One Of Those Days...

I’m having one of those days…it seems like the whole world’s trying to kill off the people in the human race who actually give a damn by surrounding them with mediocrity and apathy, PC thought and forced pop culture, reaching the lowest common denominator and burying it even lower in the ground, and killing the soul’s fire for life and learning. So I’m asking everyone here if they’ve got something good that’s happened to post it here. What’s the upside to all this?

Well, in a few hours I’ll be heading home to spend Super Bowl weekend with my family. They’re an exceptional group of people, and it’s nice to know they’ll always be there when everyone else in the world really sucks.

Tomorrow night my brother, a couple of friends and I are going to enjoy a few drinks and watch Jim Gaffigan’s “Beyond the Pale” special. If you managed to get a hold of it, I think it would really lift your spirits. It’s one of the funniest comedy routines I’ve ever seen. It looks like they have it split up into four parts on Youtube.

Have you by any chance been in a college classroom today?

well, let’s see, I’ve had a pretty good week actually. Moved out of my folks house and into my own place on Saturday, rugby spring training started Monday, cable and internet got turned on yesterday, furnace got fixed today (yes, I moved into an apartment only to find out the furnace was broken, and it’s been below freezing the entire time (below zero a few nights)), work’s been good, I had steak for dinner last night and breakfast this morning, I have a possible offer for a new job and a lot more money coming up, URI basketball’s having a great season, and it’s about time for me to pack up and head home for the evening to watch some rugby. Oh yeah, and as of midnight last night, I officially went an entire month without a drop of beer, so I’m pretty proud of that, and can’t wait for a Guinness on the way home from work.

Sorry you’re day sucks man, but think about it this way, if we didn’t have the occasional shitty day, the good ones wouldn’t be anything special.

(sorry all, I’m just in way too good a mood right now)

Let’s see…I went to Videodroid and found a copy of The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension.

Then I went to Big Lots and got a 12-can case of Xyience RTD protein drinks for a mere five bucks.

That restores my faith in the workings of the universe.

I went to the gym. It was good.

[quote]m0dd3r wrote:
well, let’s see, I’ve had a pretty good week actually. Moved out of my folks house and into my own place on Saturday, rugby spring training started Monday, cable and internet got turned on yesterday, furnace got fixed today (yes, I moved into an apartment only to find out the furnace was broken, and it’s been below freezing the entire time (below zero a few nights)), work’s been good, I had steak for dinner last night and breakfast this morning, I have a possible offer for a new job and a lot more money coming up, URI basketball’s having a great season, and it’s about time for me to pack up and head home for the evening to watch some rugby. Oh yeah, and as of midnight last night, I officially went an entire month without a drop of beer, so I’m pretty proud of that, and can’t wait for a Guinness on the way home from work.

Sorry you’re day sucks man, but think about it this way, if we didn’t have the occasional shitty day, the good ones wouldn’t be anything special.

(sorry all, I’m just in way too good a mood right now)[/quote]

Hey, that’s good to hear! I guess you’re right, there’d be nothing to enjoy if you didn’t have to suffer sometimes…still, it doesn’t make it any prettier.

Guiness is a great bear. Maybe the best. Ok, I don’t want to have to choose just one but it’s a fav.

[quote]carter12 wrote:

[/quote]

Why, yes I have…both on the teaching end and on the learning end. How did you know?

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
carter12 wrote:

Why, yes I have…both on the teaching end and on the learning end. How did you know?

[/quote]

Because I get like what you’re describing a lot.

I’ve met some of the stupidest people I will ever meet in my life while in a college classroom.

I love to learn and love college but school sucks.

[quote]carter12 wrote:
Aragorn wrote:
carter12 wrote:

I’ve met some of the stupidest people I will ever meet in my life while in a college classroom.

I love to learn and love college but school sucks. [/quote]

Boy, I thought I was alone in this, but I’m glad you guys confirm my suspicions: college nowadays is a nest for morons

If the morons are the ones who go to college. What does that make all the seniors on my football team, who couldn’t get into college.

[quote]Zen warrior wrote:
carter12 wrote:
Aragorn wrote:
carter12 wrote:

Boy, I thought I was alone in this, but I’m glad you guys confirm my suspicions: college nowadays is a nest for morons

[/quote]

There’s stupid people everywhere you go, so pinning the moron tag on college isn’t necessarily fair.

[quote]Agressive Napkin wrote:
If the morons are the ones who go to college. What does that make all the seniors on my football team, who couldn’t get into college.[/quote]

Sheeple.

[quote]carter12 wrote:
Aragorn wrote:
carter12 wrote:

I love to learn and love college but school sucks. [/quote]

Yeah, I know what you mean. Also some of the smartest people I’ve ever met, but a lot of times it doesn’t seem to be enough to balance the scale out. When you have to teach too, it gives you a double whammy on those down days. Earlier yesterday I also finished getting through an article about the crisis with the high schoolers in the LA school district.

And, it was like, “hey, don’t teach these guys algebra in high school, they can’t handle it!” God forbid we actually expect something out of the students while they’re at school…did you know that only about 7% of all high schoolers in LA county score above 1000 on the SAT (that’s only 21 in ACT scores)?

According to the article anyway. And that’s only counting the people who took the test…not norming for all of the dropouts. It just basically insulted me for expecting something out of my students. Hey, I have an idea! Let’s not teach the kids anything because they’re too dumb to handle it!

We’ll just make them feel good about themselves for 12 years and then send them into the world. They won’t be able to read above a 4th grade level, won’t be able to do simple math, won’t be able to think critically, but doggonit they’ll have self-esteem and maybe stay in school for all 12 years it takes to graduate with a worthless diploma!

Sorry. Yeah, I know there are many problems in LA and other urban cities that feed the dropout rate and all that, but it’s insulting to think that someone wants to dumb things down further when all around me I see people who can barely tie their shoes in the morning–at college.

[quote]csuson wrote:
Zen warrior wrote:
carter12 wrote:
Aragorn wrote:
carter12 wrote:

There’s stupid people everywhere you go, so pinning the moron tag on college isn’t necessarily fair.
[/quote]

True enough. But it also validates stupid people. They can say, “look at me, I’ve got a degree, I must know everything” automatically. Also, blind idealism. I got news for you, life doesn’t live like a formula. I’m an idealist myself, but I’m smart enough to know that life, love, politics, and work just won’t match up all the time to a formula in humanities.

Oh well, I’m on the soapbox again [steps off]

“I’m just following the Irish tradition of songwriting, the Irish way of life, the human way of life. Cram as much pleasure into life, and rail against the pain you have to suffer as a result. Or scream and rant with the pain, and wait for it to be taken away with beautiful pleasure” -

Shane McGowan

Life is a terrible beauty. As hard as it is, every day you’re alive means you’re ahead of the game.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
csuson wrote:
Zen warrior wrote:
carter12 wrote:
Aragorn wrote:
carter12 wrote:

True enough. But it also validates stupid people. They can say, “look at me, I’ve got a degree, I must know everything” automatically. Also, blind idealism. I got news for you, life doesn’t live like a formula. I’m an idealist myself, but I’m smart enough to know that life, love, politics, and work just won’t match up all the time to a formula in humanities.

Oh well, I’m on the soapbox again [steps off][/quote]

Any fucktard can get through college. The only thing that keeps anyone from graduating is extreme laziness.

What sucks is that when i was there, there was only maybe four or five classes out of the 40 that I took that were worth a damn and that I remember anything from.

I learned more from my days as a Freshmen when I would skip class and go to barnes and Nobles and read books in the aisles about World history. Everyone should be required to go to a bookstore once a week…

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
I’m having one of those days…it seems like the whole world’s trying to kill off the people in the human race who actually give a damn by surrounding them with mediocrity and apathy, PC thought and forced pop culture, reaching the lowest common denominator and burying it even lower in the ground, and killing the soul’s fire for life and learning. So I’m asking everyone here if they’ve got something good that’s happened to post it here. What’s the upside to all this?[/quote]

Try this…

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
“I’m just following the Irish tradition of songwriting, the Irish way of life, the human way of life. Cram as much pleasure into life, and rail against the pain you have to suffer as a result. Or scream and rant with the pain, and wait for it to be taken away with beautiful pleasure” -

Shane McGowan

Life is a terrible beauty. As hard as it is, every day you’re alive means you’re ahead of the game. [/quote]

I see you know the motto of the self-loathing narcissists club.

If it helps, I’m on day 6 of the new V-Diet, and looking forward to a good hard workout tonight at the gym. Well that and I planned to have a grilled chicken salad tomorrow night with some friends from the gym.