One Kidney

Due to a rare childhood disease called Wilms tumor, I had to have a kidney removed. I have my left one, which works fine, but I never got to play football or hockey since I was 7 years old. Anyways, I have put on some weight during the past year, and know that I need to start dialing in my diet. My question(s) is this: Do I need to take my one kidney into account when I figure out my protein intake? Do different proteins matter? I work at GNC (insert laughter here), but of all the research I have access to, I haven’t found any specific research on this. If anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

why don’t you ask one of your knowledgable GNC co-workers…

lol… sorry, i have no answer for you

jaystyles

I would be intrested to find out the info also. I too only have one kidney. I didnt have one removed though, I was born with only one. I am 16 and the doctors didnt find out till about a year ago. I am healthy and my kidney functions fine, except my blood pressure is a little high. Any info would be appreciated.

I almost had one of mine removed. The dam thing fixed its self pretry good (Snowboarding I broke it in half causing some bad internal bleeding) Sorry just a little story …I wish I could help. I would sure find out about it though. Maybe you should sent John Berardi an e mail
Good luck

Hey, there, tizokey!!!

It sounds a little like you’re asking if 1.5g of protein x LBM would be hard on the kidneys. I know that’s not what you’re asking, but protein is not hard on normal, healthy, functioning kidneys any more than it would be hard on A kidney. Saying it another way, 1.5g of protein x LBM won’t be any harder on your one kidney than 3g of protein would be on 2. (grin)

Go ahead and dial in your diet without fear. Working out hard, doing a little cardio, creating a slight caloric deficit, getting SUFFICIENT protein and fat and manipulating carb intake and timing will get you to where you want to go.

Just listen to your body. If you start feeling bad or funny, get in for blood work.

If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask.