. That doesn’t necessarily mean you shouldn’t do it if you feel strongly enough about it. None of us is making it out of here alive after all.

IMO the problem is the whole “if some is good let’s do a ridiculous amount to the exclusion of all else” followed by “whoa, a ridiculous amount isn’t good. Nobody should do that at all but they should do a ridiculous amount of this other thing instead” attitude. For example the whole steady state vs. HIIT thing. Huh, sprint intervals provide benefits that jogging doesn’t. Furthermore, too much jogging (especially without adequate nutrition and strength training) makes you skinny and week and being a serious marathoner may actually kill you. Ergo: nobody, under any circumstances should ever run more than 200m or do any sustained aerobic activity at all.

Maybe, unless you’re looking to be elite in a given sport, it would be healthier to do a some of each without being excessive with any? Maybe sprint sometimes, jog sometimes, lift sometimes, row/cycle sometimes and rest sometimes with a bias toward your individual goals.[/quote]

Yeah I agree with what you wrote.

I wonder if there’s just a higher risk for people who tend to take things ‘too far’ where too far is the point where it’s a not optimal for health. I think I take things too far, in any discipline and that’s my personality (defect or feature, depending on how you see things :wink: ) I’ll stay up all night working on something for days if the obsession du jour calls for it. I can imagine a lifetime of such things can add up and by the time I decided running is my thing I’ve already lived a life lacking in moderation that probably knocked some time of my lifespan =)

I’m still going to run as fast as I can.
[/quote]

x2. Good post, Batman. We tend to see the pendulum swing, with people getting caught up in whatever the fad of the day is. Low carb has certain benefits, so lets not eat ANY, and so forth.

Deb, I’d imagine quite a few of us tend toward the more “intense” end of the spectrum when it comes to exercise. I find it’s constantly a challenge to try to be balanced. I relate to what you said. If I’m really excited or focused on something it can become all consuming. :slight_smile: Go big or go home!