T Nation

One Leg GHR

Has anyone seen this done? And how would you train to be able to do this exercise? I would imagine you would do negatives untill you can fully lower yourself.

Thanks in advance
Will42

1. One leg deadlifts, pistol squats, romanian and ghr’s to start
  2. Heavier one leg deadlifts, pistol squats while holding weight, romanian and ghr’s.
  3. Keep increasing weight with the one leg deads, heavier pistol squats and assisted one leg ghr’s with an assisted negative from a spotter
  4. All the same as 3, less assistance on the one leg ghr’s from a spotter.
  5. One leg GHR’s!

Core work is a must while training to complete a 1 leg ghr.

This is pretty much the progression that I used and nailed it in 3 weeks or so. I started being able to do 20 or so regular ghr’s on a good ghr bench before I tried this.

Progression is vital when trying this because of the strain on the hammie and other posterior could lead to an injury.

Good luck.

Kir Dog,
Can you post a video of your 1 leg GHR please.

[quote]strive wrote:
Kir Dog,
Can you post a video of your 1 leg GHR please.[/quote]

Strive,
I would if I could, but I don’t have videos of any of my exercises or accomplishments. Also, I moved gyms and no longer have access to a ghr (which bums me out), oly lifting platforms or the other cool things that my University gym had.

I also forgot to include above that weighted ghr’s may help. I never got over a 70lb db before I stopped doing weighted ghr’s. So if you can’t do a ghr with 25lbs in your arms, get working because the one leg ghr is attainable, but in the distance.

Kir Dog,

Do you think it had any carry over to your squat or deadlift?

I doubt that one leg ghr’s had a major carry over to my dead or squat. I was training to do a lot of one legged exersices for track and unilateral explosiveness. They were kind of a suppliment to my brutal leg workouts last spring. In the time I was training a lot of one leg work, my squat was rising at a slow and shallow incline, but that’s normal for a 25 yr old that does a lot of leg work, including squats.

All in all, with my training I found that one leg work doesn’t really boost my squat or dead like I thought it would. It does however improve my quickness, explosiveness and balance, as well as doctor some of my imbalances.

I found that I’m very good at one leg work and avg at big heavy compound lifts like the dead and squat. Example, I can pistol squat with a heavy db (70-100lbs) but I can only front squat in the low 300’s and my dead has never been much over 450. My bw is in the low 200’s.

[quote]Kir Dog wrote:
I found that I’m very good at one leg work and avg at big heavy compound lifts like the dead and squat. Example, I can pistol squat with a heavy db (70-100lbs) but I can only front squat in the low 300’s and my dead has never been much over 450. My bw is in the low 200’s.[/quote]

Thanks for the response. I think I am the opposite. I can’t pistol squat anything, but my squat and dead are both in the low-mid 500’s. I also suck at lunges and split squats, but maybe that’s because I never do them.