T Nation

One Major Muscle Per Week Split

alot of people says that one muscle per week split is only for steroid use,
i would like to know if there is someone whho train one body part a day and got really good body from it ?(naturall of course no steroid use )
like :
1.chest
2.back
etc…

I trained that way for years when I first got into the gym. I also made gains from training that way. Could I have made better gains with a greater frequency? We’ll never know for sure, but in hindsight, there were a lot of things I didn’t know about back then, nor was I really as analytical about my own approaches as I am now.

Any split you undertake is going to have to fit into the rest of your life, not to mention be addressed by your diet and sleeping habits, and as such, if the approach you’re following is the only way you can get to the gym (ie. you can’t get there 3 days out of the week, leaving you with only 4 days to train), then your options will be somewhat limited, but certainly not so much that you can’t make gains.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I trained that way for years when I first got into the gym. I also made gains from training that way. Could I have made better gains with a greater frequency? We’ll never know for sure, but in hindsight, there were a lot of things I didn’t know about back then, nor was I really as analytical about my own approaches as I am now.

Any split you undertake is going to have to fit into the rest of your life, not to mention be addressed by your diet and sleeping habits, and as such, if the approach you’re following is the only way you can get to the gym (ie. you can’t get there 3 days out of the week, leaving you with only 4 days to train), then your options will be somewhat limited, but certainly not so much that you can’t make gains.

S[/quote]
so why people say it is only for steroid use ?

For me lifting is a life long endeavor, and finding a style of training you enjoy has to play a big role. It’s nice to talk about what gives the best results, but what you enjoy, and will stick to consistently over the long haul is to me equally, if not more important. I’ve seen people make gains on all sorts of programs, from once a week, to everyday. I recommend OP you do what you enjoy, and believe in it. Goodluck

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
For me lifting is a life long endeavor, and finding a style of training you enjoy has to play a big role. It’s nice to talk about what gives the best results, but what you enjoy, and will stick to consistently over the long haul is to me equally, if not more important. I’ve seen people make gains on all sorts of programs, from once a week, to everyday. I recommend OP you do what you enjoy, and believe in it. Goodluck[/quote]
ty

[quote]light_night wrote:

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

S[/quote]
so why people say it is only for steroid use ?
[/quote]

Because SOME people think they know more about everything and everyone than they really do.

S

MAX-OT?

Saying it only works with steroid is an opinion, not a fact.

[quote]JFG wrote:
MAX-OT?

Saying it only works with steroid is an opinion, not a fact.[/quote]
how can it be for steroid use if u have more recovery than any other split ?

You guys really aren’t going to have this argument are you

JFG wrote:
MAX-OT?

Saying it only works with steroid is an opinion, not a fact.

how can it be for steroid use if u have more recovery than any other split ?

Does the body get more rest on a whole body, 3x a week, – or 6 days a week, demolishing a body part a day. Stop think, lets learn to work together, find what’s similar between our workout styles —BBing—PLing—Athletics—That way we can all get bigger, and stronger, combining gems from all three, like CT does, seems to work well.

There’s no reason to do a body part split until you get a solid foundation of strength first. Start with full body workouts or an upper/lower split first. Incorporate both low rep strength work and high rep hypertrophy work to get a solid base. Then, after a few years switch to a bodypart split if you so choose.

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
You guys really aren’t going to have this argument are you

[/quote]

Nope, Im leaving that horse in peace.

I have used the same split for the past two years and have seen better gains then when I was doing more strength based training for sports.

Sunday: Chest
Monday: Back
Tuesday: Legs
Wednesday: Reast
Thursday: Arms
Friday: Shoulders
Saturday: High Frequency Low Weight Leg work

I work legs twice a week because they are my lagging body part.

I am not saying this is the best way or most effective way to train but it has certainly worked best for me and my goals.

there are a ton of different factors that go into designing a routine.

but generally speaking beginners and intermediate do tend to respond better to higher frequency programs. a beginner does not have the ability to tax their body enough to warrant 7 days of rest, why train something once a week when it could be hit 2-3 times week?

regarding the use of steroid and splita like this… trainees who are using moderate to high dosages of gear are able keep protein synthesis levels elevated for higher amounts of time compared to nattys where it typiclly only last 2-3 days after training a muscle.

if you do a bit of research you will find just about every high level bodybuilder from the 40’s up untill the late 80’s trained every muscle group 2-3 times a week. it wasnt until bodybuilders really started pushing the envelope with drug use that we saw these kinds of splits become “common” even now alot of them are getting back to more frequent training.

if you honestly enjoy this style of training then by all means continue to do so. but its been proven scientifically and through anecdotal evidence that it is not the most optimal way to go about training as a a natural or someone on low dosages of gear… not to say you still cant make great gains training a muscle group once a week.

Works perfectly well just make sure you get a good amount of volume and/or go heavy on at least one big lift.

Also no one split works forever

[quote]ryan.b_96 wrote:
there are a ton of different factors that go into designing a routine.

but generally speaking beginners and intermediate do tend to respond better to higher frequency programs. a beginner does not have the ability to tax their body enough to warrant 7 days of rest, why train something once a week when it could be hit 2-3 times week?

regarding the use of steroid and splita like this… trainees who are using moderate to high dosages of gear are able keep protein synthesis levels elevated for higher amounts of time compared to nattys where it typiclly only last 2-3 days after training a muscle.

if you do a bit of research you will find just about every high level bodybuilder from the 40’s up untill the late 80’s trained every muscle group 2-3 times a week. it wasnt until bodybuilders really started pushing the envelope with drug use that we saw these kinds of splits become “common” even now alot of them are getting back to more frequent training.

if you honestly enjoy this style of training then by all means continue to do so. but its been proven scientifically and through anecdotal evidence that it is not the most optimal way to go about training as a a natural or someone on low dosages of gear… not to say you still cant make great gains training a muscle group once a week.[/quote]
so what is the optimal program ?
i just want to make the best i will be happy to hear ,
and how do u explain it alot of naturall pro bodybuilder doing this split example:
rob rich ,Adam Charlton,Lex Griffin,greg plit etc…
and they are the best

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
Works perfectly well just make sure you get a good amount of volume and/or go heavy on at least one big lift.

Also no one split works forever[/quote]
my split is :
chest :bench press
back : deadlift
rest
shoulder: barbell press
legs : squat
arms…

German volume training is supposed to be good for hypertrophy and hits each major muscle group once a week AFAICR.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:

Also no one split works forever[/quote]
my split is :
chest :bench press
back : deadlift
rest
shoulder: barbell press
legs : squat
arms…
[/quote]

yep, that will work fine

what do u think guys about this routine :
1.pull
2.push
3.legs
4.rest
5.repeat
train each muscle twice a week ??

what do u think guys about this routine :
1.pull
2.push
3.legs
4.rest
5.repeat
train each muscle twice a week ??[/quote]

1. If you put Legs on the second day (ie, Pull/Legs/Push/Off), it will give your upper-body tendons a well-timed opportunity to recover.
  2. A minor correction: On a 3 on/1 off split such as this, everything is worked twice every 8 days, not twice a week.