T Nation

One Lift A Day, Squared?

Been reading on the OLAD program, sounds pretty interesting and I am looking for something to go into after Rippetoe’s starting strength.

Is it ok to do this program, but to do it twice a day? What I mean is, do one lift in the AM, and another PM. I want to do it similar to Waterbury’s high frequency program, where you superset antagonist excercises, but instead of supersetting in the same workout I would do them am/pm. So for instance, pull ups in the morning and mil press at night, or bench press in the am and bent over rows in pm.

Any thoughts on this?

Isn’t one (lift) squared still one?

[quote]Eickst wrote:
Been reading on the OLAD program, sounds pretty interesting and I am looking for something to go into after Rippetoe’s starting strength.

Is it ok to do this program, but to do it twice a day? What I mean is, do one lift in the AM, and another PM. I want to do it similar to Waterbury’s high frequency program, where you superset antagonist excercises, but instead of supersetting in the same workout I would do them am/pm. So for instance, pull ups in the morning and mil press at night, or bench press in the am and bent over rows in pm.

Any thoughts on this?[/quote]

I’m no expert on olad training. But how about you just go ahead and try it and then tell us if/how it worked?

Seems like a much better way then asking us to speculate.

If I had to give you an answer, I’d say go for it, but then do shorter workouts.

[quote]Eickst wrote:

Any thoughts on this?[/quote]

Is your program still working? If the answer is yes, then why change anything? If the answer is no, then, well, you could try what you propose, but why not try the OLAD program as intented first, and then, after a cycle or two, see if you have to adjust anything. But bear in mind that training volume isn’t something you can just decide to increase by two-fold in one day. You have to build up the work capacity for that. Also, cramming bunch of different principles and ides into one, supposedly “perfect” program, won’t make you gain any faster, and it is an overkill in majority of cases.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
Isn’t one (lift) squared still one?[/quote]

yup, exactly what i was thinking

[quote]redsox348984 wrote:
Loose Tool wrote:
Isn’t one (lift) squared still one?

yup, exactly what i was thinking[/quote]

The point of course being, a second workout with a different lift is additive. You no longer have OLAD, but 2LAD. If you perform the first lift of the day with the intensity that you should, will there be enough in left the tank to perform second lift with the same intensity? Consistently?

Based on your guys feedback, I am just going to do OLAD as it was intended. I was going to try it AM and PM because I have the time to do so, but don’t have time to do 2 longer workouts.

So I’ll let everyone know how it goes.

[quote]Eickst wrote:
Based on your guys feedback, I am just going to do OLAD as it was intended. I was going to try it AM and PM because I have the time to do so, but don’t have time to do 2 longer workouts.

So I’ll let everyone know how it goes.[/quote]

If you really think you’ll have enough energy for some kind of PM session, check the post “OLAD plus Crossfit” in “The Over 35 Lifter” forum.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=778502

And, of course, “The OLAD Support Group”:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=721887

It seems to me that you’d be far better off busting twice as much ass in the AM, and spending your PM eating and sleeping. Just a thought.

-Sab