One More Creatine Question

After lurking here for some time, I figured i could get an answer to a question I have regarding creatine use.

I’m a regular coffee drinker (2 cups per day).Will the caffeine intake hinder the effectiveness of my creatine? I thought I heard once that it did but I’m not sure.

“One more”? No, it’s never just “one more”, the creatine questions never stop!!!

Just kidding man, that’s what we’re here for!

For the record, I don’t think that your coffee consumption will have that big of an impact, particularly if you work out.

Now get back to watching Bifrost! :slight_smile:

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1117504439640.mh_Heimdall.gif

[quote]David Barr wrote:
“One more”? No, it’s never just “one more”, the creatine questions never stop!!!

Just kidding man, that’s what we’re here for!

For the record, I don’t think that your coffee consumption will have that big of an impact, particularly if you work out.

Now get back to watching Bifrost! :)[/quote]

Thanks, man. I’m back on th job!

Okay… I was thumbing through the lastes copy of Muscular Development. I ran across an article that stated that caffeine interfered with creatine absorption. According to some U.K. study, trainees were to forgo caffeine for six days (or weeks, can’t remember which) while loading on creatine. At the end of loading, they then took caffeine and performed sprints with performance improved over those that took creatine alone.

How they got that caffeine blocked creatine absorption from this, I don’t know. It seems the combo actually did better. I’ll have to do more research on this.

[quote]heimdall wrote:
Okay… I was thumbing through the lastes copy of Muscular Development. I ran across an article that stated that caffeine interfered with creatine absorption. According to some U.K. study, trainees were to forgo caffeine for six days (or weeks, can’t remember which) while loading on creatine. At the end of loading, they then took caffeine and performed sprints with performance improved over those that took creatine alone.

How they got that caffeine blocked creatine absorption from this, I don’t know. It seems the combo actually did better. I’ll have to do more research on this.[/quote]

Not only do I mix caffeine with creatine, I mix a few other stimulants as well. You have to be sure you take in enough water so that your muscles don’t cramp up. You can reap the benefits of both worlds if consumed correctly.

OD

Creatine & Caffeine… The Forbidden Combination? By JB

The creatine and caffeine issue has been discussed pretty extensively in both the athletic and scientific communities. However, most people don’t even know why such a debate exists. What exactly is the concern? Well let’s talk a little history.

The creatine and caffeine debate started about four years ago when one single scientific study concluded that “caffeine counteracts the effects of a creatine loaded muscle” (1). This statement was shocking because the purpose of the study was to see if the two agents could work together to increase exercise performance, not to see if they would interfere with each other. Researchers and athletes have long known that caffeine and creatine independently improve performance so a combination would be the next logical step.

Creatine works on the phosphocreatine and ATP systems while possibly buffering exercise produced hydrogen protons (acid), while caffeine demonstrates a powerful stimulation for the release of epinephrine. So theoretically, one could take both to gain more of a performance edge. But this study showed that maybe they don’t work together. Even further, it showed that maybe they interfere with each other. So if this is the case and caffeine does counteract the effect of a creatine loaded muscle then there is no debate. The answer is to avoid consuming beverages that contain caffeine if you want your money spent on creatine to work for you.

But as usually is the case, things are not so simple. Although some individuals avoid this combination like the plague, we don’t think this is necessary. So while you’re here, go ahead and grab a cup of coffee. Then add your desired amount of crystals - creatine, not sugar; if you haven’t already had your dose for the day. Based on further scientific data and scrutiny, you just might not have to give either one up.