T Nation

One Lift a Day

145LB
5’11
10%

Im planning on starting the one lift a day program, im new to bbing and i figured i would start small. Has anyone here done the olad program? just looking for some tips or a workout journal.

Do rippetoes. If you’re new you probably won’t be able to cause enough damage each workout for it to be effective. If you need the rippetoes link just ask for it.

[quote]OLAD wrote:
145LB
5’11
10%

Im planning on starting the one lift a day program, im new to bbing and i figured i would start small. Has anyone here done the olad program? just looking for some tips or a workout journal.[/quote]

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Do rippetoes. If you’re new you probably won’t be able to cause enough damage each workout for it to be effective. If you need the rippetoes link just ask for it.[/quote]

Welcome: If you are beginning weight training, then you will indeed in all likelihood benefit most quickly in terms of strength gains and learning technique from the kind of program just mentioned. In either case, the site search function (upper right hand of your screen) will provide you with links to threads containing more information on specific programs.

One Lift a Day is not “starting small”. It’s an advanced technique. I concur with the Rippetoe program.

One Lift A Day is advanced?

Not sure I agree with that, although I think I see where you’re coming from. I did it when I only had maybe four months of serious training under my belt. I made progress.

On the other hand, I basically just picked an exercise, did 5x5 with it M-F (changing lifts each day), because it didn’t feel like enough volume.

To the OP- I do recommend Rippetoes. OLAD is good, and you’ll gain from it. But Rippetoe’s is probably better from the standpoint that you get a higher frequency of training exposure, and it’ll help you lift more in a shorter amount of time.

[quote]Otep wrote:
One Lift A Day is advanced?

Not sure I agree with that, although I think I see where you’re coming from. I did it when I only had maybe four months of serious training under my belt. I made progress.

On the other hand, I basically just picked an exercise, did 5x5 with it M-F (changing lifts each day), because it didn’t feel like enough volume.[/quote]

The way Dan John originally wrote it, it was a spare day to focus on 1 element of your lifting and was intended for Olympic lifters or strongman competitors. "One lift: either Power Clean and Press, Power Snatch and Overhead Squat (might be best
of the lot), Front Squat, Power Clean.

Some kind of carry: Farmers Walk, maybe that �??Dead lift carry�?? idea, sandbags." I’m sure less advanced people could do it but my point was that it wasn’t intended as a program to be followed by a beginner.

In Get Up Vol 1 # 6, he talks about doing it for a couple of weeks leading up to a competition so it’s not just a once a week thing, it can be a whole cycle.

[quote]OLAD wrote:
145LB
5’11
10%

Im planning on starting the one lift a day program, im new to bbing and i figured i would start small. Has anyone here done the olad program? just looking for some tips or a workout journal.[/quote]

Pick a beginner program, One Lift a Day is more advanced and chances are your not gonna be using enough weight to make each session really worth it

I “liked” the One Lift A Day program. But you got to focused and really bring it during workouts. If you can’t or half ass it, it is essentially like having two weeks between lifts. Which is bad IMO.
I dropped the program after the first time I half assed a workout, had one of those going through the motions mornings.

Well, One lift a day is pushing the not really doing enough limit. But then again look at sports starts like Brady Quinn. He only did two lifts a day, but it was the way he did them that helped him achieve his phisique. So if you are doing one lift a day, atleast use a heavy loading method, i suggest clusters, or some other way so you work with that weight alot.

For info. on the Brady workout: www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=fitness&category=workout.plans&c
onitem=405c51fb9b523110VgnVCM20000012281eac____

For info on Heavy loading:
http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/lets_get_nasty&cr=

[quote]Brucelee69 wrote:
Well, One lift a day is pushing the not really doing enough limit. But then again look at sports starts like Brady Quinn. He only did two lifts a day, but it was the way he did them that helped him achieve his phisique. So if you are doing one lift a day, atleast use a heavy loading method, i suggest clusters, or some other way so you work with that weight alot.

For info. on the Brady workout: www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=fitness&category=workout.plans&c
onitem=405c51fb9b523110VgnVCM20000012281eac____

For info on Heavy loading:
http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/lets_get_nasty&cr=[/quote]

Once again I don’t think a beginner needs to be using techniques like cluster to build muscle… he should just stick to the basics