One Low Carb & Calorie Day a Week?

I’m trying to remember; but it’s hard when you’re aging, if there was some article here (or elsewhere) about when you are trying to gain mass that it’s a good idea to have a low carb AND calorie day?

Can anyone else remember this and/or provide link?

I think CT was talking about having a low protein day at one point, where you essentially just ate a small amount, taking in much significantly protein than normal. The goal would be to create an enhanced anabolic effect the next day/subsequent days. This isn’t exactly what you’re talking about, but somewhat.

Carb cycling is fine for mass gain, but I think cals should always be high. Low protein (~50-70 grams) is okay too, CT did talk about it a while back. I don’t have it bookmarked though.

I remember the article but don’t have the link. He refers to them as “control days” perhaps that will help you find the article.

From what I recall a control day was to restrict carbs to 50g once a week.

thanks for the help thus far guys. control days is the term i was looking for in my brain.

While a control day should be lower than your typical (baseline) intake, it doesn’t have to always be <50g of carbs, with insanely low calories. Sometimes just a slight dip (noticeable, but nothing insane) will give a slight bump up to your metabolism, and even burn through a little extra glycogen on those days.

S

@Stu - With respect to what you said, that burning up a little extra glycogen on one day would be a good thing for mass gaining – do you think the same result could be achieved by adding in an HIIT session? or a combo of slightly lowering carbs and doing the HIIT

I think there are a number of possible ways to ‘upset’ things so to speak. The problem with a constant diet, or even a constant mass gain, is that the body adjusts to everything if it’s static, day in and day out. The brilliance of any sort of cyclical approach (even if it’s a couple of control days, or a couple of days where small bouts of cardio offset the constant caloric intake), is that it can serve as a slight preventative measure against metabolic adjustment, essentially keeping things ‘speeding along’ better. You can still have the majority of your days geared towards gaining, but those few days that you pull back somehow will keep your body guessing (which will equate to less chance of shifting into “we’ve got plenty of nutrients, so just store what we don’t need” - mode)

S

Interesting thoughts! I suppose I could consider a refeed day while I diet a control day – I lower my protein intake from 1.5g/lb. of bodyweight to 1g/lb. & increase my carbohydrates by 75-100%.

I think I’m going to adopt this idea. Sorta a carb cycling where i’ll have some super high carb days, a control day, a low carb day and some medium carb days. Keeping my calories above maintenance for all but the control days.

This might help: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_supplements/mag10_pulse_fast

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
This might help: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_supplements/mag10_pulse_fast[/quote]

lol, weird how that came out right after i posted.

should be interesting, but i wanna do more research and wait a bit to see how things go.

[quote]B rocK wrote:

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
This might help: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_supplements/mag10_pulse_fast
[/quote]

lol, weird how that came out right after i posted.

should be interesting, but i wanna do more research and wait a bit to see how things go.
[/quote]

Why do more research, when you can be the research?

Go for it!

LR

[/quote]

LR[/quote]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is what people should concentrate on. It’s ok to read and educate yourself, but there is also a time when you need to jump in the pool.

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:
[/quote]

LR[/quote]

This is what people should concentrate on. It’s ok to read and educate yourself, but there is also a time when you need to jump in the pool.[/quote]

Definitely. I’m doing a once per week pulse fast starting tomorrow. I plan on doing it at least 2 months, taking pictures and tracking everything to see how effective it is

[quote]ashylarryku wrote:

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:
[/quote]

LR[/quote]

This is what people should concentrate on. It’s ok to read and educate yourself, but there is also a time when you need to jump in the pool.[/quote]

Definitely. I’m doing a once per week pulse fast starting tomorrow. I plan on doing it at least 2 months, taking pictures and tracking everything to see how effective it is[/quote]

We have a winner folks. Come on down and claim your prize. No, but I rather see how you respond to this approach as apposed to reading someone’s article. Look forward to the pics and stats updates.